• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

disorder

Reaction score
Yeah I figured must be unused holes for the stitching. Does the leather in yours all look the same? Or does it vary like mine?

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it really bothers you then exchange them. To answer your question, they're not made of full-grain leather.

Vagran7

Reaction score
I am going a bit crazy trying to figure out what size I need. I bought a 9.5, 10, and 10.5 with the intention of returning what doesn't fit. The 9.5 and 10 are narrow, and the 10.5 is straight up way to big in all directions. So now I am thinking of trying wide sizes. How much width do these add if I get them in EE?

Thanks.

poena

Reaction score
i had a hard time with it too.
i ended up going with wide and just wear thick socks. my feet are happier this way than thin socks in the regular width.
the wide ones add a good amount of width.

stmoore1

Reaction score
they're not made of full-grain leather.

Are you saying his aren't full grain or Katahdins aren't in general? I corresponded with customer service a few months back when I inquired about the boot's construction here's what they said:

Quote:
I think I remember people earlier on in the thread stating that theirs were not full grain and they were able to return them for full grain.

scoobydrew

Reaction score
What is the visual difference between full and split grain leather?

Is it similar to disorder's post up there? The inside of my right shoe is "fuzzy" while the inside of the left shoe is less fuzzy, but not entirely smooth either.

Vintagemusician

Reaction score
Just got my Katahdin's in today! Shipped in about 2 days. My pair doesn't seem to have any of the grain issues people are returning for. They're definitely a lot darker than pictured too. I'm usually a 10.5 or 11, and went with 10.5 and seems to be the right fit. Maybe could fit in a 10, but I think 10.5 is right. Super stiff leather too - probably gonna have bruises at the end of the day, but worth it in the end as they seem like they're going to break in nicely.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd contribute my Katahdin experience. I bought these for $159 from LL Bean in October 2011 for a serious winter and wear them mainly with jeans, and sometimes with chinos. Here's some info:

• Sizing: I decided to get these in my usual size, 11.5 D (at least on AE 5 last and for Sperry Top-Siders). They are a little loose with dress socks, though not uncomfortably so, and fit perfectly when worn with thick wool socks, which is the main way I wear them. In an 11 D, they would almost certainly be too tight when worn with thick socks, but would probably be okay with dress socks.
  • Treatment: I don't think these boots need to be babied as some have noted, but I do use shoe trees and treat the uppers and welt with Obenauf's LP (literally by hand, a couple coats separated by an hour or so) and water shield (a couple sprayings, separated by an hour or so) when they look like they could use it. My feet have never gotten wet, including an instance where I shoveled snow in them for an hour. I like the darker color they take on after applying Obenauf's, though they lighten up a bit with wear. The orange-ish color of the welt has become slightly more brown over time, but it still retains some of the contrasting color (versus the dark brown sole), which I happen to like.
  • Break-in: I found that they required no break-in. They did not irritate my ankles/legs in the way some have described.
  • Pictures: The pictures are after two coats of Obenauf's.

I thought the pictures with flash were more realistic, but here's one without flash:

To show sole and heel wear (not much):

rdstour

Reaction score
Damn, This will sound nitpicky, but after looking over the old posts, I'm convinced I have a full grain and a split grain Katahdin boot.
On one, the creases are fewer, deeper and more pronounced on the toe, tongue, body. While on the other there are more creases, but seem shallower.

To use more technical terms, one of the boots has a very fine leather break (many wrinkles per inch), while the other boot has a coarse leather break(fewer, deeper, coarser wrinkles per inch)

Not sure if that implies one is split grain or not.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I didn't think it'd be a big deal, but I'm worried about my boots

Last edited:

CPaul

Reaction score
Does anyone get a ticking in the shoe when you walk? The heal is sort of disbonding and I think the sound might be the adhesive unsticking, then sticking back again.
When I first got them I had no problems, but now it is almost happening every step. It's getting pretty annoying now.

scoobydrew

Reaction score
I believe I have the same thing going on with my pair as well.

The interior of the leather on one of them is more "fuzzy" than the other.

rossi

Reaction score
I have the same uncertainty as many have about what sizing to order, but compounded with that I do not even know my size in US sizing.

How is the sizing related to EU sizes? I really need this spot on as I can not afford to send it back across the Atlantic for an exchange.

I normally wear 42.5 (most 42 are too small, and most 43 are too large).
According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_size#Adults), a EUR42.5 would be a US9.5.
However, I have a pair of Allen Edmonds chuckas, they are size 8.5 (perfect fit). That's a full size difference from Wikipedia.
I also have a pair of RM Williams Turnouts in 9G, they are a little too big (that would correspond to a US10). This would also indicate that I'm probably US9.5 in RMW, but the AE are a full size less, is that normal?

Is there any good way to pick the correct size?

Last edited:

MrMoonbeam

Reaction score
I have the same uncertainty as many have about what sizing to order, but compounded with that I do not even know my size in US sizing.
How is the sizing related to EU sizes? I really need this spot on as I can not afford to send it back across the Atlantic for an exchange.
I normally wear 42.5 (most 42 are too small, and most 43 are too large).
According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_size#Adults), a EUR42.5 would be a US9.5.
However, I have a pair of Allen Edmonds chuckas, they are size 8.5 (perfect fit). That's a full size difference from Wikipedia.
I also have a pair of RM Williams Turnouts in 9G, they are a little too big (that would correspond to a US10). This would also indicate that I'm probably US9.5 in RMW, but the AE are a full size less, is that normal?
Is there any good way to pick the correct size?

I normally wear size 11US. For the Katahdin's however, it is typically recommended to size down a half to a full size depending on your feet.
The size 10 boots are a tad too narrow for me (and a bit boxy in the toes), so I chose the 10.5.
After the usual break in, they are far and away my best fitting and most comfortable shoes ever.
If you fit into a size 8.5, and your fit are a tad narrow I'd suggest the same size for the Katahdins.
Keep in mind they have an excellent return policy if you want to swap out for the next size up anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads