• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building Wedding (Stroller), fabric opinions

pfr0g

Reaction score
My wedding is upcoming September 1st this year. Finding a Tuxedo to wear brought me to this site many months ago. Sator has been instrumental in helping me along the way and has communicated with me in several PM's over the months. I thank all of you for the knowledge you share on this site, it has all helped me build my wardrobe and what will be my wedding outfit.

So here are some pics. Suit is a 3 piece 2 Button Peak Lapel (RLPL). It fits fairly well for OTR and I am going to have my tailor clean it up a bit. Tie, I am having customed made by Italo Ferretti (tie worn in pics is a Brioni).

I needed some opinions on 2 things.

1: The pant fabric and possible maker in NYC that does CMT

I picked up a 9oz super 150's fabric that has a great sheen (I wanted this for the pant). I wanted some opinions to see if the contrast worked, are the strips bold enough for the stroller look?

Recommendations I see frequently on this site for CMT are Dario Radrigaze, Mr. Ned. Any other suggestions for pants? My tailor charges 350 for CMT I trust them for alterations but never tried their Bespoke. I want to keep the cost under 500 for the work itself since I sourced the fabric already. I know Dario is known to copy trousers well but how well does he do when he has to make and cut the pattern from measurements? Many have suggested Oxxford for MTM pants, do they happen to do CMT? (I doubt it)

2: Thoughts on the vest that came with the suit (pictured below). I think that the dove grey may aid in the overall look. Any thoughts on the suit vest? I found several fabrics for the vest also. Any suggestions on where to get that made?

Close up of pant fabric

closeupfabriczf2.jpg

Full shot with camera flash. I am trying to decided if I should wear the vest from the 3 piece suit or get a dove grey one made (from suiting fabric not silk).

fullflashwvest01hy3.jpg

Possible fabric for the vest. Sorry for the flipped images.

closevestfabricvr2.jpg

Full shot with no camera flash.

fullnoflashdx9.jpg

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would get a contrasting vest in buff or light grey. My concern with the pants fabric is that it's so close to the color of the suit jacket that it might risk looking like you mismatched your pants on your wedding day. But I'm sure the stroller experts on AAAC have more to add, if they haven't already.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Definitely get a lighter vest. It looks a bit too somber for a wedding otherwise -- a bit funereal. I would also get a brighter tie, something with a lighter ground.

Sadly, Dario has been ill and is no longer able to take outside orders. You might try L&S. He has "dibs" on Dario's limited time these days, I hear. He may also have another trouser maker that he uses. I believe he charges $200. Beckenstein's also has a trouser maker. It's not top quality -- nearly all machine sewing -- but a bit cheaper.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My feeling was that the matching charcoal grey waistcoat was fine. I wore my stroller to work the other day and felt that I wished I had a matching waistcoat, as the dove grey one I had on did made me look like I had just come from a wedding. A matching black coat and W-C certainly does look a bit funereal but is less of a problem with charcoal.

Neither Wiston Churcill nor Captain Peacock looked funereal in their matching coat and W-C:

evileye.jpg

Churchill.jpg

You can argue, of course, that Churchill is in diplomatic dress where the more formal matching W-C is preferred.

Of course, I do agree that a lighter coloured (preferably DBPL) W-C does looks marginally better suited to a wedding. Overall I think it more a question of taste and it is not absolutely necessary to have an additional buff or dove grey W-C made if you already have one of matching material.

pfr0g

Reaction score
Thanks all. I am definitely leaning towards a dove grey waistcoat. The pants from a distance may very well just look like I paired it with an odd trouser instead of an intended look. I think that I may search out one with a bolder pattern and lighter base color.

Manton: I am not wearing that tie. I am having an Italo Feretti made up in a white/grey/platinum strip fabric. And thats too bad to hear that Dario has been Ill. Thanks for the input.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads