• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird post history, probably just forgot their meds today.

I’m just trying to imagine having such a narrow view of reality to think that everyone lives and thinks the same way as oneself.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walmart is just too far away with these gas prices.

They did have those killer Harris Tweed blazers a few years ago…

I need to find a maker of bespoke budgie smugglers.

Last edited:

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I accept returns. They are very rare, but they happen. I sold a pair of Nettleton suede boots last week. The guy politely requested a return due to not fitting. No problem... return accepted. They arrived today. Same condition as sent, except... He added heel taps to the boots. Curious as to how you guys would proceed. I have not messaged him regarding this.

DSC_9513.JPG

vestbash

Reaction score
I accept returns. They are very rare, but they happen. I sold a pair of Nettleton suede boots last week. The guy politely requested a return due to not fitting. No problem... return accepted. They arrived today. Same condition as sent, except... He added heel taps to the boots. Curious as to how you guys would proceed. I have not messaged him regarding this.

View attachment 1810468

Those heel taps can be removed with a flathead screwdriver without much effort without risk of damaging the heel. If there is any glue residue you can remove it with some acetone (don't get the acetone on the uppers). Should only take you about 5-10 minutes at the most if you have these tools on hand. If the boots are otherwise unchanged, the value of the boots really isn't impacted. It's probably not worth the fight to try and deduct any funds from the return for this, will just be easier to remove the taps and move on.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those heel taps can be removed with a flathead screwdriver without much effort without risk of damaging the heel. If there is any glue residue you can remove it with some acetone (don't get the acetone on the uppers). Should only take you about 5-10 minutes at the most if you have these tools on hand. If the boots are otherwise unchanged, the value of the boots really isn't impacted. It's probably not worth the fight to try and deduct any funds from the return for this, will just be easier to remove the taps and move on.
You should have heard the lady I talked to at eBay. She said, "That is completely unacceptable. You can deduct up to 50% of the selling price and you are protected from any negative feedback or low DSR scores." I told her that they may come off without any damage. She said, "It was up to the buyer to remove them prior to sending them back." I charged the buyer 20%. :lol:

vestbash

Reaction score
You should have heard the lady I talked to at eBay. She said, "That is completely unacceptable. You can deduct up to 50% of the selling price and you are protected from any negative feedback or low DSR scores." I told her that they may come off without any damage. She said, "It was up to the buyer to remove them prior to sending them back." I charged the buyer 20%. :lol:

Nice, works out in your favor!

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a big ebay user but what do you guys feel about all the huge markup drop shipping that goes on? I only started using saved keyword searches recently and thought eBay kept on alerting me to the same auctions until I realized they were multiple auctions for the same item. Seems like a USA seller would just copy a Japanese sellers auction with an extra $150 tacked which this seems hugely scummy to me? You guys ever have this happen to your items? This doesn't violate eBay tos in any way?

eBay makes money off it, so no…

I’ve complained about this on here before. Luckily (at least with my saved searches) the resellers are actually overseas — so I changed my searches to US only. That way, the ten or so new items pop-up per day, with the option (directly below) to the.scroll through all the copied items from rakuten, yahoo Japan, etc.

You can also reframe it and use it to your advantage by considering it a heads-up an item you like is much cheaper on another site.

I still eff with these guys occasionally (especially if they send me an offer on something I’ve liked). Could I have actual photos? Measurements? Why not? You’re still selling this, right? Oh, your supplier has it? Does this other seller with the same pictures have the same supplier? Oh, that’s fascinating. Well, how does that work? Can’t I just buy it form your supplier if they’re obviously on rakuten?

The Japanese resellers are (always in my experience) polite about answering questions, so it can be fun.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I replied to his return request, attaching these photos.

Along with a third screenshot of the contact info for the President and VP of his employer... where he's the head of the IT department.

"Check", and Mate in 2 moves.

Your move arsix. A forfeit would save you some dignity. So far it's just a lie, once it's sent back in the mail, it becomes so much more. This could be the most costly $50 scam you've ever pulled.

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 8.11.37 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 8.11.23 AM.png

Last edited:

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I replied to his return request, attaching these photos.

Along with a third screenshot of the contact info for the President and VP of his employer... where he's the head of the IT department.

"Check", and Mate in 2 moves.

Your move arsix. A forfeit would save you some dignity. So far it's just a lie, once it's sent back in the mail, it becomes so much more. This could be the most costly $50 scam you've ever pulled.

View attachment 1811461 View attachment 1811462
The old switcheroo. Nice work @capnwes !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads