• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Franky

Reaction score
Sup guys,

Any advice on sizing the XIM horsebit loafer? Carmina suggested 7.5 UK but want to see if anyone has any advice here.

8 EE/E US Brannock
C&J 325 7.5 E UK - a tiny bit big - or maybe not big but some heel slip because the soles are pretty damn stiff.
Meermin Hiro 7.5 G UK - pretty nice fit
Alden Van 7.5 E - Good fit
Alden Trubalance 7.5EE - Great fit
Allen Edmonds 65 8E - Good snug fit

KarlHungus

Reaction score
I decided on a pair of MTO Carmina boots in shell, but I'm reconsidering this decision after reading your horror story…
Fear not. I think the issue with his order was related to exotic leather. Carmina is great with shell and usually on the ball with MTOs (in my experience)

MTO CXL brogue to go with my tweed today
IMG20240126103144.jpg

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
got a call from Carmina thursday that my order came in but there was an issue, so I went to the store on friday to take a look. ordered grey vegano shoes and a matching belt. the belt came in and it's grey. the shoes are do dark they're basically black, so they're going to be remade. anyone know if this means i move to the back of the line again?

User888

Reaction score
got a call from Carmina thursday that my order came in but there was an issue, so I went to the store on friday to take a look. ordered grey vegano shoes and a matching belt. the belt came in and it's grey. the shoes are do dark they're basically black, so they're going to be remade. anyone know if this means i move to the back of the line again?
Just think that you do and that it will take some time so you save yourself from more disappointments

Reaction score
Dear All,

I have a question regarding Carmina's lasts and I figured out that this is probably the best place to ask for help.

Currently, I own one pair of Carmina shoes on the Forest last in size 8.5 UK. These shoes fit me very well from heel to ball.
However, the toe box tapers in way too early for my feet. My toes are squeezed together so badly that I can only walk for a couple of minutes in these shoes before my feet start to cramp.

Therefore, I am looking for a last that fits similarly to Forest from heel to ball, but provides far more toe space.
To be more exact, I am not necessarily looking for a last:
- that is higher in the toe box;
- that is wider at the ball;
- that is significantly higher volume in the toe box.
Rather, I am looking for a last that tapers in later and, preferably, is also more asymetrical (more width/straighter on the big toe side).

I have made extensive use of the last comparison tool, but I am aware of the loss of information that occurs when projecting the 3D last shape on a 2D plane.
Nevertheless, by combining the projections from the last comparison tool with the information in this thread and the other sizing thread, I came to the conclusion that Oscar and Soller are probably my best bets.
Oscar appears to fit pretty similarly to Forest from heel to ball, but I'm afraid that its toebox is still too tapered for me.
On paper, Soller appears to offer the most toe space of all Carmina lasts, but at the expense of a (far?) bigger heel and instep.

Do you think that any of these lasts (or any other Carmina last) could work for me? Or am I better off looking elsewhere?

Thank you for your advice.

For your reference: I did not yet encounter a RTW last that fits me well.
TLB Mallorca's Howard last in 8.5 UK is the closest I got. This last is a bit too big in the heel and instep, and still too tight in the toes, but works quite well for me with non-captoe shoes in a soft leather and the usage of a tongue pad.
I did not try anything yet above Carmina's price level.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
Carmina is so weird to me these days. I fit perfectly into the Detroit last in 2017. I ordered this year and it was super loose on me - I pinged carmina on it and they said they changed the last.

Now I just tried one on a forest last. I have two pairs in the forest which are snug on me, but fit well generally (bought around 2015). This pair felt like it was an entire size smaller - I could barely fit my feet into it. I emailed about it - this time they didn’t confess to changing the last and want to charge $35 to return. Not sure how shoes in the same last could fit so differently…

So for sizing recommendations, I thought I had the brand down cold with sizing, but now I don’t know which last sizes have been changed and which are made inconsistently. I’m on to a new brand as it is too much of a crapshoot. Thankfully, Alden Barrie is almost identical to the old Detroit last which fit perfectly (wondering if that’s what they modeled it after) so I’m starting there.

I have a question regarding Carmina's lasts and I figured out that this is probably the best place to ask for help.

Currently, I own one pair of Carmina shoes on the Forest last in size 8.5 UK. These shoes fit me very well from heel to ball.
However, the toe box tapers in way too early for my feet. My toes are squeezed together so badly that I can only walk for a couple of minutes in these shoes before my feet start to cramp.

Therefore, I am looking for a last that fits similarly to Forest from heel to ball, but provides far more toe space.
Rather, I am looking for a last that tapers in later and, preferably, is also more asymetrical (more width/straighter on the big toe side).

I have made extensive use of the last comparison tool, but I am aware of the loss of information that occurs when projecting the 3D last shape on a 2D plane.
Nevertheless, by combining the projections from the last comparison tool with the information in this thread and the other sizing thread, I came to the conclusion that Oscar and Soller are probably my best bets.
Oscar appears to fit pretty similarly to Forest from heel to ball, but I'm afraid that its toebox is still too tapered for me.
On paper, Soller appears to offer the most toe space of all Carmina lasts, but at the expense of a (far?) bigger heel and instep.

Do you think that any of these lasts (or any other Carmina last) could work for me? Or am I better off looking elsewhere?

TLB Mallorca's Howard last in 8.5 UK is the closest I got. This last is a bit too big in the heel and instep, and still too tight in the toes, but works quite well for me with non-captoe shoes in a soft leather and the usage of a tongue pad.

iva80

Reaction score
Dear All,

Try Llubi. I have the same issues with shoes, my toes need more space, but my foot is rather normal.
Llubi is a comfortable last. The instep may be a a bit lower.
Based on my research, Soller would the only last that is worth a try for myself.

I have not tried any other lasts from Carmina because it is expensive to return shoes.

In comparison to Llubi:
- Trickers W2298 - I had same problem with cramped toes
- Meermin HOK - wearable, but still too tight in toe area (contemplating trying the Negon last. they say it is wider)
- Meermin Rod - I sized up to 8UK and got decent fit with a slim insert ( a bit of heel slip, but perfect in the toes)
- Loake 024 - Tight in toes
- Loake Pennine G fit - generous and confortable fit
- Septieme Largeur 7505 - could fit in the original size. Wearable, but a bit short. Sized up to 8uk and they are ok-ish with an insert.

Hope this helps

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Dear All,

Soller will give you more room at toes and heel is still relatively narrow. Rain has more room at toes as well but heel is significantly wider than same size in Forest or Soller

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided on a pair of MTO Carmina boots in shell, but I'm reconsidering this decision after reading your horror story…

Shell and calf don't seem to have the bureaucracy associated with crossing imaginary lines (borders) that exotics do.

the lack of knowledge displayed by members of both spanish and NYC staff (and subsequent dumpster fire of varying locations/statuses of the boots some may consider "untruthful"), however, does leave a significant amount to be desired.

Also as an update, they arrived in Leipzig on the 18th. Still there according to DHL's info....but despite saying they were sending them to me, it still has NYC as the destination. Oy vey.

Reaction score
Try Llubi. I have the same issues with shoes, my toes need more space, but my foot is rather normal.
Llubi is a comfortable last. The instep may be a a bit lower.
Based on my research, Soller would the only last that is worth a try for myself.
Thank you for the advice.
You mention that Llubi might have a lower instep; this is somewhat surprising to me because I've seen many people mention that Llubi has a high instep and is the roomiest of all Carmina's lasts.
When you mention instep, do you consider purely the height under the vamp or rather the total volume under the vamp?

And to be honest, I don't find Llubi to be a particularly attractive last. It's perfectly fine in top-down view, but this small up-turn at the very tip doesn't appeal to me at all. Then again, I do have the same issue with my TLB Howards and it doesn't really bother me when they are on my feet.

Soller will give you more room at toes and heel is still relatively narrow. Rain has more room at toes as well but heel is significantly wider than same size in Forest or Soller
Thank you for the advice.
Rain will not work for me: the heel and instep are too big and the toebox is too narrow.

With thick socks (I want to order a boot), I can/should size up to 9 UK on the Forest last.
I imagine that this will be similar for the Oscar last, but will not apply to Soller. What would provide me with the most toe space: Oscar in 9 UK or Soller in 8.5 UK?

I have read somewhere on this forum that Oscar provides a bit more big toe room than Soller, whereas Soller provides more room for the pinky toe. This is something that definitely biases me towards Oscar but I would gladly hear your opinion on this.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered these in 7.5 for the gf's big 30th birthday present next year.

Hard to say no to BF's free matching belt offer.

Exactly 8 weeks later they finally shipped these from Spain. Should arrive Monday.

They shipped via DHL, had to pay taxes which is expected.

Deelan

Reaction score
I ordered once Carmina boot from the outlet. the printed size was 7.5, but they were definitely 8 or 8.5. Carmina took them back on my shipping cost. Afterwards they refunded me in full since they probably they noticed there is a genuine problem with the boots.

I mention that I wrote them about the issues the day I received them.
I returned my boots to Carmina unused, so I suspect you have the exact boots that I returned!

I was puzzled about the fit. If this boot is really a size 11, I would have thought you'd see more forum discussion about just how incredibly long the Soller is (felt like a full size off in length). Yet most seem to find it normal to slightly generous compared to other Carmina lasts. I also thought it was large in volume but didn't try them enough to really judge, as the length was so far off.

Between the more common Carmina lasts, Forest isn't the largest and this seems to be a common assesment. 11.5 fits me well and I wouldn't size down to an 11. I have the Rain in 11, fits well in terms of length and volume if slightly tight on the pinky toe.

The Stow isn't a good fit for me, wide but too short and shallow in the toe in size 11, too large in 12. I'm not familiar with the CJ 365. The Cheaney 12508 and 125 are good, snug fits for me, I also have a few good fitting pairs in Sargent 87 size 11.5.
I asked Carmina to compare Soller to Forest for sizing on my order. Below is the picture they provided. I think this clearly shows that Soller is a large fitting last. The diagram would have one suspect that Soller fits 0.5-1.0 full sizes larger.
I received my Forest boots along with a Lloret last boot both in 11.5UK this week and can confirm that the 11UK Soller boots fit nearly 1 full size larger than both of them even though they are 11.5.
attachment

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I asked Carmina to compare Soller to Forest for sizing on my order. Below is the picture they provided. I think this clearly shows that Soller is a large fitting last. The diagram would have one suspect that Soller fits 0.5-1.0 full sizes larger.
I received my Forest boots along with a Lloret last boot both in 11.5UK this week and can confirm that the 11UK Soller boots fit nearly 1 full size larger than both of them even though they are 11.5.
attachment
Soller is definitely a larger fitting last. I don't recall the exact details of HOW Soller fit me but I remember it fit me in a 7UK. To even get forest on my foot I had to go with 7.5EEE UK.

ABM

Reaction score
attachment

My experience exactly - I'd say a least a size. Forest 11.5 is a good fit for me; Soller 11 was far too long and voluminous.

Looking at those charts, it's clear why you'd suspect the shoes were marked wrong. It's a bit unfortunate for a last to be so big it's basically the "wrong size", rather than just calibrating sizes...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads