• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

iherald

Reaction score
Here is my new briefcase from The Sawyer Briefcase Co. I didn't want straps, so we found a nice latch to close it. My only quibble with it is that the business card holder doesn't fit my business cards! It's just slightly too smal!! But otherwise it was great.

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^nice case. Only thing with these types of cases are the inward bend on the leather on the front part of briefcase.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice berluti just got a new one as well when i sold my box calf sac a depeche (still have my pebbled grain one)

Brandeis

Reaction score
The Frank Clegg English Briefcase fits your bill. It is as classic as can be, highest quality, and looks good carrying a little, or overstuffed.

Septimus

Reaction score
Here is my new briefcase from The Sawyer Briefcase Co. I didn't want straps, so we found a nice latch to close it. My only quibble with it is that the business card holder doesn't fit my business cards! It's just slightly too smal!! But otherwise it was great.

Looks great. What's your opinion of the leather and craftsmanship from Sawyer? And, were they easy to work with about customizing?

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've found this. Is there any way to fix this?

Not really. It could get fixed in next 5-10 years of heavy use . Some makers uses board to prevent this form happening at the first place.The maker could fold 2 pieces of leather and then stitch from the inside of the case. But that would involve a lot more work and time.

Last edited:

iherald

Reaction score

Looks great.  What's your opinion of the leather and craftsmanship from Sawyer?  And, were they easy to work with about customizing?

I'm not that knowledgeable about leathers and the like. But, from my untrained eye, the leather is good quality, the dye is perfect. The hand stitching is beautiful. My only issue is that the business card holder is a little small, but it's possible my cards are a little big.

As for customizing, it was very easy. He now has a document with all the options you can have, and you just pick what you'd like (colour, size, compartments, etc) and then I went further and didn't want straps. So we spent a lot of time finding the latch I liked. He made a few suggestions and they weren't my style, so he sent me a catalogue and I was able to pick the latch that I wanted.

I highly recommend them!

sinfjotli

Reaction score
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boconi-...extualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=0

Thinking of getting this bag, anyone have thoughts. This would be my first ever bag purchase. My price range is 300-400max euro. I need it to hold a 15in laptop. Other recommendations welcome.
The bag you posted looks nice, although it is always hard to judge the quality without seeing the bag in person. Also, I am not sure if I like the mixed flap/zip style, but that is just personal opinion. For other options, you can take a look at

- for something more widely available, you can always take a look at Coach, although they are made in China, the quality is decent IMHO
- Custom Hide leather has a good reputation here - although the only zip top model I see might be very big.
- the bag that Linkson Jack now offers looks also nice, and is within your price range
- Epaulet (forum affiliate) used to offer a nice briefcase in burgundy from Canada, but now they only seem to have it in black

If you are willing to stretch your budget a bit/save a bit longer, I can't say enough good things about my own bag from Lotuff Leather (see also my post above) - the leather quality is definitely step above Coach messenger bag I used to have before, and I find the design really practical. The two side pockets are great for quickly putting in things on the go, as they are very spacious.

One thing you need to consider though, if you are in Europe, is shipping and customs - if you order a bag from the US, this might easily inflate the price by 10-20%, and it is not so easy to return the bag if you don't like it.

vm1336

Reaction score

Henry Tomkins Essential briefcase in light brown. I added the shoulder strap (not shown), but otherwise stock. Very nice piece and only 210 GBP including shipping to the US.

EDIT: I forgot to say sorry for the crappy low light iPhone pic.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics