• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying fabric online

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then again, there's a sizeable chance that your tailor or shirt guy is absolutely clueless about the quality of cloth.
Perhaps a clueless shirt guy might suggest that you would like to try Loro Piana's new Cruise Collection II 8oz. Linen & Cashmere (50% Cash/50% Linen) which is a nice Summer suiting or their (less attractive) Linen/Wool (55% Linen/ 45% New Zealand Wool) blend called Cambric available in 11oz stripes or 8.5oz solid colors.

lisapop

Reaction score
LP=Over-hyped, over-marketed, over-priced, underwhelming quality. Carlo Barbera rules.
Grayson

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LP=Over-hyped, over-marketed, over-priced, underwhelming quality. Carlo Barbera rules.
Absolutely agreed. Now, answer the man's question with the name of the Barbera linen blend ... or are you clueless?

lisapop

Reaction score

Absolutely agreed

Yet you nevertheless recommend LP.
Grayson

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I do not. I merely provided a source for something desired by a member which you claimed an inability to supply.

Nor do I recommend 100's 2x2 shirtings over my usual higher qualities ... but when someone needs a certain purple, orange, & green stripe, 100's are about the only place to find one. Hence, I don't tell them they can't have it, only that they can't have it in the quality I prefer to offer.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grayson, to repeat: Now, answer the man's question with the name of the Barbera linen blend ... or are you clueless?

lisapop

Reaction score
Perhaps a clueless shirt guy might suggest that you would like to try Loro Piana's new Cruise Collection II
Yet you nevertheless recommend LP. No, I do not. I merely provided a source for something desired by a member which you claimed an inability to supply
I did not claim any inability to supply a linen blend--I wrote that I drew a blank, which means I could not come up with a supplier, not that one does not exist. Â I wasn't aware I was being tested. Â Next time, I'll study harder before posting
smile.gif
Sounds like a recommendation to me, although it's a case of semantics, I suppose. Â Whatever. Â You "suggest" that someone "would like to try" cloth that you just acknowledged is over-priced and underwhelming in quality. Â Kind of confusing, but I'm not interested in pursuing the debate. I'd much rather clean the lint out of my trouser cuffs. Â Zei gezunt (Be in good health) Â Have a relaxing weekend, a Happy Passover to those who celebrate the holiday, and don't get "unraveled" over cloth. Grayson Post-script...
Absolutely agreed. Now, answer the man's question with the name of the Barbera linen blend ... or are you clueless?
Um, unless I'm missing something, *I* was the man who mentioned Carlo Barbera LOL. Â And, while I have not a clue of whether CB offers a linen blend (nor do I care for that matter), even better, I actually have the privilege of WEARING beautiful garments made for me made from Carlo Barbera cloth. Â Take it from me, wearing CB cloth is much more satisfying than silly postings about CB cloth. Grayson

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if I wanted a suit for the summer with linen in a blend, what would you recommend? Â I'll be in Paris for this.
I'm drawing a blank on any kind of respected linen blend for suits, etc. Â I'm not even sure what would be blended with linen, except, possibly cotton, but I would only recommend pure linen. Â Linen/cotton for shirts, perhaps. Grayson
All right, then. I will go that way. Any tailors worth a shot in Paris?

lisapop

Reaction score
Any tailors worth a shot in Paris?

Sorry, not a clue.  Just know about London and NY tailors.  Have a nice trip, though.  Charvet & Hermes ties and John Lobb & JM Weston shoes rule.
Grayson

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I do not. I merely provided a source for something desired by a member which you claimed an inability to supply. Nor do I recommend 100's 2x2 shirtings over my usual higher qualities ... but when someone needs a certain purple, orange, & green stripe, 100's are about the only place to find one. Â Hence, I don't tell them they can't have it, only that they can't have it in the quality I prefer to offer.
The suggestion you made of the blended fabric from LP may be excellent - if a blend is what you want to accept. In this case, I am looking for a source for a suit fabric of 10+ oz Irish lined. Linen as it is suposed to be. Notwithstanding that some can conjure up blends that should be better, as measured by any number of factors. I certainly would appreciate any suggestion of source that you may know of for the fabric. Or should I simply keep surfing for a supplier?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i have never seen him with any linens, but you could contact an ebay seller called how6955 and see if he ever comes across it. he carries a lot of high grade wools normally and is based in Leeds, I believe buying mill offcuts from the area. I have no clue whether that gives him access to Irish linens, but enquiry costs you only an email I guess, and youll never know unless you ask. He sells at unbeatable prices in small quantities. FYI - he is on vacation until May 5

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
I do not recommend buying cloth on line as a general rule because:

1. Unless you're getting a name brand (e.g., Smith's or Loro Piana), you don't know what you're getting. The names frequently mentioned here, such as Lesser and Harrisons, sell quality cloth, but there is a whole world of no name junk being sold.

2. Even if you're buying a name brand at a bargain price, you're probably getting either a second or cloth that could not be sold at retail, such as a lovely navy with a purple chalkstripe.

3. Unless you're in the trade and have a great knowledge of the cloth offered (e.g., Holland & Sherry's Snowy River 12 oz. navy), you need to see and feel the cloth. A color image on your computer screen is not a substitute.

4. As a layman, you might accept a cloth with a defect, which is not readily apparent to you. Either the tailor will refuse to make the suit or the suit will be a disappointment.

5. If the tailor loses or damages the cloth, then you will have a fight as to who should be responsible.

6. You might order too little cloth. E.g., a bold plaid will require more cloth. You might also over-compensate by ordering too much cloth.

In sum, you are better off going to a tailor with a good selection of cloth. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the experience.

Good luck.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suggestion you made of the blended fabric from LP may be excellent - if a blend is what you want to accept.

In this case, I am looking for a source for a suit fabric of 10+ oz Irish lined. Linen as it is suposed to be. Notwithstanding that some can conjure up blends that should be better, as measured by any number of factors. I certainly would appreciate any suggestion of source that you may know of for the fabric. Or should I simply keep surfing for a supplier?
Charley - I wasn't answering your original question as a number of previous posts had already done that. Another member had inquired about linen blends and I was trying to assist in answering that subsequent question. Sorry if you mistook my response.
Alex

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads