• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

takashi78

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone here had any suggestions. I currently have a Clegg briefcase and I like it, but its design doesn't match my current needs. With all of its compartments, it is great for organizing papers, a computer, and other small things, but that's not what I need right now. I am looking for a briefcase with a bigger compartment. I want to be able to carry a packed lunch, a water bottle, a computer, a book, and maybe some other smaller things. I don't need a separate compartment for the computer. One big compartment would be good. Surprisingly, I can't really seem to find anything that matches my needs. I don't want anything as big as a duffle (I want a bag that is easy to carry) and I want something that closes fully on top so things don't fall out, rain doesn't get in, and pickpockets can't reach in (so not most totes; I am also not a huge fan of the tote look).

Does anyone here have suggestions? I am at something of a loss here.

I have seen some stuff from Acate that looks nice, but most stores only seem to have strange colors in stock right now and I'm not sure I want to spend 1,500+ on a bag unless I really love it. (Also don't know what Acate's reputation is.) Perhaps just thinking about asking Clegg to make a briefcase with less stuff inside, but not sure whether they can accommodate that request right now and not sure how much extra they charge for special requests.

I would recommend Glaser Designs, i have 2 of their briefcase.
High customizable.

You can do on a video call with them, ask them to prepare the items you would normally carry, and they will show you how those will fit inside certain model of bags they offer.
Genuinely nice people.

However one thing i would say is their stitch and finishing might not be as refined as some of the names mentioned here though.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Does anyone here know what the quality is like on Thomas Riemer bags? Also Cavour's house brand? Both look pretty nice, but I have no clue what the quality is supposed to be like.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Yum. Those are spectacular, particularly down to the grain not being lasted out. Love them

Charlie

Maybe the first time I've even mildly disagreed with you on this sort of thing – but I actually *like* it when the grain is lasted out around the toe/heel! :hide:

Dom+master+30.jpg

Pretty fantastic work from Dominic Casey there.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Maybe the first time I've even mildly disagreed with you on this sort of thing – but I actually *like* it when the grain is lasted out around the toe/heel! :hide:

Dom+master+30.jpg

Pretty fantastic work from Dominic Casey there.

No, at risk of being boring, I can see where you're coming from, particularly about the toe, you can get a lovely burnish when the leather is a bit smoother. I guess its nice to see because its hard not to last it out. Maybe the split toe is different, showing my shoe making ignorance!

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, at risk of being boring, I can see where you're coming from, particularly about the toe, you can get a lovely burnish when the leather is a bit smoother. I guess its nice to see because its hard not to last it out. Maybe the split toe is different, showing my shoe making ignorance!
Interesting - I suppose it’s possible the split provides a bit of extra “give.” That said, I’ve certainly seen split toes with the grain lasted out.
Either way, I’m very pleased with this pair - Carmina did a great job!

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Equus Leather (or anyone else) have pictures of a Equus briefcase in London Tan with some use/patina on it?

I havent Im afraid, maybe someone else can chip in with a photo?

The London Tan eventually ages to mid brown, very satisfyingly. It will take a long time to do it, but has a very pleasing patination characteristic as do all the full grain oak bark leathers from Bakers

Charlie

jbc247

Reaction score
I would recommend Glaser Designs, i have 2 of their briefcase.
High customizable.

You can do on a video call with them, ask them to prepare the items you would normally carry, and they will show you how those will fit inside certain model of bags they offer.
Genuinely nice people.

However one thing i would say is their stitch and finishing might not be as refined as some of the names mentioned here though.

Do you have anything small?
I have their deal bag and I love to look at it but it’s just too big to carry.

MPS

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a new member. Just happened to be browsing the various threads when I saw this. Thought I should chime in about my experience with Rutherfords too.

I ordered a custom music bag from them in 2016. Didn't receive anything. Each time I called they would give me different reasons for the delay (e.g. busy trying to handle bigger orders from Japan, theft in the workshop, owner fell ill). Eventually, they agreed to refund me my deposit, which was half the total cost, in late 2018. But the money never reached me despite them claiming that they have completed the refund process. After a few emails they just went MIA completely. I would caution people against ordering from them in case the same problem happens.

I've had a similar experience. Ordered a briefcase over a year ago. Enquired after a couple of months regarding its progress and each time the excuses have mirrored those described above, albeit with COVID thrown in. I would steer clear of Rutherford's.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads