• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The resoling was 90 euros and I think that's quite usual price. The welt modification and the cork filler added more price but I guess they aren't mandatory.

Your leather looks almost suede like. I haven't brought out my katahdin's yet, only in the dead of winter which will be most likely mid to end december. But you're giving me some ideas good man

scrwl

Reaction score
Your leather looks almost suede like.
Yeah the leather has a cool "nappy" surface. Out of the box they were heavily (and as they were seconds a bit uneavenly) waxed but I gave em a good brushing with a stiff brush and that's the outcome. I quess that didn't help with water/snow/slush resistance but i'm gonna try some nano sprays and such leather protectors on these.

captainfalcon

Reaction score
Is the sizing for these the same as Chippewa boots? I have a pair of these in size 8

And I normally wear a size 9 in Nikes/sneakers.

I'm planning on getting a pair of the plain-toe cordovan Katahdins but I'm not sure how to size it.

SnakeDoctor

Reaction score
They're just Chipps with an LL Bean tag on the inside of the tongue. I wear a 10 in sneakers and both my Katahdins and RW's are 9D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

star656

Reaction score
What do you guys use to polish? I got a pair of the plain toe cordovan color recently and have been wearing them regularly. Figure the toe box could use a little shine, I like the fade of the cordovan from the factory. A little neutral kiwi paste? I've only really used parade gloss on my jump boots and leather conditioner on everything else I own for the most part so kind of a noob at this. Will the kiwi neutral paste hold up? Or do I need to use melatonian cream?

I understand the cream doesn't get any gloss at all and these boots aren't made for a dress shoe style shine but I am seeing some real good looking pictures in this thread. At the same time, I know I don't want that parade gloss type look with all that silicone and cracking that comes with that.

seer

Reaction score
What do you guys use to polish? I got a pair of the plain toe cordovan color recently and have been wearing them regularly. Figure the toe box could use a little shine, I like the fade of the cordovan from the factory. A little neutral kiwi paste? I've only really used parade gloss on my jump boots and leather conditioner on everything else I own for the most part so kind of a noob at this. Will the kiwi neutral paste hold up? Or do I need to use melatonian cream?

I understand the cream doesn't get any gloss at all and these boots aren't made for a dress shoe style shine but I am seeing some real good looking pictures in this thread. At the same time, I know I don't want that parade gloss type look with all that silicone and cracking that comes with that.

If you don't mind spending a few bucks I suggest Saphir Renovateur, there is nothing better for luster and to bring out the character of the leather. https://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-renovateur.html

star656

Reaction score
If you don't mind spending a few bucks I suggest Saphir Renovateur, there is nothing better for luster and to bring out the character of the leather. https://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-renovateur.html
Everybody mentions that on here and other places. Didn't realize it brought out a luster as well. I have a pair of scuffed up ae long branch boots that I've literally done nothing to besides a little leather conditioner here and there. I don't care much about adding actual polish, it seems the saphir will both act as a light gloss and conditioner as well?

Any tips on application? Rub it on with a soft cotton rag, then wait to dry before buffing? Need to use any moisture when buffing?

star656

Reaction score
Is the sizing for these the same as Chippewa boots? I have a pair of these in size 8

And I normally wear a size 9 in Nikes/sneakers.

I'm planning on getting a pair of the plain-toe cordovan Katahdins but I'm not sure how to size it.

I take 8 or 8.5 in running shoes in wide width. Wear 7.5E in Asolo hiking boots. 7E in the cordovan katahdins fit perfect.

seer

Reaction score
Everybody mentions that on here and other places. Didn't realize it brought out a luster as well. I have a pair of scuffed up ae long branch boots that I've literally done nothing to besides a little leather conditioner here and there. I don't care much about adding actual polish, it seems the saphir will both act as a light gloss and conditioner as well?

Any tips on application? Rub it on with a soft cotton rag, then wait to dry before buffing? Need to use any moisture when buffing?

Yes Saphir will do the trick on your Long Branch - light gloss and conditioning. Personally I just use my fingers to rub it in, then let it dry, usually an hour or so, then buff. No extra moisture needed.

bz18

Reaction score
What a great thread dating back so far. I've never bought "expensive" boots but I cam across these and immersed myself in research. I narrowed my choice to the red wing iron ranger, llbean and Thursday boots indy rip off. I found that the iron ranger is clunky and has a smooth leather sole (I have a local annapolis store) The thursday boot gets very mixed reviews and the llbean boot is very much a work boot...but I can pull it off working sales for a construction company. My vote is this boot for cost and the famous llbean warranty. The vibram sole provides better non slip grip. The boot took a couple weeks to break in and is actually a 1/2 size off than my sneakers. Go with this boot and wear the hell out of it. Spend 340 bucks on something you will keep fancy. Not a boot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads