• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying my wife a goldendoodle: good or bad idea?

doodlelove

Reaction score

I had to join this site just so I could put in my two cents about Goldendoodles. First of all, no matter what type of dog you get, buying from a reputable breeder is the most important thing if you want to know what type of dog you are getting. I spent months researching dog breeds & breeders before deciding to purchase a goldendoodle. I did pay what I would consider a stupid amount of money for a mutt; however, in their defense, they are putting in the same amount of effort and money as any other breeder would.

We have a goldendoodle that is now 1 year old. He is only 30 pounds and absolutely perfect! I didn't buy him to impress my neighbors (my husband and daughter are both allergic to dogs), but we can't go anywhere without people stopping us to ask about our dog.

He is as soft as a stuffed animal, calm yet playful, doesn't shed at all and doesn't smell like a dog.

Good luck to those who are looking for a new addition to their family. I hope you find a dog as great as ours.

karina

Reaction score
Please, send me the breeder. I'm trying to find one as yours!!! He is lovely!
Thanks a lot!
Karina

LisaRe

Reaction score
Yes, could you also send me your breeder information as well. Thank you so much!! Lisa

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most of these "doodles" have no consistency of type, which is the primary reason for getting a purebred dog. I've seen "Labradoodles" that looked like Irish Wolfhounds, others that looked like Rhodesian Ridgebacks! FWIW, my dog Cyrus seems to particularly hate doodles.

I made this comment early in this discussion. Today, I was going down Signal Hill when I encountered a a woman with a dog with tight, black curly hair, floppy ears and a rather snipy muzzle. I asked if it were a curly-coated retriever (a breed it rather resembled). "Oh no,' the woman replied, "He's goldendoodle." See what I mean about no consistency of type.

parkdarily

Reaction score
agree.Yes do this, a dog is a dog and it's up to the owner to make the most out of it whatever breed it is.
nUhUoK

Last edited:

doglover

Reaction score
Yes if you like a dog that does not really shed ,has lots of energy and needs lots of exercise like running ,swimming walking etc . Some say its just a mutt but who cares as long as it's a good dog . You can get good well known purebreds that are terrible dogs with health issues just like crossbreeds . There is no real life guarantees , I lost my purebred Labrador to cancer suddenly . What did being purebred help me there. She was a very good dog as my golden doodle is also a very good child friendly, dog friendly and people friendly dog . Good luck , hope this helps.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well for one, she was able to go through life with some dignity being a Labrador Retriever versus the embarrassment of having to introduce oneself as Flopsy, the Goldendoodle.

lefty

Pennys Boat

Reaction score
It sounds like a made up breed to me - but then again I'm not much of a dog person. I'd rather go for jewellery if it was my wife since she is becoming quite a collector. She likes animals but I think her allergies have always stopped her from getting a dog or other pet. This is why she'd definitely prefer something from Mesenso as a gift for her birthday or Christmas.
I would love a cat but would have to agree with this idea rather than a pedigree breed;
Unless you or you wife have severe allergies, do the responsible thing and adopt a dog from your local shelter. Both dogs I've had as an adult were shelter dogs. Both times I visited to adopt I have been shocked at how many healthy, sweet, calm dogs were brought in just in the few hours we were there meeting dogs and doing paperwork. Most are socialized, housetrained and past their rambunctious/destructive phase - much better for an inexperienced owner than a puppy would be.

So no, don't buy a puppy of any breed - adopt a shelter dog.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other day I was getting my car washed--a sort of paleface equivalent of doing a rain dance--and we certainly need the rain! Anyway, sitting near me was a woman with a fluffy little white dog. There are a lot of fluffy little white dogs around, and I sometimes have a hard time differentiating them, so I asked her what the dog was. Her reply was, "Miniature Goldendoodle." Now that was a new one on me! Lest any of you think I was trying to flirt with the dog's owner, let me assure you she was so nondescript that I have already quite forgotten what she looked like--definitely not hot, not even lukewarm!

Reaction score
The process of conception would be damnable to watch. hahahaha. Its like a mouse on top of an elephant. otherwise, who is on top and who is on the bottom?

Mimi H

Reaction score
Got him from a very reputable breeder in middle Florida and he had undergone two weeks of "boot camp" before we picked him up.
Would you mind sharing the name of your breeder? We live in central Florida and are looking at Goldendoodles. Thanks,

Friedmett

Reaction score
I am into poodles by default (Many years of greatest experience with 2) so I am not sure what a Goldendoodles are at all. We did have a golden retriever for a few years though but wrong choice for the family.

Anyway with any dog choice study the race and figure out what you want in a dog and how your life style fits in. High energy dog and low energy family? Bad habits of the dog? Willingness to learn and adapt? That is from both owner and dog sides.

Better the dog hunted the cats or love them? Followed you when walking without a dog leash?

Assertive or thinking/hesitating before action?

How smart the dog could be?

How well behaved in public places?

Any kinds of attitudes?

Good luck with the search and eventually ownership for the right dog is a great experience in life!

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other evening, my wife and I were walking around the nearby lagoon when I saw a huge, shaggy black dog approaching. I was trying to place what it was: An uncropped Bouvier or Briard? Maybe a Black Russian Terrier? We greeted the owner and discovered, much to my surprise, that he was a 19-month-old goldendoodle. He weighed 85 pounds, but his thick, fleecy coat made him look a lot larger.

At the very inception of this thread, I commented that there seemed to be no consistency of type among these "doodles." This was yet another confirmation of that.

I will say that the dog seemed like an exceptionally sweet, friendly animal, and I trust he will prove an excellent companion to the owner and his family.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slashed by a goldendoodle! A new family moved into the house two doors down from us the other day. The have a two year old, 85-pound, cream-colored goldendoodle. I met the dog for the first time this morning. He seemed like a friendly, playful fellow. Almost immediately he ripped a 2 1/2-inch gash in my arm, and there I was, bleeding like proverbial stuck pig. His owner was terribly apologetic. Somehow, it seems especially ignominious to be mauled by a goldendoodle, of all "breeds." Actually, I wasn't angry with the dog. He was just indulging in a little rough play. Unfortunately, my old skin is like tissue paper and rips as easily. Anyway, I slapped a large bandage on it--no big deal, and I am sure the doodle and I will be good pals in the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads