• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I wear this suit jacket as a blazer?

bjornb17

Reaction score
I have a handful of suits and only one blazer. I was thinking about buying a second blazer but I have yet to find something that strikes my interest and so I've deferred that purchase til I find something down the road. However, that got me thinking, can I occasionally wear a suit jacket as a blazer? I understand that normally this is a no-go as it will look like half of a missing suit, but in this case I think it might make more sense. Please see the attached photos. The dark green jacket is a blazer. The oatmeal outfit is a suit and I do have the matching pants, but this jacket also looks great on its own. The blazer and suit jacket both have similar detailing (blazer is slightly less structured) but both have a prince of wales pattern and the oatmeal jacket isn't obviously part of a suit when worn by itself. What do you think?

Attachments

• SEF0348SGE_MODEL_FRONT.jpg
    SEF0348SGE_MODEL_FRONT.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 59
  • SUE0277OAT_FABRIC_DETAIL.jpg
    SUE0277OAT_FABRIC_DETAIL.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 130
  • SUE0277OAT_MODEL_FULL.jpg
    SUE0277OAT_MODEL_FULL.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 126

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I would wear that suit jacket as a separate, but I live in Europe where splitting up a suit is more accepted. Even in the States where it causes trauma, the jacket has enough of a pattern to work separately, perhaps with beige trousers. To me.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Personally I would wear that suit jacket as a separate, but I live in Europe where splitting up a suit is more accepted. Even in the States where it causes trauma, the jacket has enough of a pattern to work separately, perhaps with beige trousers. To me.

Thanks for that feedback - as a German-American I sort of prefer the European style of dressing anyway and I find it more interesting than how most Americans dress. I get the feeling that most people around here wouldn't know or care the difference between a suit jacket and blazer but either way it is cool to know what the norms are in various places.

I will test this out and see what combos work if any. I feel like beige might be a little too matchy unless they are significantly lighter in color (maybe like a stone color?). I'll give navy a shot as well.

Last edited:

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I g
Thanks for that feedback - as a German-American I sort of prefer the European style of dressing anyway and I find it more interesting that how most Americans dress. I get the feeling that most people around here wouldn't know or care the difference between a suit jacket and blazer but either way it is cool to know what the norms are in various places.

I will test this out and see what combos work if any. I feel like beige might be a little too matchy unless they are significantly lighter in color (maybe like a stone color?). I'll give navy a shot as well.
By beige I meant a light color, like a khaki or creme. Yes, very few people these days would even notice if you wore the jacket of a navy pinstripe suit as a separate. You should be safe.

bjornb17

Reaction score
I g

By beige I meant a light color, like a khaki or creme. Yes, very few people these days would even notice if you wore the jacket of a navy pinstripe suit as a separate. You should be safe.

While I have your attention what do you think of black shoes with the oatmeal suit like in the pics? I figured brown shoes would look best with an oatmeal suit but even with my dark brown shoes it is a little too matchy, whereas black seems to pop nicely which I wouldn't have expected.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The jacket will work fine as an odd jacket.

Personally I wouldn’t wear black oxfords with that jacket. I could maybe see black loafers working.

bjornb17

Reaction score
The jacket will work fine as an odd jacket.

Personally I wouldn’t wear black oxfords with that jacket. I could maybe see black loafers working.

Is it because oxfords are a bit too formal for a jacket like that or some other reason?

bjornb17

Reaction score
yes -- I would personally find oxfords too formal for that jacket.

The suit is kind of interesting to me because it has a pretty classic pattern in a somewhat casual texture and color but at the same time the pattern is pretty small and subtle and the cut is pretty slim and modern. It also has some gray undertones in person that is not as obvious in the pic and so dressing it up with black oxfords seems to work although maybe that is a little fashion forward. Also I have nothing but oxfords because I find derbys to be a bit unsophisticated haha.

notdos

Reaction score
Not my favorite as an odd jacket. Maybe if the pattern were bolder or more textured.
Not black shoes.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Not my favorite as an odd jacket. Maybe if the pattern were bolder or more textured.
Not black shoes.

What do you think about the suit as a whole? It is a bit of a deviation for me from the charcoal and navy suits I wear most of the time.

notdos

Reaction score
What do you think about the suit as a whole? It is a bit of a deviation for me from the charcoal and navy suits I wear most of the time.
No offense intended, but hopefully the fit is better on you, than the model. It reeks of the “1 size to small” style, that has been popular in the fashion forward world for sometime.
I’d prefer wider lapels. Wear in good health.

Phillip

rjc149

Reaction score
American here. I wouldn't be able to tell that jacket apart from a sport coat, and I can easily tell when a suit jacket is being worn as a sport coat. My boss has taken to wearing his conservative suit jackets as sport coats with chinos, apparently because it's 2024, and he looks like a 22 year old who just drenched himself in Axe to seek mating opportunities in nightclubs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads