• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands that Covid killed

djohns7275

Reaction score
I remember reading Jack Welch's book called Winning . In it he stated that when he ran G E all the businesses had to be either number one or number two in their field as when hard times came only the two dominate players in any sector are guaranteed to survive. Covid has killed off many of the peripheral footwear and clothing brands that were barley hanging on to start with .

Here in the UK Alfred Sargent went bust and all the remaining stock was subsequently sold on Ebay . Foster & son closed their Jermyn street shop and now only do bespoke . T & M Lewin closed all their stores and now only sell online . Wensum who years earlier had closed their factory in Norwich and moved it to Mauritius finally went bankrupt . The company that owned the Chester Barrie Savile row store closed it .The company that made the Chester Barrie Savile row suits and the ready made suits for Huntsman and Richard Anderson was called Lutwyche ,who also made suits under the brand name Lutwyche also went bust . If anybody is interested in the Lutwyche suits there are a couple of hundred of them on Ebay at the moment .

The department store House of Fraser also went bust . Up and down the high street I see bordered up shops the high street will never be the same . Even in Kesington high street about 20% of the shops are empty .

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though I have a feeling it was on its way out anyway, I’d argue Brooks Brothers being another.

What I’m more impressed with is what Covid DIDN’T kill off. So many brands like Tom Ford have survived even though the need for tailored clothing took such a nose dive.

djohns7275

Reaction score
Though I have a feeling it was on its way out anyway, I’d argue Brooks Brothers being another.

What I’m more impressed with is what Covid DIDN’T kill off. So many brands like Tom Ford have survived even though the need for tailored clothing took such a nose dive.
Yes but Tom Ford probably isn't that bothered about his clothing sales I think he like a lot of other designer brands aren't really in the business of selling clothing . They are perfume and cosmetic companies who merely use clothing to sell frangrances at a huge mark up .

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes but Tom Ford probably isn't that bothered about his clothing sales I think he like a lot of other designer brands aren't really in the business of selling clothing . They are perfume and cosmetic companies who merely use clothing to sell frangrances at a huge mark up .

Was just coming to post this i.e that TF's bread and butter are the scents and make-up

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
IMO, lots of brands blamed their bankruptcy on COVID, but they were on their way to bankruptcy well before COVID because of structural issues. J. Crew, Brooks Brothers, Men's Warehouse, etc.
That's kind of implicit in the OP, though: if you're not in a dominant position (which includes some level of financial stability), you're at much higher risk of failure if there's a Black Swan event. Which isn't all that interesting of an observation, but does lead one to ask what else was/is necessary to thrive in these conditions.

The two organizations that I'm most closely connected to, my tech industry employer and my volunteer non profit, have both thrived during COVID, putting up their best numbers ever.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's kind of implicit in the OP, though: if you're not in a dominant position (which includes some level of financial stability), you're at much higher risk of failure if there's a Black Swan event. Which isn't all that interesting of an observation, but does lead one to ask what else was/is necessary to thrive in these conditions.

I suppose it depends on what someone means by "dominant position." Many of the smaller companies in menswear survived because they're flexible and have relatively low overhead.

djohns7275

Reaction score
IMO, lots of brands blamed their bankruptcy on COVID, but they were on their way to bankruptcy well before COVID because of structural issues. J. Crew, Brooks Brothers, Men's Warehouse, etc.
I think your right it just quickened their demise . Many time I hear that a brand has gone bankrupt and I think to myself '' I didn't even know they were still in business ''

Knurt

Reaction score
The nature of business is ebb and flo, operations at the brink of failure. When hit by a major downturn some frail but promising ventures are cut down. Walked through the Bond Street area in London a couple of days ago and saw a lot of empty shop spaces previously occupied by well-known brands.

Jax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bankruptcy also didn't kill those brands. They are still around.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bankruptcy also didn't kill those brands. They are still around.

That's true. There are also some companies that went under because they had internal problems, but then they just start up again using a different name and pretend nothing happened.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads