• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canons (London) bespoke shoes

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The firm is a follow-up from Foster & Son.

Foster went bust, venturing with Japanese money into ready-to-wear did kill them. Canons was founded by Simon Bolzoni who was once a lastmaker for Foster. I seem to remember that the new firm started off as Foster, but they had to rename themselves as, so I heard, the name is now owned by the Japanese financiers. All the lasts and documents you see in the video are from Foster.

There is also another Fosters stalwart Emiko Matsuda who started a few years ago to work on her own, continuing Fosters heritage.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never heard of them before. Some lovely specimens on their Instagram page.

Screenshot (487).png
Screenshot (488).png
Screenshot (489).png
Screenshot (490).png

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The firm is a follow-up from Foster & Son.

Foster went bust, venturing with Japanese money into ready-to-wear did kill them. Canons was founded by Simon Bolzoni who was once a lastmaker for Foster. I seem to remember that the new firm started off as Foster, but they had to rename themselves as, so I heard, the name is now owned by the Japanese financiers. All the lasts and documents you see in the video are from Foster.

There is also another Fosters stalwart Emiko Matsuda who started a few years ago to work on her own, continuing Fosters heritage.

Not surprised to hear that Canons are the old Foster & Sons.
Some of those Canon shoes are identical to the old Fosters in the styling and antiquing.
Very interesting to hear how the old Fosters got bought.

Have always loved the Emiko shoes,
she is very very good.

boomtoward

Reaction score
It doesn't come as a surprise that Canons used to be Foster & Sons. Some of those Canon shoes have a similar look to vintage Fosters. They're attractive!

jazznpool

Reaction score
Just reviving this thread to see if anyone has had a bespoke shoes/ boots experience with Canons Bespoke and Mr. Balzoni and if they can comment on their experience? Thanks in advance.

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
Thanks but I am hoping people can comment. I saw this YouTube recently. TY
Jumping into this conversation, with apologies, as I do not have any information to contribute, only a (indiscreet...) question: How much does Canon ex-Foster now charge for bespoke shoes?
I ask because I had five (superb) pairs made by Emiko Matsuda when she was at Foster and Sons...I very much fear I could not afford them now.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jumping into this conversation, with apologies, as I do not have any information to contribute, only a (indiscreet...) question: How much does Canon ex-Foster now charge for bespoke shoes?
I ask because I had five (superb) pairs made by Emiko Matsuda when she was at Foster and Sons...I very much fear I could not afford them now.
Why not go to emiko? Seems like that’d be the obvious answer if you’re happy with the shoes

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
Why not go to emiko? Seems like that’d be the obvious answer if you’re happy with the shoes
For one thing, all of Foster's customer lasts stayed with Canon. For another, I doubt I could afford bespoke shoes now. How much would Canon and Emiko Matsuda charge? Does anyone know?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads