• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calorie consumption during lifting

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 x 10 @ 85
Barbell Bench Press: 3 x 10 @ 225
Squat: 3 x 10 @ 225
Deadlift: 3 x 10 @ 225
Dips: 3 x 10
Pullups: 3 x 10
Machine Dips: 3 x 10 @ 225
Weighted Pushup: 4 x 25 @ 45
One-Arm Rows: 3 x 10 @ 75
Barbell Curls: 3 x 10 @ 85

This is a pretty voluminous workout. If you're training with intensity, I'd give yourself a 1500 calorie surplus on this day.

The people that have time to read US Weekly in between sets or answer their cell phone or chat up the girl on the hip adductor might be burning 500 calories per workout. The people catching their breath in between sets, pacing, visiting the porcelain princess, and leaving the gym with shaking limbs are easily burning 1000 calories.

And that's not including the post-training surge in calorie consumption after a resistance session.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
This is a pretty voluminous workout. If you're training with intensity, I'd give yourself a 1500 calorie surplus on this day.

The people that have time to read US Weekly in between sets or answer their cell phone or chat up the girl on the hip adductor might be burning 500 calories per workout. The people catching their breath in between sets, pacing, visiting the porcelain princess, and leaving the gym with shaking limbs are easily burning 1000 calories.

And that's not including the post-training surge in calorie consumption after a resistance session.

This easily doubles most estimations already pointed out in this thread or available elsewhere (that I've read). Care to elaborate/back it up?

Originally Posted by Eason
Forget about "fat burning" zones, imo that's complete bullshit- you'll lose much more weight by simply going for as high an intensity for as long a time as you can manage simply by burning more calories.
+1

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Forget about "fat burning" zones, imo that's complete bullshit- you'll lose much more weight by simply going for as high an intensity for as long a time as you can manage simply by burning more calories.

<-- What he said.

I've said it before, and I'll say it at least one more time: look at the dudes in the spinning classes and on the ellipticals. Does it look like steady-state cardio is working for them?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
This easily doubles most estimations already pointed out in this thread or available elsewhere (that I've read). Care to elaborate/back it up?

Which one, the 1000? That number probably doesn't apply to too many people here. At Gold's Gym in the mid-seventies, though, it applied to everybody.

The 1500 surplus I'd take after drizzt's session is (my guess) what he would need on that day to grow. It's based on, well, pretty much nothing, because I don't know what his body composition or weight is, etc. But that that's what I'd give myself if I did those lifts.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyways, my workout is composed of both HIIT and weights. I don't like regular cardio, or have the time to do both cardio and weights.

I'm thinking the caloric consumption from my normal weight workout is probably ~500ish, while each of two HIIT sessions each burn a good 400 calories each. I should probably increase my calories a bit, as I think I'm at about 2k/day with 1g/lb protein but so far I seem to be meeting my goals of reasonably fast cutting (1.5-2lb/week) while maintaining good muscle mass.

Current body composition/stats are 6'1 212 @ 13% or so.

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken

That's nowhere near 1500 calories. The average gym workout is at ~200 calories.

adversity04

Reaction score
I can't think of where the link is off the top of my head but if I find it I'll post it, but with the high intensity workouts in HIIT you have to take into consideration the elevated metabolic rate following the workout. Could be the same thing with super setting a with a push/pull or an upper/low with little rest. Unfortunately that's very hard to measure.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adversity04
I can't think of where the link is off the top of my head but if I find it I'll post it, but with the high intensity workouts in HIIT you have to take into consideration the elevated metabolic rate following the workout. Could be the same thing with super setting a with a push/pull or an upper/low with little rest. Unfortunately that's very hard to measure.

I recall some studies where it was found that HIIT and weightlifting, even supersetted, were incompatible as far as kcal expenditure. (weightlifting just didn't get close)

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recall some studies where it was found that HIIT and weightlifting, even supersetted, were incompatible as far as kcal expenditure. (weightlifting just didn't get close)

I agree that the weightlifting isn't going to be more calories during the actual activity, but the question is how much difference the increased metabolism during muscle repair will make, since most cardio won't cause too much muscle damage.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that, so many variables...

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I agree that the weightlifting isn't going to be more calories during the actual activity, but the question is how much difference the increased metabolism during muscle repair will make, since most cardio won't cause too much muscle damage.

I wouldn't worry about it. Counting the calorie consumption during weight lifting isn't all that big of a deal as it is close to negligible anyway. 2-300 calories less than calculated won't do you harm.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't see how even supersetting could get the heart rate high enough and long enough for HIIT.

adversity04

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
I don't see how even supersetting could get the heart rate high enough and long enough for HIIT.

Traditional supersetting for the most part won't. Do something like a high intensity crossfit workout and it will. Take today for example:
Five rounds for time of:
95 pound Sumo deadlift high-pull, 15 reps
95 pound Thruster, 15 reps

I didn't refer to this before because I don't think Drizz does this type of WO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads