• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Button Down Collars: Do You Ever Wear Them Unbuttoned?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
As a young Canadian, I've always had an emotional aversion to BD collars. I'd like to think it's because they're a piece of Americana creeping into the Commonwealth.
smile.gif

Anyway, the majority of casual shirts in Canada are BD collar, because they're being sold by American companies. I often see people wearing them with the buttons undone, because I assume most Canadians wish the buttons weren't there.

Eh? In my 36.5 years of living in Canukistan I've never once heard anyone wail about button down collars on either sartorial or nationalistic grounds.

At any rate, I keep them buttoned down.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
I disagree. I think men's style is superfluous enough. It's not that it takes another 5 seconds to get dressed and it becomes an obstacle, it's just that some details are just too much. Tie bars, collar bars, collar pins, collar buttons, tie chains, tie pins... really? Do you really need all that stuff? I rather stick to the minimal things such as shirt without collar buttons and tie (and handkerchief).

I don't own any shirts with buttondown collars and don't intend on ever owning any. If you want to look more casual, just ditch the tie for the day. But I don't even have casual fridays so I don't have a choice.

Just my opinion. And about the question of the post, I think if they're there, you should probably button them. And if you don't, the only people who would notice are probably women.

I don't think it means you have to go for a casual look. I all of my Thom Browne oxfords are button downs and I always wear them with a tie.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OCBDs are at their best with the collar points buttoned but the neck _unbuttoned_. That is what they were born to do, as it were. Why anyone would sacrifice the wave that comes from buttoning those collar points is beyond me. But i'll stop now.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typical Italian affection.
devil.gif

Like working sleeve buttons on a jacket...If an unbuttoned DB collar meant that the shirt was expensive or custom made, then everyone would think it was an affection too, but since shirts are cheap it seems a lot people don`t care either way.

sanrensho

Reaction score
My ex-boss used to always wear his bd collars unbuttoned. He was a big, fat, sloppy idiot, cussing and farting as he waddled down the hall... believe me, it didn't help his image.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I stopped buttoning the collars maybe 10 years ago. I stopped wearing ties every day around 10 years ago. Today, if I wear a tie, it's with a spread collar anyway, so any button-down shirts are worn casually.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Typical Italian affection.
devil.gif

Like working sleeve buttons on a jacket...If an unbuttoned DB collar meant that the shirt was expensive or custom made, then everyone would think it was an affection too, but since shirts are cheap it seems a lot people don`t care either way.

I believe you mean Gianni Agnelli's pension for doing this as weel as wearing his wrist watch over his sleeve cuff.

Gary

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I don't think it means you have to go for a casual look. I all of my Thom Browne oxfords are button downs and I always wear them with a tie.

Don't the "Thom Browne Rules of Suit Etiquette" say something about leaving OCDBs unironed and the collar buttons undone?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GiantMoose
Like the title asks, do you ever unbutton your button down collars?
Unless you're willing to wear Post-It notes on your shoulders that read "I left these unbuttoned on purpose," it seems to me that most people are going to assume that you simply forgot to button them.

Perhaps a good rule of thumb might be to wear them unbuttoned only in situations casual enough that you would also consider leaving your fly unzipped.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
Don't the "Thom Browne Rules of Suit Etiquette" say something about leaving OCDBs unironed and the collar buttons undone?

Yes, I do the 1st.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer

Perhaps a good rule of thumb might be to wear them unbuttoned only in situations casual enough that you would also consider leaving your fly unzipped.

I imagine many guys would be perfectly willing to do the former if they believed it might lead to the latter.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Unless you're willing to wear Post-It notes on your shoulders that read "I left these unbuttoned on purpose," it seems to me that most people are going to assume that you simply forgot to button them.

But that's kinda the point. A cavalier inattention to detail.

I used to be very uptight about this type of thing, but now I'm not. It's a good change, I think.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Here is an old picture. Really not that big of a deal, but I think it looks fine.

tdx008uk4.jpg

I think this just looks bad, sloppy... what's the point really? If you don't want your collar buttoned down, then wear a different shirt. Are you trying to save money on shirts by buying BDs and having them perform double duty? I doubt it. It's really no big deal but I just don't get it. Kinda like leaving sleeve or shirt cuffs unbuttoned imo.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Funny, I despise leaving a sleeve cuff undone, but leaving the collar undone has sort of grown on me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads