• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Braces/Suspenders

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to see more braces/suspenders in fashion magazines and the web and I'm curious how many guys on SF wear them on a regular basis? I bought several pairs of flannel pants that I had to take to the tailor and I told him to add brace/suspender buttons. I have 1 pair of leather RL braces but would like to buy a couple more, any suggestions?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Albert Thurston, sized braces. I get them from Will at A Suitable Wardrobe.

Trafalgar carries whimsical, limited edition ones; but they are one-size-fits-all.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are going to do it properly, have all the belt hoops removed from the pants. No need for a belt when wearing braces. Also, buttoned braces are the only real braces. Clip-on braces are costume and should be avoided unless you are wearing them casual.

LeviMay

Reaction score
I just started having my suits made with brace-enabled trousers, and don't think I'll be going back. Not pulling up your pants throughout the day is great, and having them up over, rather than on or under, one's belly is way more comfortable.

Wolfador

Reaction score

If you are going to do it properly, have all the belt hoops removed from the pants. No need for a belt when wearing braces. Also, buttoned braces are the only real braces. Clip-on braces are costume and should be avoided unless you are wearing them casual.

I have some of my suits with suspenders buttons and belt loops. If I feel I will remove my jacket during the day I will just wear a belt. If I know the jacket won't come off I will wear the suspenders.

div25sec9

Reaction score

I just started having my suits made with brace-enabled trousers, and don't think I'll be going back. Not pulling up your pants throughout the day is great, and having them up over, rather than on or under, one's belly is way more comfortable.

This is the image that I have associated with braces / supenders; that of a guy needing them to keep his pants up because of his stomach. I find the do not look very good; so for a person that has no need for them; I cannot find a real reason to want to wear them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads