• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Montecristo905

Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of those soles. I thought only Alden used those soles. Leather in middle of rubber sole ruins usefulness of having rubber sole.
Full rubber /commando sole or ridgeway sole is much better
You do get a lot more traction, which is huge, but I understand your pov. If you can persuade your fellow black hatch grain cordovan lovers, I’m not opposed. But I’m just a moderator and overall voice of reason.

For everyone, remember that there are three other choices for your vote.

pwhinson

Reaction score
This is a question for Carmina: I purchased shell boot 80092 on the forest last in a size 9UK. The purchase was made years ago but I'm now getting a little bit of heel slippage. Its tolerable, but I probably wear them less than I would otherwise, and they're pretty flexible and broken in now. Would this forepart piece (per video) help? Where do I go about getting these in my size for the forest last? I'd like to "try" them first, then I can have a cobbler glue(?) them in if they help. Also open to other ideas to solve this problem so dive in.

Last edited:

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Carmina - Hello. You wrote:

"Remember that you can choose the cordovan color you want."

Could you please clarify whether this means the entire group chooses a color and leather or whether each customer chooses their own color and leather? Gracias.
You can choose the color of the leather proposed (cordovan for all the models despite the norwegian boot).

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This is a question for Carmina: I purchased shell boot 80092 on the forest last in a size 9UK. The purchase was made years ago but I'm now getting a little bit of heel slippage. Its tolerable, but I probably wear them less than I would otherwise, and they're pretty flexible and broken in now. Would this forepart piece (per video) help? Where do I go about getting these in my size for the forest last? I'd like to "try" them first, then I can have a cobbler glue(?) them in if they help. Also open to other ideas to solve this problem so dive in.

Hi,

You will have to contact with custumer service ([email protected]) in order to show them photos of the shoes.

I'm sorry I can't help you directly.

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We love the styleforum community and we always listen to you and consider your recommendations. Some may be difficult to take on board, but others can be realized exclusively for you.

As you may have seen I replied to one of you that there is hatch grain cordovan in black. An exclusive leather currently not available in the customizer.

Here is a sample.

I can see there is quite a bit of interest in adding it to the work boots.

We are still voting considering we have this beautiful leather available for you.

_89A8323.jpg

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We love the styleforum community and we always listen to you and consider your recommendations. Some may be difficult to take on board, but others can be realized exclusively for you.

As you may have seen I replied to one of you that there is hatch grain cordovan in black. An exclusive leather currently not available in the customizer.

Here is a sample.

We are still voting considering we have this beautiful leather available for you.

View attachment 1918631
please please please stock this

artwood

Reaction score
I'm in for work boots in black hatch gain (and storm welt, if possible), although norwegian boots are also very inviting for me

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Not a fan of those soles. I thought only Alden used those soles. Leather in middle of rubber sole ruins usefulness of having rubber sole.
Full rubber /commando sole or ridgeway sole is much better
Can you elaborate on your concern, please?

To the best of my recollection, the tramuntana is *not* like Alden's commando sole. Alden commando is more akin to a very low profile lugged topy. Tramuntana is somewhat more luggy and it's also not topy-like, even though it is a half sole. To the best of my recollection, it's more like a lugged version of the York sole as far as construction goes --- if that makes sense to you.

Can someone post a real photo of a tramuntana sole? I no longer have my pair and can't find old photos.

The rationale for the 360 degree flat welt with the double midsole and tramuntana sole was to get a boot that rides the line between refined and chunky. The 360 welt will be a little less closely trimmed than 270 but not as chunky as a storm welt. The double midsole with the tramuntana half sole will slim out the sole edge look in the arch area while looking more chunky at both the heel and forefoot. This is what I had in mind and it was purposeful.

I also wanted to comment on the topic of speed hooks vs. eyelets that came up yesterday. My original design called for all eyelets. This is an exceedingly minor change from Carmina's standard design and I am 100% confident that it would be a non-issue to make this change. @Carmina can confirm, if necessary, but I and others have made these types of requests routinely for years.

Why all eyelets? I think it's a cleaner look to the finished product. Having said that, I am cognizant of the fact that this is a relatively high boot and it may be somewhat of a lacing hassle going with all eyelets. At least in my opinion, it will look better and I'd encourage folks to not be lazy and accept this hassle in the interest of small aesthetic details that nobody will ever see under your pants cuffs but will be important for your IG and SF photos showing off your new cool boots. Trust me, this is the way.

I'm not necessarily opposed to adjustments and feedback is welcomed but it would be helpful if you could further elaborate on your preferences when you do so since it may be helpful for others to think about each idea and their own preferences for the makeup.

ETA: There WERE some options that I had mentioned in my own proposal that may be worth revisiting.

1. Preference between the frankenstitch model vs. standard model high jumper with regular stitching. I am open to either. I'd originally thought the standard model might be better with hatch grain but I believe someone posted a photo of a frankenstitch with hatch grain earlier in the thread and it looked good. Both good options, in my estimation.

2. I'd mentioned the possibility of a very simple brogue trim on the cap toe. This would not be possible with frankenstitch. It is also probably not as ideal for the hatch grain shell, which seems to be drawing the most interest. My thought was to remove the tiny perforations and just do a row of the large hole perforations along the cap with no pinking.

Last edited:

Montecristo905

Reaction score

Here is a sample.

View attachment 1918631
I love it!

Montecristo905

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on your concern, please?

To the best of my recollection, the tramuntana is *not* like Alden's commando sole. Alden commando is more akin to a very low profile lugged topy. Tramuntana is somewhat more luggy and it's also not topy-like, even though it is a half sole. To the best of my recollection, it's more like a lugged version of the York sole as far as construction goes --- if that makes sense to you.

Can someone post a real photo of a tramuntana sole? I no longer have my pair and can't find old photos.

The rationale for the 360 degree flat welt with the double midsole and tramuntana sole was to get a boot that rides the line between refined and chunky. The 360 welt will be a little less closely trimmed than 270 but not as chunky as a storm welt. The double midsole with the tramuntana half sole will slim out the sole edge look in the arch area while looking more chunky at both the heel and forefoot. This is what I had in mind and it was purposeful.

I also wanted to comment on the topic of speed hooks vs. eyelets that came up yesterday. My original design called for all eyelets. This is an exceedingly minor change from Carmina's standard design and I am 100% confident that it would be a non-issue to make this change. @Carmina can confirm, if necessary, but I and others have made these types of requests routinely for years.

Why all eyelets? I think it's a cleaner look to the finished product. Having said that, I am cognizant of the fact that this is a relatively high boot and it may be somewhat of a lacing hassle going with all eyelets. At least in my opinion, it will look better and I'd encourage folks to not be lazy and accept this hassle in the interest of small aesthetic details that nobody will ever see under your pants cuffs but will be important for your IG and SF photos showing off your new cool boots. Trust me, this is the way.

I'm not necessarily opposed to adjustments and feedback is welcomed but it would be helpful if you could further elaborate on your preferences when you do so since it may be helpful for others to think about each idea and their own preferences for the makeup.

The sole has a leather component as part of a rubber sole. This defeats the purpose of having a rubber sole.
carmina_tramuntana_sole.jpg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
The sole has a leather component as part of a rubber sole. This defeats the purpose of having a rubber sole.
carmina_tramuntana_sole.jpg

Why would this defeat the purpose of a rubber sole?

My perspective: Main issue with leather soles is wear speed at the ball and/or toe if worn heavily. Wear speed especially when the leather soles are wet and worn on pavement. Reduced traction in wet/snow. None of these are concerns with half soles like the Tramuntana or York.

So what specifically is the concern when you say that it defeats the purpose of a rubber sole? I seriously doubt there will be water tightness concern. I have certainly not experienced that issue. I also don't see any wear and tear concerns with the half soles since the exposed leather portion doesn't contact the anything. By all accounts, my half soles are in excellent shape after years of use.

Btw, thanks for posting the pic. :)

Montecristo905

Reaction score
Why would this defeat the purpose of a rubber sole?

My perspective: Main issue with leather soles is wear speed at the ball and/or toe if worn heavily. Wear speed especially when the leather soles are wet and worn on pavement. Reduced traction in wet/snow. None of these are concerns with half soles like the Tramuntana or York.

So what specifically is the concern when you say that it defeats the purpose of a rubber sole? I seriously doubt there will be water tightness concern. I have certainly not experienced that issue. I also don't see any wear and tear concerns with the half soles.
I wear rubber soled shoes/boots when I do not want my leather soled shoes to get wet.

No need for this Tramuntana sole when Carmina has a full rubber sole available.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads