• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calf belt with suede shoes?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it acceptable to wear a calf belt with suede shoes or should you wear a suede belt (assuming such a thing exists).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Such a thing definitely exists, but I don't think anyone can really take points off for wearing a non-suede belt if the color is similar.

IIRC, EG will make a belt in any leather they make shoes in, for around $125, if ordered at a trunk show or maybe through one of their retailers.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, although a suede belt with suede shoes is better. I do not have as many shades of brown belts in both calf and suede as I do in shoes, though, and I suspect most people are in my same situation.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like they said-you can do it, but the best approach would be a suede belt. FWIW, I wear a calf belt with suede shoes.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matching belt to shoe, desiring the exact same color and material = trying too hard

Although the well-dressed appear meticulous in their finish, they still desire a casual nonchalant attitude, purposefully mismatching items, having the thinner tie blade longer than the front blade...etc. Something along the line of sprezzatura.

If sprezzatura is an ideal we strive for, fanatical matchings of belt and shoe would be the exact opposite.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've given this some thought over the years (and have posted on it in the past), and I've come to the conclusion that it's probably better to match the texture in this case than the color. In other words, a suede belt (of which many exist, BTW--just hit eBay) in the same general color range as the shoes is far better than a better color match with a calf belt. It can take a little time to find a good belt for a particular pair of suede shoes, but if you persevere, you'll find one. As with matching calf belts to calf shoes, an exact color match is not necessary, and, perhaps, undesirable, although I wouldn't go so far as lee_44106 in seeing the attempt to achieve something of a match "fanatical"! For my dress--and even casual--suede shoes, which are all in shades of brown, I've managed to find suede belts in brown that are close enough. Since the belt and the shoes are separated by something on the order of 3 ft., any mismatch in color will be scarcely perceived. However, to my eye at least, a pairing of suede shoes with a calfskin belt produces a clash because of the textural differences.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

Although the well-dressed appear meticulous in their finish, they still desire a casual nonchalant attitude, purposefully mismatching items, having the thinner tie blade longer than the front blade...etc. Something along the line of sprezzatura.

That's trying way too hard, much more egregious than matching leathers. Sprezzatura blows up in ones face more often than not.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sprezzatura blows up in ones face more often than not.
2ms3r6w.jpg

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
^^^ Two more inches and that guy would look fantastic. I hope his lady friends don't have to say the same
devil.gif

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
devil.gif
. . . took me a while, but I think I got your message.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fine... I've been in stores and witnessed guys go to extreme lengths to match shoes and belt. Ie: bringing in the shoes and holding the belt up to them in different types of light... this is ridiculous IMO... This is usually the same crowd who admire the sweetness of matching a pocket square w/tie. It's like they know this one fashion rule and hang on to it like a life-boat.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
I just bought some off white suede shoes that have leather soles. Finding an off white suede belt is a bit of a challenge. I did find a brown leather and canvas belt that picks up the colors in the shoes and it seems to work fine.
I have this one in the sand color:

http://www.josbank.com/JAB_Partner.p...Id=1&link_Id=2

Despite its somewhat dubious provenance (Joseph Banks by way of China), it's a helluva nice belt--lined, domed, and carefully edge-stitched. The buckle is stylishly fashioned and nicely finished. The color sand is a very light gray-tan--actually shading slightly more towards brown and less towards gray than it appears in the image--and should work well with all off-white or "dirty" bucks--maybe even white too. You'll note that sand is not available in all lengths, but, in the event your usual length is not available in this color, just get a longer one and have it cut to size. I had mine cut and snap fasteners attached so that I could swap buckles from gold to silver (it's a standard 1 1/8" width, so this is easy).

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
Sprezzatura blows up in ones face more often than not.
2ms3r6w.jpg

Looks amazing IMO.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually wear a light tan sharkskin belt with my ivory bucks. I have no qualms about wearing calfskin belts with my darker suede shoes...perhaps its just the vulgarian in me, or maybe I'm just not that obsessive-compulsive, I dunno. I don't even own a suede belt for that matter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads