• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hah

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow. Wow.

This looks great. Would love to see a before pic to see how far you took it. Regardless, she's a beaut!

Just finished restoring a really old briefcase. It has developed quite the patina over the years.

woolymammoth

Reaction score
I have a Berluti Un Jour (Cacao), a now discontinued configuration. I am considering a Un Jour mini in Nero; does anyone have experience with the aging of the Nero color, pictures appreciated.

qw123.jpg

leetpuma

Reaction score
Hey guys I had a question about briefcase protection.

I have 2 issues:
1) Wear on bottom of case.

2) Wear on edges of case.

I have been using this case for 1-2 months being VERY careful with it but through regular daily use. I am very careful to never let it drag on the ground when picking it up.

If this level of wear keeps up I am not sure it will last for more than a couple of years...

Has anyone added protective coatings to their cases?
Extra layer of removable leather at the bottom? (e.g. getting some leather + color + rubber cement and putting on the bottom where rub points are.)
Metal corners?

If anyone knows about these things please let me know!

Thanks.

For future reference this is an Custom hide case (pretty high quality).

Last edited:

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If this level of wear keeps up I am not sure it will last for more than a couple of years...

If anyone knows about these things please let me know!

Thanks.

For future reference this is an Custom hide case (pretty high quality).

The hardware on that bag doesn't look great quality, but even so I'm surprised at the level of wear compared to your description of how you look after it. If it's not contacting with anything, what's causing the wear?

Condition and polish it regularly - this won't stop it getting scuffed, but will turn scuffs into patina.

Also, consider getting some metal studs put on the bottom (if not already fitted) to lift it off the ground a bit.

Finally, it seems to be getting scuffed on the front pocket. Be careful how you load it, to stop it falling forward and getting scraped on areas where it's not realistic to add protection.

leetpuma

Reaction score
The hardware on that bag doesn't look great quality, but even so I'm surprised at the level of wear compared to your description of how you look after it. If it's not contacting with anything, what's causing the wear?

Condition and polish it regularly - this won't stop it getting scuffed, but will turn scuffs into patina.

Also, consider getting some metal studs put on the bottom (if not already fitted) to lift it off the ground a bit.

Finally, it seems to be getting scuffed on the front pocket. Be careful how you load it, to stop it falling forward and getting scraped on areas where it's not realistic to add protection.

Thanks for the reply!

The hardware is nothing to write home about. But it is solid brass. The leather weight is about 8/7oz-3mm thick and is heavy-oiled/pull-up/latigo cowhide.

The wear on the bottom comes from the fact that this is a soft case/messenger and so that point on the bottom hits the ground before the rest of the bag. (If a laptop is put into it the makes the bottom bend downward as there is no hard support holding the bag together.)

I believe the wear on the corners are more from it hitting my leg while walking.

That idea for adding studs on the bottom seems really interesting. And would still keep the aesthetic of the bag. Do you have any pics of this?(Ill go to the leatherwork store and find some that look nice)

I actually don't mind scuffs (I love the patina look) I just don't want scuffs on the bottom to destroy the structural integrity of the bag before the rest of the bag breaks down.

I have conditioned it with lexol once every 2 weeks since I got it. I have never actually used polish on it. Is polish (Wax based) something that you think is integral to the care? I guess it might help with protection, against rain, but I always thought it would dry out the leather. I also hear from the shoe folks that 1-2 twice a year you have to use some of the wax cleaning stuff to give it a proper conditioning treatment otherwise the wax will stop the conditioner.

Last edited:

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
This is more Roll-On Suitcase Appreciation than Briefcase Appreciation so I apologise in advance but it's pretty cool so I thought you may want to see it.

Berluti Formule 1000 in Scritto

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Beautiful, but it would kill me to see the wear and tear accumulate on it. Even as a carry on, travel has a way of heaping abuse upon things ... they created ballistic nylon for a reason :)

Still, congrats!

This is more Roll-On Suitcase Appreciation than Briefcase Appreciation so I apologise in advance but it's pretty cool so I thought you may want to see it.

Berluti Formule 1000 in Scritto

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score

Beautiful, but it would kill me to see the wear and tear accumulate on it. Even as a carry on, travel has a way of heaping abuse upon things ... they created ballistic nylon for a reason :)

Still, congrats!

I know.

It already has been scratched from me trying to get it into overhead lockers. It shattered me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads