• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Are these the same people that gave @Fueco
 **** about Velcro? 

Quite probably. As I understand it, Brand A contracts "security" company Z to "protect" their brand. They employee people and algorithms to seek things that they don't like and invoke VeRO. eBay trusts the brand and pulls the listing until you can sufficiently "prove" provenance.

I'm completely against fakes, especially when they're being sold as the real deal. VeRO was created to both fight counterfeit merchandise and appease the brands. Some use it appropriately and limit the junk that is posted. Others, and this is the problem, use it to remove anything that they don't like. It may be because of price-points or their viewpoint that it cheapens their name, but too often it violates the right of second sale.

OolongT

Reaction score

Quite probably. As I understand it, Brand A contracts "security" company Z to "protect" their brand. They employee people and algorithms to seek things that they don't like and invoke VeRO. eBay trusts the brand and pulls the listing until you can sufficiently "prove" provenance.

I'm completely against fakes, especially when they're being sold as the real deal. VeRO was created to both fight counterfeit merchandise and appease the brands. Some use it appropriately and limit the junk that is posted. Others, and this is the problem, use it to remove anything that they don't like. It may be because of price-points or their viewpoint that it cheapens their name, but too often it violates the right of second sale.

My listing couldn't possibly cheapen the name of Coach any worse than what they've already done to themselves. :rimshot:

A PM from @1ofTheCoolKids reminded me that Coach recently moved their serial number to a small interior tag (instead of it being stamped on the leather creed). Listing didn't include a pic of this tag so I could get how a hasty review could think it looked fake. Hopefully I'll be able to provide additional pics and clear it up.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
**** Vero.

I had an issue with something once for violating import laws. The company never responded when I asked why. I resold it without international shipping as an option.

OolongT

Reaction score
Yeah this is lame; I'm not quite sure what my next step is supposed to be..

Can't reply to the eBay deletion message I received (even though the text says that I should), and they only provide generic Coach contact info.. like I'm just supposed to just call up Coach and ask why they deleted my eBay listing.
crazy.gif

Westbound

Reaction score
Need some advice from you guys. I bought a jacket from the eBay seller Topshelfapparel (member Vman on here) and like an idiot I sent the payment (almost $700) as gift. Received the jacket, zipper was damaged, sent the jacket back to him and after two emails, I received no response or refund from him in three weeks. Got nowhere with Paypal and so I'm wondering: is small claims the only option or is there any other way to get this guy to return my funds?

Last edited:

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some advice from you guys. I bought a jacket from the eBay seller Topshelfapparel (member Vman on here) and like an idiot I sent the payment (almost $700) as gift. Received the jacket, zipper was damaged, sent the jacket back to him and after two emails, I received no response or refund from him in three weeks. Got nowhere with Paypal and so I'm wondering: is small claims the only option or is there any other way to get this guy to return my funds?
Did you buy the jacket through eBay and through forum messaging? I am sure that you made it clear but my medicine head is preventing coherent thought.

Last edited:

Westbound

Reaction score
^Right. Found the jacket on eBay, but finalized the transaction directly through Paypal. Only contact made through the forum was to inquire about the refund and that, too, went unanswered.

OolongT

Reaction score
Makes sense... My brain is only firing on about 2 cylinders right now. lol

lol8[1].gif

^Right. Found the jacket on eBay, but finalized the transaction directly through Paypal. Only contact made through the forum was to inquire about the refund and that, too, went unanswered.

Did you have some correspondence about the zipper prior to shipping it back? Did you use tracking on the return?

Westbound

Reaction score
Yes to both the correspondence and the tracking.

His initial response to my very first email about the zipper was a suggestion for me to use nail polish to see if that would help (it's an issue with the cloth at the very bottom of the zipper). I told him I was looking for a more permanent fix and that if I was unable to find one, I would then return the jacket to him. He said, "Yep, keep me posted." Not having found an easy fix, I did exactly that: returned the jacket, provided tracking and that was that. Haven't heard anything from him since.

classicthrifter

Reaction score
I am nearly finished with my backlog and have left the blazers and suits for last because I do not like money apparently.

I need help with the arm measurements.

when I measure shirts I go from the top shoulder to the cuff in the front. I thought I would do blazers the same way such as this:

25.5":

The Ask Andy guide has the sleeve folded over the back like this but the measurement is then a full inch different:

24.5"

Which is the correct way to get the most accurate measurement? It seems odd to fold the sleeve over the back before taking the measurement.

Thanks for any tips anyone has! I'm looking forward towards emptying my closet of all the suits and blazers there...

Dirt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your first picture is pretty much how I do mine. Second picture is some weird **** I've never seen before.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gr @ lied question:

So when you sell an item, you're charged a 6% site fee. I'm trying to figure out the PayPal fees. Are you charged the 3%-ish PayPal fee, and also another PayPal fee from gr@iled? (Ie, 2 PayPal fees?). This appears to be the case with my most recent sale. I paid gr@iled 9-10%, and another 3%-ish to PayPal, I think.

I asked for clarification and was sent a link to the terms of service, which was still murky. A second email went unanswered.

Last edited:

classicthrifter

Reaction score
Your first picture is pretty much how I do mine. Second picture is some weird **** I've never seen before.

Aha! I had been looking at a fuzzy print out. I tracked down the website and the picture is clearer there. For some reason he's folded the arm over the back instead of just doing it from the front:

https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/clothing/style-tips/how-to-measure-a-jacket/

When I folded it over the back just like it shows in the actual picture online I get the same measurement on both the front and back side. Doh! Your comment helped! Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads