• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 8.5 Nike (true size), 8 in Purcells, 7.5 Chucks and wore an 8 in the Katahdin with an insole. They run a little bit bigger than half a size large imo.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine were only stiff when I was trying them on and the first time I wore them. They only bothered me around the top set of hooks, so now when lacing them I skip from the bottom set of hooks to a loose wrap around to top set, then down to the middle set for the knot. Having the knot lower on mine made them much more comfortable. Or you can just skip the top set of hooks altogether.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love these boots, mine broke in really quickly. Wore them almost every day last winter and they look great. Will be breaking them in even more over this winter
smile.gif

MrDrizzle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blynch
Somebody be a guinea pig and order from here http://www.bootsusa.com/Chippewa%20B...er_styles_.htm $70+shipping for the Katahdins, probably seconds. So cheap I'm tempted to get for rain/snow, wonder if they are the current model or if they are the older model without the vibram soles.
Took at look at their Return Policy, where they say:
Originally Posted by BootsUSA
BootsUSA sells Blem merchandise. Blem merchandise or BLEMISHED is just that, defective product. Most defects are of cosmetic nature and only reflect surface scratches, leather discoloration's, or slight color differences and therefore, the manufactures could not reasonably ask full price from regular retail outlets. They sell them to us and we resell them at massive discounts. Before Blems leave our warehouse, each boot is inspected manually to assure you that all major defects are pulled from shipments.
source: http://www.bootsusa.com/Admin pages/return_policy.htm You could always call them to see if they are current models, but if you're just getting them for beating up the cosmetic defects probably aren't a big deal.

axela06

Reaction score
Mine were stiff for the first 4-5 days, but have been super comfortable ever since. For reference, I wear a 9 in Chucks and bought the Katahdins in a 9.5. They fit perfectly.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These boots are the ******* best..They broke in rather quickly and I agree they match my Purcell size. I'm an 11. And here is a Fit PIC. What do you guys use to coat/protect the boots ? Sno Seal ? Obenauf's ? Something else ? Let me know.
IMG_1556.jpg

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Understood. Personally, it's the confluence of: workmanship, components used and how they are made, toe profile, overall silouette, value and price. These are sub $200..I'd be happy to hear what work boot you could recommend in the same price range that looks as good and is as functional...and i mean that truthfully, not sarcastically.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I know people like that they're built like tanks and all but they don't look all that great and just look like random work boots. Not sure i see why people are clamouring over these so much.

+1

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
What do you guys use to coat/protect the boots ? Sno Seal ? Obenauf's ? Something else ? Let me know.[/IMG]
When I first got them I put some Bickmore Bick 4 leather conditioner on them. I put that stuff on just about every leather item I buy. I've had a bottle of that stuff for years, I initially bought it to restore some hand-me-down vintage lizard skin cowboy boots, since it's safe for exotic leathers. It uses lanolin (sheep's wool fat) to moisturize the leather (unlike cheaper conditioners that use artificial chemicals). Anyway, that left then really nice, evening out the nap and everything, but I wanted to put some weather protectant on them. I had read all the good things about Obenauf's on here, but was to eager to wear the boots so I picked up some Sno-Seal at REI. It also has a beeswax base. To apply, I left the boots and the Sno-Seal on the car dashboard for a few hours, so the leather warmed up and the Sno-Seal melted. Then I used a craft sponge brush to soak them in the melted wax, and buffed it when it dried. It darkened the leather, which I knew to expect, but I didn't like the turn out at first because it was too evenly dark. As I wore them the first time, though, some creases & scuffs began to show in the wax and they look awesome. It stormed here yesterday (first rain of the season) and it took me a while to realize that, had I been wearing sneakers, I would have had to watch out for puddles and mud. I had been walking through them without noticing.

rapefruit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
These boots are the ******* best..They broke in rather quickly and I agree they match my Purcell size. I'm an 11. And here is a Fit PIC.

What do you guys use to coat/protect the boots ? Sno Seal ? Obenauf's ? Something else ? Let me know.

IMG_1556.jpg

I used obenauf's on mine and I think it looks much better with it. The brown is darker and the leather doesn't scuff as easily as before. Might post pics later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads