• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

car hit my car - what do we do?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
somebody hit my wife's car, with her and the kids in it. nobody was hurt, but the rear bumper was knocked around.

so - insurance numbers and contact details were exchanged. what next? this is a one year old car, I may sell it one day. the damage seems to be minimal. do I report it to my insurance, do I deal with the other driver to fix it (she hit us direct from behind at a red light - it seems pretty clear whose fault it was). I don't want to find that there is structural damage that causes me grief in the future that I didn't notice now.

any suggestions?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess you could take it to the shop for a look see, if no significant damage, let it slide. Otherwise make an insurance claim (if it's worth the rate hike).

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you should prolly find out how much it will cost to get it all fixed. If the cost is significantly above the deductible, then claim it. If not, you can just ask the other driver to pay for the expenses.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First of all and most importantly, I'm happy to read that no one was hurt.

Secondly, did you get a police report?

Third, I would follow Jodum's advice. Personally, I would get it repaired regardless of which route would be required to take to fix it (insurance or out-of-pocket), because I don't like to be reminded of what occurred; but I am a very "˜clean break' sort of person, YMMV (no pun intended).

Jon.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my wife called the police, and they told her to go to a police station, they weren't sending any body out. since it happened in chicago, and we live in a suburb, that means now going to a station in chicago, if we do want a police report, and it probrably means going at least twice, I am guessing.

if it was clearly the other cars fault, will it still raise our insurance rates?

tommib

Reaction score
Defiantly get it checked out and the person who hit your car can put it on their insurance right?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where did it get hit? I got hit a few months ago in a parking lot. The guy was drunk afterwards I realized when I saw the douche again stumbling around at 4pm. He ran into my car twice in a row and gave me a huge dent in my fender. My car is such a ************* that if he was super apologetic I would have just said forget about it but he knew how to work the system.

1) in a private parking lot there is nothing that can be done by the police except mediate between the insurance companies I found.

2) he knew there were no cameras in this parking lot so he sped off so no witnesses could be found afterwards. I followed him for a mile and finally got him to pull over.

3) he called my bluff because without a signed admission, the insurance companies will just battle it out and he will be 60% at fault and I'll be 40% at fault or something so I'm like what's the point if I have to pay anyways when my car isn't even near mint?

When I saw him in another parking lot I was going to etch something onto his hood but by the time I found his car he was already stumbling back out.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Glad to hear no one was hurt. Still file a telephone police report. I have known people that did not file a report, talked with the other person (who was at fault), decided to settle up privately. Then the other person (who was at fault) files a bogus police phone report and phones it into the insurance company as the victim.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Where did it get hit? I got hit a few months ago in a parking lot. The guy was drunk afterwards I realized when I saw the douche again stumbling around at 4pm. He ran into my car twice in a row and gave me a huge dent in my fender. My car is such a ************* that if he was super apologetic I would have just said forget about it but he knew how to work the system.

1) in a private parking lot there is nothing that can be done by the police except mediate between the insurance companies I found.

2) he knew there were no cameras in this parking lot so he sped off so no witnesses could be found afterwards. I followed him for a mile and finally got him to pull over.

3) he called my bluff because without a signed admission, the insurance companies will just battle it out and he will be 60% at fault and I'll be 40% at fault or something so I'm like what's the point if I have to pay anyways when my car isn't even near mint?

When I saw him in another parking lot I was going to etch something onto his hood but by the time I found his car he was already stumbling back out.

at a traffic light - no witnesses (or, my wife and the other driver didn't try to ask anybody). the other driver was on her parents insurance.

the sytem I am used to is basically no fault - each side pays their costs (from the insurance). I think it works differently in america, but I am getting the feeling maybe not. I think I'll just take this to a body shop, and then call the other drivers father and see if we can get it taken care of. I finally have good insurance rates, I don't want to **** with them.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Glad to hear no one was hurt. Still file a telephone police report. I have known people that did not file a report, talked with the other person (who was at fault), decided to settle up privately. Then the other person (who was at fault) files a bogus police phone report and phones it into the insurance company as the victim.

good point.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, if it is at a traffic light it is actually a law that you HAVE to report it (in CA at least) within 10 days. So if you file and they don't then you can win that way. Otherwise, (in CA at least) unless there were witnesses and signatures, it will be some percentage you at fault. If you want to settle privately get stuff signed within 10 days.

My mom got a dent in her door by someone opening their door angrily while arguing. She got a signature from the chick's bf and when the police contacted them they tried to deny fault but couldn't because of the note they had signed.

My roommate in college got hit in a parking lot and got witnesses and I think he still ended up paying 10%.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's the other side's fault, you should not be paying out of your own pocket and of course your insurance won't go up. It's not your fault. The other side's insurance will have to pay your deductible and associated costs (ex. rental car). Although this looks pretty minor. Problem is, if you report it, it will end up on carfax, and if you try to sell it, someone will know your car was in a fender bender. If less $1000 in damages, I would call the other person and ask if they agree that it's in their best interest that you settle outside of insurance (although unclear to me whether the fix can end up on carfax this way).

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
If it's the other side's fault, you should not be paying out of your own pocket and of course your insurance won't go up. It's not your fault. The other side's insurance will have to pay your deductible and associated costs (ex. rental car). Although this looks pretty minor. Problem is, if you report it, it will end up on carfax, and if you try to sell it, someone will know your car was in a fender bender. If less $1000 in damages, I would call the other person and ask if they agree that it's in their best interest that you settle outside of insurance (although unclear to me whether the fix can end up on carfax this way).

I'm a little slow today, but since it was a rear end collision it is always the other person's fault. Try to get them to settle out of court with signed admissions and a check ASAP otherwise you have no choice but to go to the police.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

I was under the impression that Carfax worked under the vehicle's VIN, so anything that happens to your vehicle, wreck or not, independent of whose responsibility it is/was, it will end up on the carfax report. Then again, I'm not entirely sure on that, so this is pretty pointless.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

thanks - this was exactly what I was looking for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads