• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Suit Alterations

boo1234

Reaction score
I purchased a BB fitzgerald on October 18, the day they had the 30% corporate discount going. The store did not have my size, so they ordered it and had it shipped to the store. It arrived on the 29th and the sales associate there called me to let me know they would start the alterations. I thought it would take a couple of days max, so I did not ask for a time frame as to when it would be done. Now a week later, I am wondering if I should call or is this normally how long it takes?

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the delivery information section of their site:

"Please note that delivery of merchandise that has been reordered or requires alterations, monogramming, or personalization will take approximately two additional weeks."

boo1234

Reaction score

In the amount of time it took you to log on to SF and create this thread you could have called the store to find out the exact answer.

In the amount of time it took you to read this thread and post that stupid remark, you could have just hit the back button and ignored.

duggyald

Reaction score
When it comes to online purchases, I always follow up via email or call the hotline - feel free to nag them if you want to there's no harm in following up plus that's what their customer service is for.

Roger Everett

Reaction score
After reading your post, I couldn't help but wondering about the alterations. How could they do the alterations, for the best fit, without you going in for the fit and marking. I understand they could have your measurements on hand, but no matter how carefully the factory makes suits, there can be slight deviations from one to another even of the same pattern.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After reading your post, I couldn't help but wondering about the alterations. How could they do the alterations, for the best fit, without you going in for the fit and marking. I understand they could have your measurements on hand, but no matter how carefully the factory makes suits, there can be slight deviations from one to another even of the same pattern.
I assume they measured him in a different jacket that was the correct size and then entered the alterations into the computer.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the amount of time it took you to log on to SF and create this thread you could have called the store to find out the exact answer.

THIS^^^ He'll post a comment 3 days from now along the lines of, "So, I called the store today, and they told me that my suit shipped this morning."

In the amount of time it took you to read this thread and post that stupid remark, you could have just hit the back button and ignored.
Someone's butt-hurt by the truth. No need for the snark.

That's all well and good, but he was going to buy a Brooks Brothers OTR. The "best fit" probably isn't his main concern. He's going to need future alterations anyway.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's all well and good, but he was going to buy a Brooks Brothers OTR. The "best fit" probably isn't his main concern. He's going to need future alterations anyway.

I have two BB GF suits that were OTR that fit very well. However, I had them tailored in the store and one of them is actually back there now three years later for some adjustments. Not everything OTR is crap.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have two BB GF suits that were OTR that fit very well. However, I had them tailored in the store and one of them is actually back there now three years later for some adjustments. Not everything OTR is crap.

Well, you're one lucky s.o.b. I didn't say that everything OTR is crap (though I believe that most of it is crap compared to the price). I simply pointed out that the above poster was going too far with his concerns about "best fit" BECAUSE a person who's buying OTR doesn't expect the type of results that come from in-person fittings.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to piggyback on to this thread, can pants that were previously hemmed by lengthened? I'd like to lengthen my Regent suit pants by an inch.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I purchased a BB fitzgerald on October 18, the day they had the 30% corporate discount going. The store did not have my size, so they ordered it and had it shipped to the store. It arrived on the 29th and the sales associate there called me to let me know they would start the alterations. I thought it would take a couple of days max, so I did not ask for a time frame as to when it would be done. Now a week later, I am wondering if I should call or is this normally how long it takes?

I think they farm some alterations out to local seamsters/seamstresses, so it will depend on the workload of the people they are farming it out to.

I bought a suit over the summer and the turnaround on the alterations was quoted at two weeks.

Just to piggyback on to this thread, can pants that were previously hemmed by lengthened? I'd like to lengthen my Regent suit pants by an inch.

I think it depends on how much fabric they saved in the leg. I think you could probably get it let out an inch in most circumstances though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads