• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying fabric online

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Hopefully J will soon wake up (literally) and close this thread.
which is a shame in a way since a first-time poster came with a legitimate query, and this is where it ended

lisapop

Reaction score
The fact that the so-called Moderators of this forum, who supposedly founded it to get away from exactly this type of **** on the GQ Forum, permit this to continue unchecked is disgusting.
Nice language, and from a man of the cloth
smile.gif
You see, I'm not selling pricey (Some might say over-priced) suits, shirts, ties, shoes, socks, books...or underwear on the Internet. So, I can write completely objectively about my experiences and my purchases. I have no agenda other than sharing some knowledge acquired the hard way, through the rather steep, and, sadly, expensive, learning curve. Happily, I've managed to sort through the hype and self-promotion, incurring much debt along the way, but, ultimately, assembling an elaborate wardrobe I'm rather proud of, which others are, happily, impressed with, too. I'm not the be-all, end-all Master of the Universe on all matters sartorial (I'll leave that to other false idols), however I do have a a bit of direct knowledge regarding cloth, tailors, shirtmakers (and shirt guys), shoemakers, and other related topics, from having had tons of clothes made along the way--Great clothes and, regrettably, much not-so-great. If others can benefit from my experience, I'm more than happy to share some of it. To those not interested, that's your privilege. I do find it rather unsettling, though, to see the level of pure unrestrained rage from some unhinged individuals. To borrow from the classic song Amazing Grace, "I once was blind, but now I see". Grayson

Brian SD

Reaction score
Calm it down please, Marc. You can act cleanhanded but your little stabs are obvious and obviously it's driving a few people crazy having to put up with it. Speaking of stabs, Alex, there are two moderators of this forum - Steve (who it seems has little time at the moment to be on the forum and read these posts), and j, whom no one here is in a position to give flak to. The other "so-called" moderators (LA Guy and myself) are not moderators of this forum. I don't think we could lock a thread even if we tried. Everyone stop being so butthurt. Please.

Brian SD

Reaction score
(Brian SD @ April 23 2005,11:35) butthurt
Damn, I must be old. What does that mean?
biggrin.gif
It's basically referring to some people getting seemingly far too frustrated. Dude, you use dude, but you don't know butthurt? Anyway, as per the test thread, apparently LA Guy and I can lock threads, so NO FUNNY BUSINESS. I'm kidding. I will only lock them if they get really bad. We're old enough to take care of ourselves, no?

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton - it's what you get from wearing RLPL thongs I think

Dunno, I am old too

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alex, did you wake up on the wrong side of crabby this morning? I've read Marc's posts very carefully, and it is clearly you who have been the aggressor, turning this post very sour. Too bad...this is not a nice introduction to a first-time poster.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's basically referring to some people getting seemingly far too frustrated. Dude, you use dude, but you don't know butthurt?
Dude, "dude" goes back a long way in one form or another.  At one point (arguably the original meaning) it even meant "dandy" or "surpremely well-dressed, almost overdressed, man."  But "butthurt" arrived after I had left those worlds where new slang swirls up from daily conversation.

Brian SD

Reaction score
(Brian SD @ April 23 2005,11:51) It's basically referring to some people getting seemingly far too frustrated. Dude, you use dude, but you don't know butthurt?
Dude, "dude" goes back a long way in one form or another. At one point (arguably the original meaning) it even meant "dandy" or "surpremely well-dressed, almost overdressed, man." But "butthurt" arrived after I had left those worlds where new slang swirls up from daily conversation.
Dude, that's interesting. I remember around 4th grade everyone was just discovering that it also means something in relation to a wart, though I can't recall.
Informal. A man who is very fancy or sharp in dress and demeanor.
(from dictionary.com). Nice
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Manton - it's what you get from wearing RLPL thongs I think
biggrin.gif
Now that I can understand.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of stabs, Alex, there are two moderators of this forum
Brian - I was not referring to you or LAGuy. I, and most others, am fully aware that you do not moderate this forum.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brian, "dude" might have been used to refer to blisters or sores that "dudes" (a.k.a. "dandies") would get on their backsides from improper riding techniques while visiting dude ranches. I've heard this before, too. However, I can't find it in any dictionary (though I haven't checked the OED...I don't own that one).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why do I have to wake up to this? Some days I honestly think about just shutting this place down. When the most respected members come out specifically trying to pick fights, I consider that extremely disrespectful. Anyone who finds the forum "disgusting" is free to tell me to my face, and if you have a problem with the "so-called" moderating of the forum, you'd best send it directly to me, because I don't like having to read every goddamned thread just in case I'm being trashed.

The thing I really loved about this forum for a long time was that it was basically self-policing, since everyone enjoyed the atmosphere of polite if occasionally vehement discussion, and thus helped to create and maintain it. I don't know what happened, but somewhere along the way some of you decided you had license to destroy it. Well, you don't. Keep it up, and the place will cease to exist, because I don't have the energy for it. Anyone who enjoys this place the way it can be is free to weigh in either publicly or privately to the members who are ruining it. I leave it up to you.

alchimiste

Reaction score
Nor do I recommend 100's 2x2 shirtings over my usual higher qualities
The average Joe has no clue what the heck 100 2-ply may be and would not be able to tell it apart from linen. Shown the price tag he would probably call that very expensive, luxurious, etc. When 100 2-ply is cheap stuff, obviously you're on the style forum.
smile.gif
Mathieu

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Alex has answered me, and I have moved that thread out of the public eye since it was addressed to me specifically. Edit:
(Alex
smile.gif
While these important issues are resolved, anyone who wants an answer from me regarding a shirt question can feel free to send an e-mail at [email protected] or visit me at Ask Andy.
This part was addressed to the forum in general.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads