• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

elsalvatrucha

Reaction score
O please. I've already explained. Is Carmina an infaillible religion? Are you Carministian?

For my part I am not defending Carmina but pointing out that it could just be a case of bad luck (as you pointed out).

In terms of customer service, can't say I agree with the expectations that a shoe/clothing manufacturer should be responsible for quality issues months after purchase but every person will have their own expectation ( i think differently of Apple and my iPhone but not shoes).

There is some benefits to no questions ask returns (i.e Nordstrom) but that's up to Carmina to decide.

Marshak

Reaction score
For my part I am not defending Carmina but pointing out that it could just be a case of bad luck (as you pointed out).

In terms of customer service, can't say I agree with the expectations that a shoe/clothing manufacturer should be responsible for quality issues months after purchase but every person will have their own expectation ( i think differently of Apple and my iPhone but not shoes).

There is some benefits to no questions ask returns (i.e Nordstrom) but that's up to Carmina to decide.

My dismay comes from the fact that I rather liked the pair. The autopsy that my cobbler will perform will be interesting.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It depends, no?

If after months a manufacturing issue was revealed, then I would expect it to be remedied by the manufacturer.

e.g. if an overly thin sole was applied to my shoe and I didn't notice for a while, I would expect Carmina to replace it.

Or if the Lama leather that those shoes are made of is actually not durable enough to support that style of shoe and there was no warning nor obvious/common knowledge way to know, I'd ask them to find a reasonable solution and to be curious to learn more so as to spare other customers the issue.

Bad luck happens but they should be curious enough to figure out if its bad luck rather than just "your fault" as the default response.

It was nice to hear one account on here of Marie being very easy to work with, hopefully this is changing.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t you be talking bad about Carmina…lol. Dude don’t let the trolls get you wound up; of course you did kind of ask for it. Posting complaints on SF is risky bidnis 😄
This blue suede pair I was kicking about in today are more than a few years old, they fortunately have served me well thus far.
IMG_1708.jpeg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t you be talking bad about Carmina…lol. Dude don’t let the trolls get you wound up; of course you did kind of ask for it. Posting complaints on SF is risky bidnis 😄
This blue suede pair I was kicking about in today are more than a few years old, they fortunately have served me well thus far.
View attachment 1942141
Just thinking out loud, but I have/had quite a few pairs of Carmina with some being over a decade old and haven't really had structural issues with any (at least nothing like what was posted earlier). I do wonder if quality has declined or if only the vocal minority posts here. 🤷‍♂️

elsalvatrucha

Reaction score
It depends, no?

If after months a manufacturing issue was revealed, then I would expect it to be remedied by the manufacturer.

e.g. if an overly thin sole was applied to my shoe and I didn't notice for a while, I would expect Carmina to replace it.

Or if the Lama leather that those shoes are made of is actually not durable enough to support that style of shoe and there was no warning nor obvious/common knowledge way to know, I'd ask them to find a reasonable solution and to be curious to learn more so as to spare other customers the issue.

Bad luck happens but they should be curious enough to figure out if its bad luck rather than just "your fault" as the default response.

It was nice to hear one account on here of Marie being very easy to work with, hopefully this is changing.

Yeah true but after wear it becomes difficult to know. I agree that the manufacturer should try to create goodwill but after usage is difficult to solely say it was manufacturing issue.

Blastwice

Reaction score
“Be sure to buy good quality Goodyear welted shoes. They’ll last a lifetime and you can get them resoled. Of course it’s totally normal and not a defect if they tear apart and get destroyed before you have a chance to resole them and they only last 9 months, not a lifetime” is such a hilariously on-brand SF take.
None of my Carminas have a tear like a dog has been at the shoe, and if they did I wouldn't expect manufacturer to replace them.

Especially not 9 months later. (And especially when a local cobbler could stitch it up for probably $40 tops. Acting like the shoe is a total loss makes me laugh.)

Are there really a lot of us demanding manufacturer recompense 9 months later for things like jeans and shoes? Can I return to my underwear manufacturer after 9 months and be like, "Hey, these got a rip in them can you mend them for free?"

To me, this seems like taking advantage, honestly.

tomsocal

Reaction score
$49 outlet Adidas lasting 6 months of workouts? Sure, just get a new pair. $500 pair of leather shoes worn once a week getting ripped? Money back or gtfo. Low grade shoes from Northampton got me 3 resoles and still go strong.

MD1969

Reaction score
None of my Carminas have a tear like a dog has been at the shoe, and if they did I wouldn't expect manufacturer to replace them.

Especially not 9 months later. (And especially when a local cobbler could stitch it up for probably $40 tops. Acting like the shoe is a total loss makes me laugh.)

Are there really a lot of us demanding manufacturer recompense 9 months later for things like jeans and shoes? Can I return to my underwear manufacturer after 9 months and be like, "Hey, these got a rip in them can you mend them for free?"

To me, this seems like taking advantage, honestly.
Well said.

Blastwice

Reaction score
It would help this gents case if he wasn't being disingenuous in the first place. Carmina isn't say, "this is totally unfixable" they are saying (as politely as possible) that they will not repair his shoe 9 months later.

There are not moving parts in shoes where a small tear goes 3 inches through multiple layers of leather (inner lining and outer leather) and rips a big chunk off the piping and through the heel padding and begins to unwind the binding inside. There are physical stresses that have to be put on a shoe to do these things and I can think of only a few ways for this to happen and none of them seem to be Carmina's fault.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads