• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burgol Shoe Polish.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. Shoe polish is a functional product though. I think the only way to find the best is to try them out. Unfortunately, these cost more than $20 a can...which probably goes into the labeling
wink.gif
. Not saying it's not a good product- I'm sure it's great. For instance, the lincoln can is as plain as can be, yet works quite well-and can be had for $5.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
imho Lincoln has several things going for them:

They are the best wax polish I have found.

They smell good

Their tin is the best design in terms of function (note, no knob on it).

Their black wax is standard USMC issue and shipped in gallon drums, which I find hilarious

Their world headquarters is about 15 minutes away from me, in Sunnyvale CA

They are cheap, $4-5 per large tin.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On their amusingly bad website, it states they use carnauba wax which is interesting.

How does that compare to beeswax as used by Saphir, or Avel, I suppose.

There's another brand called Wren which also uses that snap-open can design. Apparently it was or is part of the Meltonian brand but it has the Queen's Royal Warrant. It dries up easily though.

cocteau

Reaction score
Hi,
I´m actually using some Burgol products.
I have used their leather sole oil which to my impression helps to keep the sole flexible, but since I havent got a lont germ comparison, its hard to say if its better or worse than others. In Germany its quite popular among shoe people though it stinks horrible.

I also use some Burgol Shoe Shine. I have used Black and Bordeaux. Both have a very strong color which is very good if you want to cover something. The consistency is rather hard, though in my opinion a little softer than kiwi. If I compare it to the bordeaux saphir was, i must say the saphir one gives a brighter shine and looks more natural. But this is maybe just my opinion.

There is a guy promoting it very aggressively in germany. Forgot the name though. This guy spammed threads like "help I dont know how to polish shoes" on a noob-level a few years ago and tada!! now he shows everyone he is the big expert. So I really dont like the burgol marketing. Its too much wannabe traditional ****. In the german "newsaboutshoes" forum might be more detailed information about it.

Dont understand me wrong, burgol is a superb product. In one league with kiwi and I think slightly worse than saphire things. But i refuse showing sympathy to it.

Hope that shines some light.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Nice feedback, thanks. I guess I'll stick with Saphir, I like their products.

Yes I think I know who you are speaking of, he's promoting Burgol on FB pretty hard.

Are there any Italian premium polish makers out there or what? Given the amount of shoes they produce one would think some shoe polish companies would follow in their wake?

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score

Are there any Italian premium polish makers out there or what? Given the amount of shoes they produce one would think some shoe polish companies would follow in their wake?

There sure is - Turms

Excellent shoe care.

You can get it from these guys:

https://www.thebureaubelfast.com/brand/turms

I even brought the kit in the first picture here:

http://www.henrybucks.com.au/turms-kings-of-clean/

And check out their amazing shoe storage boxes:

https://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop/1519/wooden-shoe-rack

Good luck on their website though. They are a small family company and not quite there yet...

Last edited:

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately, I've never tried Saphir so I can't compare them. However, I love Burgol. It's sold at the leather shop I visit and I've been thrilled with it.

Dammit, its the other way round here. Will have to get my hands on Burgol and Famaco and do a shootout between the three.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Dammit, its the other way round here. Will have to get my hands on Burgol and Famaco and do a shootout between the three.

I've always been interested in trying Saphir and just found that I can get it from Germany for about €11 shipped. I may try it out once I get a bit low. If you have trouble finding Burgol, let me know and I can proxy some (Netherlands, right?).

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Since I last posted I have actually made very extensive testing of Burgol. We evaluated Saphir (which I have used for several years), Burgol, Turms and Lincoln before we opened up our shop in October 2012. Our conclusion was (and is) that Saphir and Burgol are very similar in quality, but what won me over to Burgol was that it's easier to get a high shine with Burgol. The only draw back with Burgol as a brand is that they don't have a product similar to Saphir Reno. We carry a limited Burgol range in our web shop: http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/collections/burgol . There are also other Burgol retailers online, especially in Germany, that carries their full range. Like these guys: http://www.shoepassion.com/

Last edited:

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

burgol has that sole oil for sole treatment.  have you tested that?

p.s., saphir reno is way overrated...

Yes I have tried the leather sole oil and I use it a lot as a quick fix for soles instead of edge dressing. Works really good. We sell loads of it in the store.

Off topic: I've ordered some Bickmore BICK4 to use instead of Reno. The good thing with Reno is that it gives a bit of a quick shine. BICK 4 does not have that effect, but I like the fact that you can apply it on a polished area and it won't ruin the shine. Overall I think BICK 4 seems to treat the leather better but it's a little too soon to provide a final verdict.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member