• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartoriamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And people sometimes complain that I have handling time set for two days. 😜
Yeah, that's the whole "Amazon effect". Bezos ruined it for everyone. I have the same 2-day handling time (just to account for glitches and items requiring odd packing), but do my best to ship everything out the same day or next if it's past cutoff. This works fine as I am usually a relatively low-volume seller (30-40 items and $4K a month). Mondays usually have the highest volume from crap I'm blowing out at auction that ends Sunday nights like everyone else. Nine times out of ten I get at least one email every Monday: "can you ship this today?" And what's more, it's usually for the ten buck blowout item that's barely worth my time. People drive me nuts!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this boilerplate in all of my listings. I still shop pretty much every day, but I figure I should cover myself.

IMG_9053.jpeg

StanleyWingtip

Reaction score
How would you guys go about listing these coats and Jackets with no maker,size, fabric tags on ebay? I bought these all from one man’s collection and many others were Edgar Pomeroy and the stitching/linings makes me think they’re also Pomeroy but no tags saying so.

“Anonymous bespoke”?

Thanks!

IMG_7921.jpeg IMG_7924.jpeg IMG_7926.jpeg IMG_7929.jpeg IMG_7933.jpeg IMG_7938.jpeg IMG_7941.jpeg IMG_7946.jpeg IMG_7889.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7950.jpeg
    IMG_7950.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 23

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you guys go about listing these coats and Jackets with no maker,size, fabric tags on ebay? I bought these all from one man’s collection and many others were Edgar Pomeroy and the stitching/linings makes me think they’re also Pomeroy but no tags saying so.

“Anonymous bespoke”?

Thanks!

View attachment 2243533 View attachment 2243535 View attachment 2243537 View attachment 2243539 View attachment 2243541 View attachment 2243543 View attachment 2243545 View attachment 2243547 View attachment 2243551
I wouldn't bother putting "anonymous" in the listing title. Just use the extra characters for descriptors that might get searched.

Conclusive

Reaction score
1726037671200.png

I don't know how to quote from another forum, but I had this situation arise at the end of August/start of September. I posted on the Thrift thread because that's the only thread I've really participated in (didn't know there was an eBay thread) with a description of the situation:

"I bought the jacket from a Polo Factory Store in Vegas, so I know it's authentic, and nobody in my vicinity smokes or chews tobacco. I've had situations like this before, but those were with items I picked up at the thrift, which have a higher probability of me missing some defect. This was brand new, albeit discounted, at an official retail store.

A return is annoying, sure, but not terribly problematic in the long run. Based on these messages, I'm more worried he's going to ship something else back in a bait-and-switch."

I responded to the buyer with:

1726037981224.png

Which was followed up by:

1726038011876.png

It's been about a week with no response. The buyer hasn't opened a return yet, but I hate having the anxiety of knowing that the buyer has until the end of September to ask for a return. Does the length of time between receiving the item and the buyer requesting a return factor into eBay's decision on a return/dispute? I've already contacted eBay customer service about the situation, but are there any additional steps I should take? I'm already planning on recording myself opening the return parcel if the buyer forces a return.

goatamous II

Reaction score
I think all you can do is sit and wait. As you said, the buyer has until the end of the month (plus some additional time to actually ship the item)

It's annoying, but after you receive the item back you have to file an appeal, which also takes some time and potentially some arguing with ebay

Hopefully this ends up being something the buyer is negligent on, but in the meantime just get your ducks in a row to file that appeal.

Sartoriamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

“Anonymous bespoke”?

Thanks!
I would still list these as "Edgar Pomeroy? Hand-sewn bespoke blah blah blah" with an explanation in the full description text. Having the question mark solves the keyword search issue, with the goal of having the Pomeroy fan open the listing, and reading your explanation of the imaginary "consignor" getting all his custom clothing made by EP. The style of the items you showed are clearly all from the same "atelier". Rumor has it that while EP "designed" all of the garments, he was not actually a tailor (more of a pompous a$$), and everything was made by Martin Greenfield. Your trivia for today . . .

florent

Reaction score
Recently I've seen some sellers filling the item specifics fields with a bunch of similar brands or other keywords (random example here). Is that ok with Ebay rules? Do you feel it's a fair practice?
I'm curious as it seems to actually work to get more visibility in search results.

vestbash

Reaction score
Recently I've seen some sellers filling the item specifics fields with a bunch of similar brands or other keywords (random example here). Is that ok with Ebay rules? Do you feel it's a fair practice?
I'm curious as it seems to actually work to get more visibility in search results.

Using a brand name that doesn't apply to the listing is not allowed per ebay's rules and can be reported as "search and browse manipulation". Ebay generally does enforce this rule but it can take a little time for listings to get pulled down.

Generally, ebay does not police words use as descriptors. For example if a sportcoat was a three button but "two button" was used as an additional keyphrase to attempt to drive traffic to the listing, that's not something that in my experience ebay cares about even if it may be implicitly or explicitly against the rules.

goatamous II

Reaction score
That's interesting @florent
Once upon a time I used to see it in the title, but I don't think I've ever seen it buried in the details like that. Wonder if it does actually increase the search hits

It's not allowed but I imagine having it buried in the details gets it past the initial screening

florent

Reaction score
Using a brand name that doesn't apply to the listing is not allowed per ebay's rules and can be reported as "search and browse manipulation". Ebay generally does enforce this rule but it can take a little time for listings to get pulled down.

Generally, ebay does not police words use as descriptors. For example if a sportcoat was a three button but "two button" was used as an additional keyphrase to attempt to drive traffic to the listing, that's not something that in my experience ebay cares about even if it may be implicitly or explicitly against the rules.
Thank you, that makes sense

That's interesting @florent
Once upon a time I used to see it in the title, but I don't think I've ever seen it buried in the details like that. Wonder if it does actually increase the search hits

It's not allowed but I imagine having it buried in the details gets it past the initial screening
I suppose it works because that's how I found them, rather high in the results too

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zish