• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Career Day Advice! (engineering, geospatial, etc.)

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So tomorrow I am attending a Career Day, where I hope to distribute my particularly meager resume in hopes of gaining a decent job. I have base level educational experience in geospatial technology and engineering. This is a geospatial-based career fair. I am located in north Georgia, and proper dress is eluding me.

I have various trousers (grey, grey with pattern, green, etc.) suits, jackets, shirts, and waistcoats. I believe a waistcoat would appear pretentious. I can't decide between dress shirt and slacks, possibly with a jacket (grey corduroy or bluish tweed), or a suit. As far as suits, I have a black with subtle grey/bluish pinstripe that is well-fitted jacket with loose pants, or a medium grey H&M skinnyish linen suit. Would likely wear a very well tailored/fitted lightish blue button-collar Oxford shirt, or possibly a white dress shirt with a tie (have a few).

I have a feeling the companies may expect slovenly dress and may look down upon dressing in a suit.

Given the field, location, and times, any suggestions as to what would likely best assure a position?

Nexus6

Reaction score
Based on what you typed as options,
go with the pin-striped suit, and either the white or blue shirt...probably white.
Use a quiet tie.
Nothing too loud,
and black shoes that are polished.

If you have no shoe trees,
get some newspaper into the shoes tonight before bed.

Prepare all of your clothes tonight,
so tomorrow you won't have to think about it.

I wish you best of luck.
smile.gif

Whatever they ask you,
count to 3 in your mind before answering.
This will give you a 'measured and reflective' manner.

And 'look 'em in the eyes' when talking.
People that avoid eye contact come across as shifty, and are not trusted.
Look...lol...but don't stare.
Again, best of luck.
You'll do just fine.

Nexus6

Reaction score
ok Thank you for the photos.

You know, I like the H&M for color better.
The problem is, it is linen,
and well, you know, linen is not really appropriate for this occasion.

Perhaps in future, you may want to add a nice Charcoal Grey or Dark Blue suit to your wardrobe.

But for tomorrows purposes, I'd stick with the black suit, if forced to choose between the two.

I think also go with a blue shirt.
If you go with a white shirt, test to see if the shirt is blinding white,
or off-white. ...if you have an off-white, maybe better.

You are fair skinned like me, and white washes us out.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The black pants aren't quite as baggy as pictured, but they're far from ideal. The black suit jacket is also a bit more snug now that I've gained more weight, but not overly so. Notice the hair growth from black to grey. Just to be thorough, here's two of my blazers. I have a well-fit grey corduroy as well. I figure if I don't get a job out of tomorrow, at least this advice will benefit me in the future.
01-4.jpg
03-2.jpg
05-1.jpg
03-3.jpg
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
005.jpg

Nexus6

Reaction score
well the 'combinations' are good once you have the job,
but the interview is the 'first impression'.

I am certain that everyone will agree, again,
based on the information & photos you provided,
that the black pinstripe is the choice.

and get those shoes polished before bed!
smile.gif

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the navy pinstripe. The H&M fits better, but if an interviewer sees you, they're more likely to notice a linen suit not looking quite right fabric wise than the baggy pants. Most interviewers I've seen at engineering/science career days dress horribly so you probably have a leg up on them no matter what.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
The right side of your torso seems a little off. It seems to be waving (terminology?) a little. Perhaps I'm totally wrong, or perhaps it was intended; however this caught my attention. It also seems evident in the picture of the jacket from the back.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good luck, I have no idea how engeneers in georgia dress, but good luck to you

factorial

Reaction score
Engineering career fairs during my undergraduate days had plenty of people wearing suits at them, including me. I'd go with a suit... you will stick out less than you would wearing an odd jacket and trousers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads