• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying fabric online

lisapop

Reaction score
Please read previous edifying posts about distinctions between alterations tailors and bespoke tailors, and whom should be consulted regarding cloth.
Grayson

offshore observer

Reaction score
(johnnynorman3 @ April 22 2005,17:01) I personally don't consider the type of person I described to be a tailor, which is why I put the word in quotation marks. Â But I think most people consider anyone who can hem pants to be a tailor, and thus place unwarranted faith in their knowledge sartorial. Â Hey, I can hem pants -- maybe I should call myself a tailor.
That type of person is called an "Alterations Tailor"... according to A&S and others...
An alterations tailor is the person who corrects others' mistakes, which is not always an easy thing to do.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(T4phage @ April 22 2005,08:17)
Originally Posted by johnnynorman3,April 22 2005,17:01
I personally don't consider the type of person I described to be a tailor, which is why I put the word in quotation marks. Â But I think most people consider anyone who can hem pants to be a tailor, and thus place unwarranted faith in their knowledge sartorial. Â Hey, I can hem pants -- maybe I should call myself a tailor.
That type of person is called an "Alterations Tailor"... according to A&S and others...
An alterations tailor is the person who corrects others' mistakes, which is not always an easy thing to do.
True to some extent. Here is Kilgour's definition: "Alterations : Most tailoring firms operate piece-work (q.v.) payment systems with Tailor their tailors . Consequently a coatmaker's work is finished sometime before the garment is actually ready for delivery to the customer. Apart from the finishing stage, it is usually the case that minor adjustments to the fit of the garment will be needed to achieve perfection. For these final touches the cutter will use an alteration tailor. Alteration tailors are highly skilled since they alter the work of other tailors. Because of this they are normally housed separately from their colleagues" Yes, they alter other's work... but they do not create.

offshore observer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by offshore observer,April 22 2005,17:56
Originally Posted by T4phage,April 22 2005,08:17
Originally Posted by johnnynorman3,April 22 2005,17:01
I personally don't consider the type of person I described to be a tailor, which is why I put the word in quotation marks. Â But I think most people consider anyone who can hem pants to be a tailor, and thus place unwarranted faith in their knowledge sartorial. Â Hey, I can hem pants -- maybe I should call myself a tailor.

True to some extent. Â Here is Kilgour's definition: "Alterations : Most tailoring firms operate piece-work (q.v.) payment systems with Tailor their tailors . Consequently a coatmaker's work is finished sometime before the garment is actually ready for delivery to the customer. Apart from the finishing stage, it is usually the case that minor adjustments to the fit of the garment will be needed to achieve perfection. For these final touches the cutter will use an alteration tailor. Alteration tailors are highly skilled since they alter the work of other tailors. Because of this they are normally housed separately from their colleagues" Yes, they alter other's work... but they do not create.
If someone can only hem trousers and nothing more, then I'm not sure what I'd call them...perhaps "drycleaners"?

lisapop

Reaction score
One other advantage of establishing a friendly rapport with your tailor, in allowing him to buy cloth on your behalf, is that you become privy to exclusive finds that only the tailors  have access to from the distributors.  Case in point, one tailor with whom I have a good relationship was just presented with some very hard-to-find vintage cloth and especially rare Golden Bale patterns by the distributor, and I was given first crack at the cloth, available only in very small, limited quantities.  I would never have had such access unless through my friendly tailor.
Grayson

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Presented with the opportunity to source quality tweeds directly and have them sewn by someone that's made dozens of garments for me, in a known silhouette, I see no reason not to eliminate the retail markup.

In my case, the CMT provider could destroy one batch of cloth for every one sewn successfully and I'd still be way ahead.

I agree that the circumstances are unusual.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Presented with the opportunity to source quality tweeds directly and have them sewn by someone that's made dozens of garments for me, in a known silhouette, I see no reason not to eliminate the retail markup.
I agree completely in this instance. And, perhaps, the real incentive isn't saving the few dollars of retail markup, but the quality of the cloth and certainty of make?

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In an attempt to return to the original thread topic, I ask if someone here knowledgeable of fabrics could suggest a source for the 10.5 oz Irish linen. Preferably with color choices that include a "dirty" white. Possibly a source that is available online - so that I do not have to visit NYC to have a personal conversation with the proprietor. And, while I'm wishing, one with an affordable price.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If someone can only hem trousers and nothing more, then I'm not sure what I'd call them...perhaps "drycleaners"?
No, you must also be proficient at destroying shirts and pressing coat lapels flat in order to achieve that exalted title.

lisapop

Reaction score
For years, the Rolls Royce of Irish linen was from Spencer Bryson, in Dublin, however I'm not certain if they're still in business. W. Bill in the UK offers superb Irish linen, as well as a distributor out of Italy called Drapers. Hope this helps.
Grayson

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For years, the Rolls Royce of Irish linen was from Spencer Bryson, in Dublin, however I'm not certain if they're still in business.  W. Bill in the UK offers superb Irish linen, as well as a distributor out of Italy called Drapers.  Hope this helps.
Grayson
Grayson,

Thank you for the help.
I found that company within the last few days. It is now part of another group - name now escapes me. Little information available about them on the WWW - they puffed their quality and that was about it. Nothing for retailer or sourcing contact, IIRC. So, I surfed away. I will have to try to find it again and look more thoroughly.

lisapop

Reaction score
Charley, this organization might be of assistance, too... Irish Linen Guild 028 9268 9999 Fax 028 9268 9968 Email [email protected] Grayson

Darren Beaman

Reaction score
marc

For years, the Rolls Royce of Irish linen was from Spencer Bryson, in Dublin, however I'm not certain if they're still in business. W. Bill in the UK offers superb Irish linen, as well as a distributor out of Italy called Drapers. Hope this helps.
Grayson

Spencer Bryson, still in business, use them myself.

but if you`re looking for linen hankerchiefs, The Irish Linen Shop, LONDON

The Irish Linen Shop
35/36 Burlington Arcade
Piccadilly
London W1
T 020 7493 8949

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
grayson,

if I wanted a suit for the summer with linen in a blend, what would you recommend? I'll be in Paris for this.

thanks in advance

lisapop

Reaction score
if I wanted a suit for the summer with linen in a blend, what would you recommend? I'll be in Paris for this.

I'm drawing a blank on any kind of respected linen blend for suits, etc. I'm not even sure what would be blended with linen, except, possibly cotton, but I would only recommend pure linen. Linen/cotton for shirts, perhaps.
Grayson

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads