• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DC Office Hack

Reaction score

so...how do these stack up against say...Wolverine 1k miles?

and...20% off coupon anytime soon?

I own neither but have read tons of reviews of both on line. It seems that the difference between the two amounts to:

1. Aesthetics, i.e. one prefers the look of one over the other (I happen to like the looks of the Wolverine better, but that's just me)
2. Rubber versus leather sole. Some care, some do not. Some who care get the leather Wolverine anyway with the intention of modifying or replacing the sole with a Vibram product sooner or later.
3. Horween Chromexcel, which is generally considered to be a better leather than what Chippewa uses. That said, I've yet to read anything bad about the Chippewa leather, it's just a question of "good" versus "better."
4. Cost. The Chippewa variants are all at least $110-120 less than a full-priced Wolverine. The LL Bean Katahdin is, what, $130 less than the Wolverine?

One thing that does not appear to be an issue is quality. Both are well made. One is not sacrificing quality and buying junk by opting for the cheaper Katahdin.

If price is at all a factor, the Chippewas appear to be unbeatable. If not, it's clear that both are terrific options and it's a matter of taste and requirements (i.e. rubber). I'm pretty sure Wolverine would get a lot more business if they offered the 1000 Mile with a commando sole. I happen to think the Wolverine is "prettier," which might translate into "less rugged." That's debatable, except for the sole. Also, it it were my intention to thrash my boots, I'd for sure go for the cheaper option.

poena

Reaction score
the katahdin is definitely more rugged than the 1k. I own both and katahdin gets worn in all kinds of bad weather

bronco302

Reaction score
Wolverines 1k are shinny and elegant, you would wear them to the office all week.
You would only wear your katahdins to the office on a casual Friday, plus you wouldn't want to take the 1k's on a hike.

maineboyinnyc

Reaction score
I pronounce it KAT-uh-din. I've also heard some people say kuh-TAH-din but that just sounds wrong to me. :p

Mainer here, it's kuh-tah-din.

I recently bought my first pair of the iron works boots. I'm worried that I didn't get a small enough pair. I normally wear a 10.5 and went down to a 10. They fit snugly on my left foot, but my heel comes up on my right when I walk. I've only worn them for one day (outside, so I guess I might have ruined any return possibility, I was just so excited to have new boots).

I've read some reviews that seem to indicate that this is normal and will go away as the boot molds to my foot. Is that true, or should I sell them and get a smaller size down?

Last edited:

bronco302

Reaction score

I recently bought my first pair of the iron works boots. I'm worried that I didn't get a small enough pair. I normally wear a 10.5 and went down to a 10. They fit snugly on my left foot, but my heel comes up on my right when I walk. I've only worn them for one day (outside, so I guess I might have ruined any return possibility, I was just so excited to have new boots). 

I've read some reviews that seem to indicate that this is normal and will go away as the boot molds to my foot. Is that true, or should I sell them and get a smaller size down?

Ll bean will take them back no questions asked.. (Exchange )
I suggest you go a full size down so 9.5, if there is movement on the heel now by the time they're fully broken in they may get very loose.
Congrats on your purchase!
I wear mine everyday and everywhere, I haven't wore my sneakers in a long time.

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wolverines 1k are shinny and elegant, you would wear them to the office all week.
You would only wear your katahdins to the office on a casual Friday, plus you wouldn't want to take the 1k's on a hike.

I concur. My co-worker was wearing some Wolverine's in brown and man they look amazing in person. It's really "pretty" and my Katahdins are not. They are rugged! I wear them in winter when salt is all over the roads

matthewh

Reaction score

Some heel slip is normal is new leather boots. As they break in, and the leather softens, this will go away. When I first got my Katahdin's they were a little tortuous to wear because they were stiff, but the fit was good. (I went true-to-wise.) LL Bean's awesome return policy helped me decide to keep them. The boots great now. I happen to be wearing them today.

BTW, thicker socks and lacing tighter will help with heel slip. The main thing is if they fit your toe area well enough.

RichardHarrow

Reaction score
Just picked up some very lightly used Katahdins off eBay, 100 out the door. Straight up steal :). They're very nice and I can't wait to use them on campus this winter. I'm glad i went with my normal size as I'll be wearing thick socks with these especially on those extremely cold days in Ann Arbor.

Last edited:

cooperman985

Reaction score
Sorry I know this has been beaten to death, but I need some sizing help. I ordered some 10inch bean boots earlier this year and swam in them, so I'll be returning them when I'm home for thanksgiving (currently living in Stockholm, Sweden) and ordering some Katahdins.

I wear a 12-12.5 in most tennis shoes. I found a shop here that carries RW's and when I tried 11.5 Iron rangers they were comfortably snug on the sides but still too long. He didn't have 10.5 or 11, but I tried a 10 for fun and couldn't get my foot into the boot. Therefore I assume I wear a 11 in Iron Rangers... so what size should I order with the Katahdins? I do have a wider foot, but not at the heel (more like a diver with swim gear on). I worry that I will have too loose of a heel if I order EE's (like I was with the Bean boots). Should I order an 11D or 11.5D in these? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

FENWAY

Reaction score
^ Get yourself properly measured, then order half size down (most common). The Katahdins are slightly wider than the Iron Rangers in my experience. Guessing the 11 D will work for you

cooperman985

Reaction score
^ Get yourself properly measured, then order half size down (most common). The Katahdins are slightly wider than the Iron Rangers in my experience. Guessing the 11 D will work for you
Thanks for your quick reply. I'll be flying to the U.S. on the 24th, so I'll likely order a in a few days so that they are waiting for me to try on during the 11 days I'll be home. I may consider ordering two pairs and sending back whatever doesn't fit. I can't wait to wear these around stockholm city... I need them for the winter and they will look great in the sea of timberlands.

cooperman985

Reaction score
Just one more question...

Other than the LL bean warranty, is there any particular reason to purchase these (quality wise) over Chippewa GC Apaches? Assuming I'll be paying full price for the Katahdins(220usd) and I can get Chippewas for 110-130usd. I like the cap toe on the katahdin, but 100 dollars is 100 dollars. Just curious.

Thanks.

matthewh

Reaction score
I've had my Iron Works boots for a little over a year now. I've got both versions and wear them a lot. I wear the cap toe version to the office some but wear them to do work around the house as well. The Cordovan are my favorite though. I like the way they look and they are really comfortable. I wear them to the office a couple of times a week and on weekends. I generally do not wear them to do outside work, but this past weekend I had a few things to do and forgot I was even wearing them. I've been building a little lean-to off the back of a storage shed and got on the roof to do some flashing. Wasn't thinking at all about my boots while sitting on the asphalt shingles. Asphalt shingles are like heavy-duty sandpaper. I got off the ladder and looked down to see this:

Needless to say, I felt kind of sick but I've scratched them before. Nothing like this though. I thought I'd document my process for fixing them.

The first step was to wash all the dirt off. I use an old toothbrush the clean the welt and an old t-shirt to wipe everything dry.

Next I applied liberal amounts of Meltonian Shoe Cream (cordovan 78) for about 20-30 minutes. I rub in into and around the damaged areas. The let it dry for a while.

After they've dried a bit I buff and brush them.

Right after brushing.

On the way into my office today.

I know these iPhone pics aren't great but I thought this info might be helpful to someone. In a few days I may go over them with some waterproofing, probably Nikwax waterproofing for leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads