• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

baronbvp

Reaction score
Good point. But I want something fully canvased and of high quality, with pen pockets and everything. Still, I have never been to a Suit Supply, and now that they have one in DC, I should go check it out for myself.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First time poster, long time lurker. My biggest frustration with the Milano is that BB doesn't offer it in suit separates. I would try Suit Supply, but again they don't offer separates that fit me. In a perfect world, I wear a 43R jacket and 34S trouser, so separates are a must for me if I buy off the rack - hence my (boxy) JAB Signature Gold Separates. 

I have OTR slim-fit fused suits from Macy's, the Alfani Red, and I like them. My Alfani Red fit is a 42R jacket (a little tight when I wash my hands) with a 33 flat-front trouser with a short rise. I tailored the cuffs on the jacket and pants and they fit very well. However, they are inexpensive suits made in India (and one in China) and they won't hold up over time, I don't think. So, I am going to take my best fitting Alfani Red to an MTM guy and get a quality fully-canvased suit that fits me like the suit I already own.

Has anyone else thought of doing something similar if BB and SS aren't quite offering what you need?

doesn't brooks brothers also have a MTM program? Should be easy - tell them the milano jacket size and pants size and say "recreate this"?

baronbvp

Reaction score
Good question, I'll have to find out. In my experience, anything outside BB's usual processes (helping you with an OTR Regent) can cause them to be a bit balky. But I haven't asked that question, so I will.

urgo

Reaction score
For what it's worth, Brooks Brothers 1818 sportcoats are now being made in China. I just experienced this unfortunate circumstance upon delivery of my latest website order.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Brooks Brothers 1818 sportcoats are now being made in China. I just experienced this unfortunate circumstance upon delivery of my latest website order.
Some of their sportcoats are made in Asia, but they typically have a cheaper price tag. Most of the 1818 sportcoats I've looked at have been made in the U.S. or Italy.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one I got had a regular price of $495. It's half-canvassed.
Sounds about right for the price point I was talking about. I got a made in Thailand blazer a few years ago that was half canvassed and had a regular price of $450 or so (got it on sale for $225 or so). While the descriptions for the nicer jackets on the website do not seem to say where they are made, I would be surprised if BB stopped making the majority of its 1818 level sportcoats at Lardini and Southwick.

VaughanNYC

Reaction score
The biggest difference between the two is quality.

I regularly buy the higher quality, better fitting BB shirts, $120+. These Brooks Brothers shirts in my opinion are the best possible dress shirts the working man can wear. They are highly durable, non-iron, well designed and readily available. Combine that with the customer service I get for returns or issues at Brooks Brothers, I rank it up there with the experience with Nordstrom.

Conversely, I have come to realize that Suitsupply is all flash and no substance. The shirts are low quality material. The experience in store is needlessly condescending and rushed. I have no desire to be looked down upon someone who earns 1/15th of what I do, and will just walk out the door to someone who is enjoyable to shop with. The shirts I purchased I have worn just a few times, and probably wont wear again. The material is so thin and delicate, I am afraid to wear it. And this is their premium shirt. What I have found with Suitsupply is low quality clothing and shopping experience, even though it "looks" premium. And that is their strategy, marketing, image and supposed disruption.

In conclusion, I only go to Brooks Brothers for these shirts. In the office for dress and casual for me its an amalgamation of Sean, RRL, Brooks Brothers, Cole Haan, Paul Stuart, Aether, Mizzen and Main & assorted vintage. I work in advertising on the account side, I have to dress nice, but can be creative. I tried Suitsupply on a whim as I was won over by the flash, but I didnt feel the burning on my feet.

Last edited:

1986Music

Reaction score
I refuse to purchase SuitSupply due to their slutty ad campaigns. Besides my obvious moral opposition, do you really need photos of bare-chested women and near-fornication in order to sling your clothes? Not to mention the Made in China thing. Give me a break.

Just FYI, Gilt presently has 1818 Italian-made Fitzgeralds in a tasteful (by my measure) navy shadow stripe for $535 with coupon. Pretty good price for the quality if the fit is on for you.

Last edited:

DCTieGuy

Reaction score
I don't believe that Chinese production is even close to the quality of American, Italian, English, etc., but also because of political reasons and because I don't believe in "designer" brands.
You should stay away from Suiting Essentials, in my opinion.

The 1818 suits are on sale now for $500 on the clearance page, and many sizes are available, so I think that is unfair that you list them at a higher price. You may assume the 2 for $750 if you want, though.

For what it's worth, I can have a full-canvas suit made to measure by H. Freeman in Maryland for $800 or so. You may find a place that uses Southwick, Hickey Freeman, etc. for a similar price.
@unclesam099 Where in Maryland do you have your made to measure H. Freeman made? I'm in the DC area and might be worth a try.

unclesam099

Reaction score

@unclesam099
 Where in Maryland do you have your made to measure H. Freeman made?  I'm in the DC area and might be worth a try.

I am near Philadelphia, but you can find a local menswear shop that carries them.

CMR16

Reaction score
I may be a little late to the party but I felt like giving my 2 cents that no one asked for. I have one 1818 Regent made in Italy and 2 Suit Supply suits -- with many trousers from Suit Supply (mostly flannel) and additional suits from other makers. I work in Wealth Management (securities; stocks, etc) and that requires me to have to wear a suit every day, which means that even with a solid rotation they get plenty of wear. Every suit or trouser I have I've yet to question the quality of them; regardless if it was made in China or Italy. I'm less of a suit snob than a shoe snob in that regard. I love Suit Supply -- especially their flannels -- but the 1818 is a fine suit, however.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads