• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marshak

Reaction score
It would help this gents case if he wasn't being disingenuous in the first place. Carmina isn't say, "this is totally unfixable" they are saying (as politely as possible) that they will not repair his shoe 9 months later.

There are not moving parts in shoes where a small tear goes 3 inches through multiple layers of leather (inner lining and outer leather) and rips a big chunk off the piping and through the heel padding and begins to unwind the binding inside. There are physical stresses that have to be put on a shoe to do these things and I can think of only a few ways for this to happen and none of them seem to be Carmina's fault.

First of all, I haven't been disingenuous. Complaining that a 400 euro shoe, used under perfectly normal conditions and maintained in a proper way, goes to pieces after nine months seems natural to me. My annoyance comes from the fact that the customer service immediately disengaged themselves from any responsibility and that they could not do anything anyway. Basically that I had to take the loss and shut up. I must have had about 30 pairs of different brands in 30 years and this is the first time this has happened to me, hence my legitimate surprise. A pair whose leather cracks after five years of intensive use is normal, but not a nine-month-old pair with a broken heel. It's a very average way to deal with your customers. I gave the pair to my cobbler who confirmed that it was perfectly repairable even if the external tear will still show. In summary: if everything goes well with Carmina you will be a happy customer (and I have no doubt that they are the majority) but if by misfortune they sell you a defective pair you will have to mourn your investment. In the meantime I will order a pair of Meccariello.

hollandn

Reaction score
Well my bourbon cordovan loafers arrived and I am really happy! Went with a contrasting bourbon cordovan hatch grain strap. Model is 80440 on Pina last. Last photo is a comparison to 80578 on a Genova last. They fit very similarly with the Pina last having a tiny bit more toe room. I went with the thin Tomir sole as a bit more practical for rainy old UK!

Attachments

• IMG_1907.jpeg
    IMG_1907.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1908.jpeg
    IMG_1908.jpeg
    235.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1909.jpeg
    IMG_1909.jpeg
    449.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1910.jpeg
    IMG_1910.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 187

elsalvatrucha

Reaction score
First of all, I haven't been disingenuous. Complaining that a 400 euro shoe, used under perfectly normal conditions and maintained in a proper way, goes to pieces after nine months seems natural to me. My annoyance comes from the fact that the customer service immediately disengaged themselves from any responsibility and that they could not do anything anyway. Basically that I had to take the loss and shut up. I must have had about 30 pairs of different brands in 30 years and this is the first time this has happened to me, hence my legitimate surprise. A pair whose leather cracks after five years of intensive use is normal, but not a nine-month-old pair with a broken heel. It's a very average way to deal with your customers. I gave the pair to my cobbler who confirmed that it was perfectly repairable even if the external tear will still show. In summary: if everything goes well with Carmina you will be a happy customer (and I have no doubt that they are the majority) but if by misfortune they sell you a defective pair you will have to mourn your investment. In the meantime I will order a pair of Meccariello.

I will take a moment of silence for your loss

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud, but I have/had quite a few pairs of Carmina with some being over a decade old and haven't really had structural issues with any (at least nothing like what was posted earlier). I do wonder if quality has declined or if only the vocal minority posts here. 🤷‍♂️
I similarly have many pairs. Maybe 10+ at this point. Most have never really had issues.

My criticism comes to how Carmina handles the few that do.

If I'm being fair I give Carmina much less slack here than Meermin. I expect Meermins to have some minor issues and that you are on your own. But a pair of Carminas boots are now $600+, so my expectations are much higher.

Those blue suede NST boots look amazing.

Marshak

Reaction score
I similarly have many pairs. Maybe 10+ at this point. Most have never really had issues.

My criticism comes to how Carmina handles the few that do.

If I'm being fair I give Carmina much less slack here than Meermin. I expect Meermins to have some minor issues and that you are on your own. But a pair of Carminas boots are now $600+, so my expectations are much higher.

Those blue suede NST boots look amazing.

It was my point. It's possible to love a brand without being blind on its weaknesses.

elsalvatrucha

Reaction score
It was my point. It's possible to love a brand without being blind on its weaknesses.
I agreed and not trying to dismiss your experience but also point out my positive experience. Carmina is a small manufacturer and the vast majority of people have great experience (probably like most manufacturer). People complain in the forum to try to pressure them to solve their problem / make it seem like it is emblematic of all their production is also wrong.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agreed and not trying to dismiss your experience but also point out my positive experience. Carmina is a small manufacturer and the vast majority of people have great experience (probably like most manufacturer). People complain in the forum to try to pressure them to solve their problem / make it seem like it is emblematic of all their production is also wrong.
Absolutely understood and my point wasn't to say Carmina is a poor quality manufacturer, which is why I wanted to clarify. They put out very fine shoes and their QC is better than their competitors such as Meermin.

I also share this feedback in the hope that they will take it to heart and improve, even if unlikely.

MD1969

Reaction score
No, the point of your 1st posting re: this matter was asking for forum members‘ opinions. You are getting those who agree and disagree, but you can’t seem to handle the latter.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well my bourbon cordovan loafers arrived and I am really happy! Went with a contrasting bourbon cordovan hatch grain strap. Model is 80440 on Pina last. Last photo is a comparison to 80578 on a Genova last. They fit very similarly with the Pina last having a tiny bit more toe room. I went with the thin Tomir sole as a bit more practical for rainy old UK!
Nice! Is the bourbon hatchgrain a bit darker than the regular bourbon?

Marshak

Reaction score
I will take a moment of silence for your loss

Absolutely understood and my point wasn't to say Carmina is a poor quality manufacturer, which is why I wanted to clarify. They put out very fine shoes and their QC is better than their competitors such as Meermin.

I also share this feedback in the hope that they will take it to heart and improve, even if unlikely.

Carmina has just offered me a free return in order to study the possible repairs. So it's worth complaining instead of crushing yourself and keeping quiet when the complaint is legitimate. It's too late anyway since I gave them to my shoemaker. I note the gesture nevertheless, although very late.

A12321

Reaction score
Stunning combination. Would like to see how the leather creases after several wears.

Qayyum

Reaction score
did you ask for a special heel? rubber instead of leather? very convenient

Qayyum

Reaction score
That was the heel supplied with the Tomir sole which I am happy with as I wanted something suitable for damp England!
I like this heel, and I would have liked this one with my Tomir soles, which are with a leather heel… these loafer are perfect

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads