• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Built an exotic hardwood nightstand

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice work. What kind of wood are the legs made of? Assuming "legs" is the correct term for a table, that is. That is a very unique/exotic looking wood grain.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Veneer.....No thanks.

If you develop the skill set, veneer gives you the option of using scarce materials, burls, crotches, etc that arent available or are unrealistic to use as stock material. I'm not talking about saving money by using oak veneer on a particle board substrate.

You dismiss the idea but a better use of that macassar stock would have been to resaw to 1/16 veneer, apply to the drawfront and band the edges of the drawer with the grain running perpendicular to the face.

You are also going to run into problems since you *********** top to the rails. Pocketholes are garbage. Don't get in the habit of using them. Instead put some small blocks on the inside of the rails with elongated holes that allow for wood movement (which really does happen, believe me).

DL

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
You are also going to run into problems since you *********** top to the rails. Pocketholes are garbage. Don't get in the habit of using them. Instead put some small blocks on the inside of the rails with elongated holes that allow for wood movement (which really does happen, believe me). DL
I appreciate the advice, but i didnt pocket screw the panel, they're pocket dowels. The side panels are secured simply by way of sliding dovetail interlocking with the legs, and the front is secured by sliding dovetail locking the panels which hold the drawer into the top. I enjoyed the sliding dovetail simply because it provides a very accurate way to locate the side panels and allowed me to build about 1/32" clearance in the drawer slides.

Haemus

Reaction score
PICT0188.jpg

MaÃ
00ae.png
tre EbÃ
00a9.png
niste sans doute.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice work.
I thought those round woodden plugs on legs are screw covers. I guess they are not , just a decorative element?
Interested in making tiger oak or bird's eye birch humidor?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really beautiful. I also love cocobolo. Please show us the bed when it's done.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, love it.
I can not see why anyone would criticize the style, its as plain and simple as it can get!
I very much appreciate your skill.
My little brother make pieces like this, he trained at a wooden boat building school for 3 years and learned how to make furniture with out the use of screws.
Bravo.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn Skinny, that's pretty impressive looking work. Those joints look very solid. Well done. Between this and the automobile, you are quite the rennaissance man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads