• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

officine

Reaction score
Those boots are sick :) Mind sharing your size in Rain D compared to the forest last?

Also, when did you order these? I assume it took less than 30 days as estimated.
Thank you, sir.

I'm one of those people that take a 7.5UK in all lasts. If it doesn't fit perfectly, I either deal with a bit of looseness or some tightness/constrictions. Sizing up and down has not worked for me...see my previous posts about Detroit. I avoid certain lasts due to this, especially the ones known to be wide fitting. Rain D and Uetam in 7.5UK are perfect for me but also own Robert, Deia, Alcudia, Philadephia, Simpson.

I don't own Forest. I do own Robert in 7.5 and it has more room in the toe box and bit more room in the heel than Rain D. I like the Robert last, supposedly a tad sleeker Forest.

The timing on this MTO is screwed up. I placed the order in mid-February before they shut down operations in early March. These are the boots Carmina is using in their picture on the website for the MTO so they where likely completed first week in April. I wouldn't use my experience here for the group MTO.

ErPupone4

Reaction score
Gentlemen, the Calway has landed.

@George Red provided the definitive introduction to this soon to be Carmina staple.....Calway grand introduction. The following contribution will be less poetic, and is meant to provide additional insight and reference for those thinking of purchasing, or have purchased the Calway. There will be three posts to break up the pictures.

Allow me just one editorial comment - this is the most satisfying MTO I have ever made. No exaggeration. It came out exactly as I wished.

General Pictures
View attachment 1388205 View attachment 1388207 View attachment 1388208 View attachment 1388210 View attachment 1388211

Details

View attachment 1388214 View attachment 1388215 View attachment 1388216 View attachment 1388220 View attachment 1388222 View attachment 1388223 View attachment 1388224 View attachment 1388225 View attachment 1388226 View attachment 1388227 View attachment 1388228 View attachment 1388229
Great looking boots! The burnishing looks amazing and the texture difference between the brown vegano and brown karagrain is wonderful. I haven't ordered yet, but I've been thinking of a brown karagrain base, brown suede shaft, double leather dainite sole, storm welt, in Oscar last. That would be a killer wet weather boot!

ErPupone4

Reaction score
@Carmina Any updates on whether the replica Russian reindeer leather will be available for this MTO? I'm super excited to receive the KA chukka boots, although I haven't heard when that might be.

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazing boot and even better pics with different trousers from formal suit to chinos and jeans. This post is not as 'poetic' like the one earlier on this boot but much more useful. Thanks.
I also think you made a great choice here with upper and shaft combo:slayer:

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the compliments. I probably should have started with the make-up:
  • Rain D
  • Vegano Marron, with burnishing on cap toe
  • Brown karangrein shaft
  • Double Dainite
IMO the inverted "v" and its exact location is a non-issue. The boot looks perfect designed as is (kudos to those involved in its conception). The karangrein shaft is not restrictive in the least. I thought the Dainite might need a few wears to break it, but after walking around the block once its good (then again I have Dainite on all my boots so may be less sensitive at this point).

Now I need to figure out how to keep the spouse from killing me, as I have broken agreement that a shoe must go before bringing in another (she's like a hawk). Help a brother out and purchase one of my shoes in the links below :cool:
Bravo, sir. Bravo. Cheers!

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Carmina Shoemaker.

BomTrady

Reaction score
Greetings Gentlemen,

Does anyone have any insight on the TIMS last; i.e., which other last does it most closely resemble in fit (possibly Rain, or Simpson)? And how doe fit in comparison to any other shoe brand/last you might have? Thanks, in advance.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone who has experience with each tell me the pros and cons of Dainite vs victoria vs tramuntana soles? especially in winter.

Also, what do you think are the best options Carmina offers for leather on a boot in winter?

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Can someone who has experience with each tell me the pros and cons of Dainite vs victoria vs tramuntana soles? especially in winter.
I think it’s personal preference as to fit. Victory (Carmina mis spell as Victoria) soles are usually found on more rugged British country boots but I find aesthetically they are preferable to commando whilst being comfortable and not collecting stones. Dainite is the do it all sole, aesthetically similar to leather whilst being hard wearing and generally practical for most conditions. Some people find it hard under foot. My preferable sole is Ridgeway.

FatCatPhil

Reaction score
I've received my unlined suede double-monks (tobacco, Sineu last) from the last GMTO, and to be honest I am not impressed. These are my 4th pair of Carmina, here are some photos of the shoes unworn, straight out of the box.

There is a HUGE color difference on the side of one pair, I think it's because someone went full ballistic on the water-repellent spray and splashed it at point-blank, effectively ruining the suede.

IMG-5835.jpg

The level of finishing on the side is sub-par to Carmina's price positioning, there are burn marks and glue residues everywhere near the soles.

IMG-5836.jpg

The insides are full of dust, leather chaff and glue residue.

IMG-5838.jpg

The leather is already marked badly. These spots are "3D prints" where you can feel the mark under the finger. Also they used some kind of elastic instead of leather to retain the upper buckle, which I find looks very cheap and is something I never saw on their website's photos. I don't like it.

IMG-5837.jpg

What happened here? It feels like my pair was crafted by an unsupervised apprentice and QC just went "Meh, good enough" before shipping it.

What I ordered. carmina.jpg
What I got

IMG-5839.jpg

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received my MTO. Pictures below. Initial impression.....over the moon! Will post some more pictures with them on my feet outside.

In the meantime, some details

LAST: Sineu
STYLE: 80414
LEATHER: Brown suede
LINING: Brown calf
LACES: Round bdown
SOLE: Double dainite

Any questions, give me a shout.

@Carmina would be could if you took pictures of all MTOs and posted them on your website so that customers could see different makeups. Would help in choosing future MTOs.

Attachments

• D18ADA9E-0274-4A20-885A-3796FBF9058F.jpeg
    D18ADA9E-0274-4A20-885A-3796FBF9058F.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 3B3B5AC1-2A60-4DDB-B74F-105C3241BF6D.jpeg
    3B3B5AC1-2A60-4DDB-B74F-105C3241BF6D.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 70
  • 41FD6F44-AFEC-4BD1-8163-14D6442C4826.jpeg
    41FD6F44-AFEC-4BD1-8163-14D6442C4826.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 89

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've received my unlined suede double-monks (tobacco, Sineu last) from the last GMTO, and to be honest I am not impressed. These are my 4th pair of Carmina, here are some photos of the shoes unworn, straight out of the box.

There is a HUGE color difference on the side of one pair, I think it's because someone went full ballistic on the water-repellent spray and splashed it at point-blank, effectively ruining the suede.

View attachment 1388783

The level of finishing on the side is sub-par to Carmina's price positioning, there are burn marks and glue residues everywhere near the soles.

View attachment 1388785

View attachment 1388786

The leather is already marked badly. These spots are "3D prints" where you can feel the mark under the finger. Also they used some kind of elastic instead of leather to retain the upper buckle, which I find looks very cheap and is something I never saw on their website's photos. I don't like it.

View attachment 1388788

What happened here? It feels like my pair was crafted by an unsupervised apprentice and QC just went "Meh, good enough" before shipping it.

What I ordered. View attachment 1388809
What I got

View attachment 1388810
Can you not just brush the suede to bring the nap up? All my suede Carninas have arrived with little scuffs. I think it’s from how they package them. Quick brush to bring up the nap and job done .
By the way, elastic on the buckle is standard practice. It’s there to effectively accommodate a range of insteps. All my buckled c&j shoes have elastic and I’ve seen them on other shoe brands.

JoeBlack0

Reaction score

View attachment 1388783

View attachment 1388785

View attachment 1388786

View attachment 1388788

What I ordered. View attachment 1388809
What I got

View attachment 1388810
The elastic band for the buckle it's indeed standard, I would suggest brushing them but if the color differences still remain try an exchange

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Just received my MTO. Pictures below. Initial impression.....over the moon! Will post some more pictures with them on my feet outside.

In the meantime, some details

LAST: Sineu
STYLE: 80414
LEATHER: Brown suede
LINING: Brown calf
LACES: Round bdown
SOLE: Double dainite

Any questions, give me a shout.

@Carmina would be could if you took pictures of all MTOs and posted them on your website so that customers could see different makeups. Would help in choosing future MTOs.
Only issue with taking pictures without consent is that customers can become territorial about their ‘creations’. Good idea though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads