• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeddie

Reaction score
We need to choose a model that everyone is comfortable with.

If we argue between eyelets/speedlacing and tramuntana/comando/others. We are off target, but if it is someone interested in buying we can make these slight modifications to the model as an exception. Although there are modifications that will not be possible.

But first let's come to an agreement, if we want to modify something we can discuss it when the purchase is made, I will ask if it can be done.

Think about that modifications:

Commando Sole
Speedlacing
360 welt

So if someone wanted to purchase it, but only with a tomir sole that would be an ok modification exception?

Jeddie

Reaction score
I like TLB for the basic levels. Artista has a tighter heel which is better for me as well. I think TLB is a better value with similar construction/quality for their price point compared to standard $495 no sale at Carmina.

The owner treats every customer like they're his favorite customer ever haha. Goes above and beyond with every aspect of the shoe. I love their customer service

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2EB5AA3D-554C-4A25-A6B0-83BA5011C81B.jpeg
F9671B9C-BA1F-4808-966B-82F835CFDE16.jpeg

532 in Cognac Cordovan on Detroit

Happy Thursday!

kevinftwman

Reaction score
For comparing the boots with storm welt and without (albeit with different but similar leathers)

Without:

With storm welt:

After taking a look at the two, my take is I do think the boot looks better overall without the storm welt, but this assumes we do not have a tramuntana sole or hatch grain cordovan, which I personally find to be too casual (think I would go smooth cordovan + victoria/tomir sole if I wanted to use it with suits).

If we have the tramuntana sole plus the black hatch grain, I think at that point we might as well go storm welt too. I find the storm welt is a good match with any commando looking sole and in jcreadeur's photo in the previous page, think that the sleekness of the boot is kind of a mismatch to the material / sole and would actually look better if his boots swapped leathers (sorry jcreadeur, but ty for the photos).

Last edited:

tomsocal

Reaction score
Has anyone had a recent experience with factory resole? In the past there were some posters mentioning apprentice-level quality which is surprising. The cost is comparable if not less than recommended places like America’s Cobbler but also much more than also recommended B. Nelson which I had used on my beater Sanders in the past. Decisions, decisions...

Montecristo905

Reaction score
For comparing the boots with storm welt and without (albeit with different but similar leathers)

Without:

With storm welt:

After taking a look at the two, my take is I do think the boot looks better overall without the storm welt, but this assumes we do not have a tramuntana sole or hatch grain cordovan, which I personally find to be too casual (think I would go smooth cordovan + victoria/tomir sole if I wanted to use it with suits).

If we have the tramuntana sole plus the black hatch grain, I think at that point we might as well go storm welt too. I find the storm welt is a good match with any commando looking sole and in jcreadeur's photo in the previous page, think that the sleekness of the boot is kind of a mismatch to the material / sole and would actually look better if his boots swapped leathers (sorry jcreadeur, but ty for the photos).
victoria sole would be good

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Personally think either welt option works for the boot. Maybe someone has a black grain jumper with a flat welt that they can share pic of for comparison purposes. I'll defer from additional discussion about the sole choice :).

This is the closest analogue that I can find to the proposed boot with a storm welt. This is on oscar. This boot belongs to @bamgrinus

I don't have a ton of time to search more but here is a casual makeup black grain boot (different model) with a flat welt from @Neville Southall .

3e7d8884-e63f-4f40-a91c-4429f905219a-jpeg.1290247

3881af55-61a6-4fc1-91ea-8a441a9983ae-jpeg.1508972

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally think either welt option works for the boot. Maybe someone has a black grain jumper with a flat welt that they can share pic of for comparison purposes. I'll defer from additional discussion about the sole choice :).

This is the closest analogue that I can find to the proposed boot with a storm welt. This is on oscar. This boot belongs to @bamgrinus

I don't have a ton of time to search more but here is a casual makeup black grain boot (different model) with a flat welt from @Neville Southall .

3e7d8884-e63f-4f40-a91c-4429f905219a-jpeg.1290247

3881af55-61a6-4fc1-91ea-8a441a9983ae-jpeg.1508972
Water leaked through that boot like it was made of paper, bro. I recommend a storm welt.

kevinftwman

Reaction score
Unlikely to be much more water tight, if at all. Carmina storm welts are basically decorative

Oh really? Are Carmina storm welts not actual storm welts?

Think we can convince them to do veldtschoen construction or maybe latex the stitching inside the insole to make it more waterproof? 😀

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads