• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Appreciation Thread

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
look, the strip mall ranks pretty low on California's valuable contributions to world culture. But I like the older housing stock, even when it is dull. I really don't like most of the replacements which is why I think LA's city-scapes are, overall, declining.

The idea that I am some knee-jerk LA-hater is absurd. I couldn't live there again because the traffic would make me insane but I still can appreciate the topography and lots of the buildings. When it was possible to move around freely at will (40-50 years ago?) I think I would have enjoyed living there.

Last edited:

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In another 40-50 years you'll be able to move about freely on the subway.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

In another 40-50 years you'll be able to move about freely on the subway.

Will never happen. Even if that "Fantasy map" system was built, it would still not be a convenient option for most Angelenos. I tried out the new elevated line to get from Chinatown to Culver City. With wait time and transfers it took two hours. In a car that's maybe a 45 minute trip in the worst traffic. Unless you are going from one point to another point on the same line, it's pretty useless.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wasn't putting you down as a knee-jerk la hater. but i do think it's true that it's a place that has a magical appeal to some and that others just don't get. no hate, it's just not your cup of tea.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

The idea that I am some knee-jerk LA-hater is absurd. I couldn't live there again because the traffic would make me insane but I still can appreciate the topography and lots of the buildings. When it was possible to move around freely at will (40-50 years ago?) I think I would have enjoyed living there.

Do you feel you can freely move around at will in NYC? If you feel like wandering through the cloisters but you work downtown it's not inconvenient?
It is possible to live close to your work here. That may not have been true 10 years ago, but it is now.
Hell, Genevieve works at an architecture firm and owns a business and probably spends about 40 minutes commuting total each week. She found work in our neighborhood despite it being mostly residential and turned down a higher paying job in Culver City to avoid the commute. I could work closer to home, probably in Downtown, which would have me in the car not more than 20 minutes each way. I don't because I like the job I have now, but if it was more important to me to drive less I most likely could. We rarely need to leave our neighborhood and can avoid driving in our leisure time if we don't want to.
I'm not saying traffic isn't a problem, but there are ways to minimize your exposure to it if you are so determined, and I don't see how that is a problem unique to Los Angeles. Traffic within NYC and San Francisco seems much worse to me for example. There are just disgusting trains that you can use to bypass the cluster for much of the city if you want.

Last edited:

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is ironic appreciation allowed?
-h-Dt9To24_g

Heh I actually love Berkeley, non-ironically. I might be biased because I go to school there, but it still seems like a great place to live, marsupialed politics aside. There's culture, food, a beautiful locale (esp. North side, I suppose the HIlls too), proximity to a few major cities (starting to warm-up to SF too). I used to think LA was the end-all-be-all for west coast living, but I'm starting to see the light.

Great video.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've got a really good friend who lives in the hills just above chez panisse. great modern house with views of three bridges. berkeley is a beautiful place to live.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

Heh I actually love Berkeley, non-ironically. I might be biased because I go to school there, but it still seems like a great place to live, marsupialed politics aside. There's culture, food, a beautiful locale (esp. North side, I suppose the HIlls too), proximity to a few major cities (starting to warm-up to SF too). I used to think LA was the end-all-be-all for west coast living, but I'm starting to see the light.
Great video.

Berkeley is the size of my neighborhood. Both are nice. I think Berkeley has better food, but my neighborhood might have more Berkeley grads.

Last edited:

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Berkeley is the size of my neighborhood. Both are nice. I think Berkeley has better food, but my neighborhood might have more Berkeley grads.

Heh, the sleepy suburb I grew up in is also the size of Berkeley. It probably also has more parents of Berkeley grads than Berkeley has Berkeley grads.

Which neighborhood do you live in? I would guess Los Feliz, maybe Silverlake?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I think we're technically in Los Feliz (Franklin Hills). You can see our house from Sunset Junction. Technically, I think Silverlake might also not be an actual neighborhood.

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Something for Manton. Cal Golden Bears vs. USC Trojans playing in SF Giant's Park. Halftime show. Cal band playing a medley of songs from California Girls (beach boys) to California Love (tupac). I could see the formation pretty well from my nosebleed seats. 

Dicture reported

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
i can get around NY easily and the trains are not bad. The fact that I don't have to drive and can read is a major plus.

getting around the city of SF can be a pain but the NorCal freeway system is wide open compared to SoCal. 280 is like my personal road, almost never backed up.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's easier to drive in NYC than SF. I find I yell at people a lot less in NYC because they know the first rule of city driving - keep the traffic moving. Can't say that same about SF.

On the plus side you can bully your way through the 4way stops here as most SFans approach the intersection like lambs.

lefty

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
See that door on the left there? Was the room we stayed in. Temps by 10 pm were in the low 30s, high 20s. Perfect to sit and drink freshly purchased wine in front of the fire.

hotel-cheval-pr.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads