• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A note for any of you who are contemplating switching to a DSLR . . .

I just bought a Nikon D3300, but I'm really wrestling with whether to continue with it, or sell it and go back to an advanced Point & Shoot. I've been using a decent quality P&S with manual control ever since I started eBay (well, mind-bogglingly, my earliest eBay listings, in the late 90s, used film that got put onto a CD at Costco). The last 7 years I've had a Canon S95, and it has served me well, but has become unreliable. Hence the thought to "upgrade" to DSLR.

However, I ran into a significant issue right away because I have not held a viewfinder up to my eye in 15 years. I ALWAYS use the LCD. So that's years of ingrained habit doing arms-length images. But it seems that in this DSLR (and others), using the LCD makes the shutter release process slow to a clunky crawl: several seconds instead of a fraction of a second, for reasons I've read about online. And, presumably related to this arms-length technique in a heavier camera, combined with the double mirror actuation of Live View, pretty much all the close-ups are motion-blurred, even with a fast shutter speed. A bunch of Googling suggests the general consensus is to use the viewfinder instead of the LCD. But damn . . . that's a MAJOR change, as I currently take every image without bending, putting my elbows on the table, or having to stabilize the camera any other way.

So, having just finally figured this out, I'll head on over to my eBay office tomorrow and see if I can actually change my workflow/desk height/etc to accommodate using a viewfinder.

I guess the main takeaway/tip from this is that if you've spent the last umpteen years using an LCD for composition on your phone/camera/tablet, a DSLR may be a bigger "adjustment" than you bargained for!!

I've definitely sang their praises in the past, but before you go back to a point-and-shoot read some reviews on the Sony mirrorless cameras. I started out with a NEX-3N and recently upgraded to an a6000 and couldn't be happier. To me it's the perfect happy medium between being a P&S on steroids and a dumbed down (but powerful) DSLR.

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did the point and shoot thing for a while. However, after purchasing a Nikon 3200, 3300, and 7000, I will never go back to non-dslr formats.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the point and shoot thing for a while. However, after purchasing a Nikon 3200, 3300, and 7000, I will never go back to non-dslr formats.

I wouldn't necessarily only recommend DSLRs, Mirrorless cameras are where the camera industry is heading. DSLRs won't be going away anytime soon, but the really amazing advancements in cameras right now are in mirrorless bodies with interchangeable lenses. The tech isn't quite "there" enough if you're truly demanding of your gear, but it will be within the next few years.

I have a horrible time trying to use LCD displays to take pictures, as SLRs are so ingrained into my training; going all the way back to using my dad's old Canon AE-1 Program 35mm SLR.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So,this guy sends a message after I ship his purchase saying that he ordered the wrong size. Because the different sizes of these are different listings, I suggest that he buy the correct size and return the wrong size when he gets it. This is his charming response. Now, he's not going to get the right size, at least not from me. I especially love his comment about the high price he paid (50% of retail).

IMG_8004.PNG

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a delightful character! His name looks very pretty indeed on my blocked bidder list.

All over $20 too... Jesus. Sorry dude.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't get how to combine items on eBay. Some dude wants to buy two of my items and get a deal, but I'm not sure how to send him that offer.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
I don't get how to combine items on eBay. Some dude wants to buy two of my items and get a deal, but I'm not sure how to send him that offer.

Just make an agreement in advance about the price you will honor on each item, have him make you that offer on each one, then send him an invoice with the shipping adjusted per your agreement. He has to hold off from paying the individual items from the automated eBay invoices, and wait for the combined one you send him.

I should note that 50% of the time, buyers screw this up, despite careful instructions, and I end up having the do a partial shipping refund via PayPal. Sigh.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a delightful character! His name looks very pretty indeed on my blocked bidder list.

All over $20 too... Jesus. Sorry dude.

His next message was even better. Methinks this guy is frustrated over something else and is taking it out on me. Though he does have some interesting negs left for other people in the past.

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 9.28.58 AM.png

bert9000

Reaction score
color.png

How should I fight this? Is telling him that every monitor displays color differently enough and would that protect me from a neg? This guy already has a note placed on him when I called eBay, by the way.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 828755

How should I fight this? Is telling him that every monitor displays color differently enough and would that protect me from a neg? This guy already has a note placed on him when I called eBay, by the way.

Color variances are not covered by buyer protection. Just let the EBay rep know what you just wrote and you should be fine.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Should I respond to him directly or just call eBay?

If he's already opened a return, and you don't accept returns, call. If you accept returns, you'll have to wait until the item is returned.

bert9000

Reaction score
If he's already opened a return, and you don't accept returns, call. If you accept returns, you'll have to wait until the item is returned.

I don't accept returns. He has only asked me to provide a refund; no case has been opened yet. Think I'll still give eBay a call.

bert9000

Reaction score
They basically told me to wait until he opens a return request. Should I respond to him in the meantime?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads