• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowler hat with Tux... Yey or Nay?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
OK, I'll be an ass: A top (cylinder) hat of any type should only be worn with a tailcoat, either white tie or a morning coat. Those are the Rules, as Manton states. If following sartorial tradition is of any consideration (and it doesn't have to be, of course), wearing a top hat with blackt tie is entirely wrong. IMO, it also looks odd and unbalanced.
What about with a red jacket, yellow shirt, black spotted cravat, white gloves and monocle?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
What about with a red jacket, yellow shirt, black spotted cravat, white gloves and monocle?
Well, as long as it's a tailcoat...
smile.gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
A top (cylinder) hat of any type should only be worn with a tailcoat, either white tie or a morning coat. Those are the Rules

If following sartorial tradition is of any consideration (and it doesn't have to be, of course), wearing a top hat with blackt tie is entirely wrong. IMO, it also looks odd and unbalanced.

This was published in 1902 in a journal called Fashion which at the time in England was considered the last word in men's dress. Black tie is what they call "informal dinner clothes":

fashiondresschart1902gs3.jpg

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
This was published in 1902 in a journal called Fashion which at the time in England was considered the last word in men's dress. Black tie is what they call "informal dinner clothes"
Mmm, OK, but it's still looks odd, I think. I've heard the rule about top hats with tailcoats only described as a categorical imperative, more or less.

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Sator said:
This was published in 1902 in a journal called Fashion which at the time in England was considered the last word in men's dress. Black tie is what they call "informal dinner clothes":

Thank you for the dress chart. I am of the understanding that Davy Crockett's true hat was not a coonskin at all but a cylinder hat. I understand that in certain periods these hats were quite casual.

We recently purchased the old Danbury hat works out and in that collection was a top hat of natural undyed beaver. It was anything but formal and actually had some vent eyelets in it but I have since learned these too was common in some toppers. This hat must have been passed down from the late 1700's I would think and surely was not part of the original hat shop. I have only seen one other like it and it was dated in the 1700's with documentation.

Topper

Reaction score
Toppers go with tails,
teacha.gif

As previoulsy mentioned for correct "Style" it is pleasing to the eye the dress doen not over-balance, the height of the Topper matched the length of a tailcoat.

As to Black Tie, this is evening dinner jacket, and would entirely depend on the venue and the event. ( note one does not have a dinner suit, or a morning suit, merely Dinner Jacket, and Morning Tailcoat)

Is the event temperate eg Egypt, Queensland, Hot Florida, e.t.c. where by a White Dinner jacket woud be permissible, or otherwise by default a Black Dinner jacket.

If the Event is Opera, Embassy ball, Royal event, then technically it should be white tie, and hence would have Top hat.

If it is not White tie, and thus black tie then a Homburg, or a "Formal" Bowler ( higher crown, with flater top, not so rounded - Think Curchill or Odd-Job from the Bond movies!
plain.gif
) would be considered ok. But not a normal domed Bowler /Derby hat.
bigstar[1].gif

Pip Pip
Doug

p.s. Even so, one would only wear the hatr until you arrived with ones overcoat or cape, the take it on in the foyer. Would be very bad etiquette to wear it further inside.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting little chart. However, iirc, "Fashion" was in 1902 what "GQ" is today, and people here ***** and moan about GQ's, um, "progressive" views about men's dress. There are, in the chart, any number of things that are unconventional. For example, real sticklers would contend that wing collars are not suitable with an informal dinner jacket.

I personally enjoy playing with proportions, wearing a very fitted suit with a higher collar and a thick tie with a think knot, for example.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I personally enjoy playing with proportions, wearing a very fitted suit with a higher collar and a thick tie with a think knot, for example.
Karl? Is that you?
devil.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Karl? Is that you?
devil.gif

Yes, but with a finger on your personal Spamminate button, due to a veelly intelesting little glitch in that feature as implemented in StyleFORVM
smile.gif

Topper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
For example, real sticklers would contend that wing collars are not suitable with an informal dinner jacket.

I had that exact discussion with another chap last the other night. He was adament that the wing collar went only with white tie.... Not dinner Jacket for black tie - whilst i concur that sounds plausable, it does not mean that one must wear a wing exclusively with white tie ( also with morning dress and ascot cravat), One could also wear an Imperial high collar with White tie - One which has no wing or fold down.

Really fashions is dependant on Era, over a number of years within an Era a tradition may occur.... Protocol is often formed from people conforming to a tradition, to become convention. Thus whn people ask me about Dress codes what people really want to know is what is "Conventional" - Not being pompas a55
lol8[1].gif
mnerely informing of what 'was' done...

The thing is there are many traditions, and who to say which is more correct that another, though some traditions are have been around longer than others. Some when it the out, the back in to fashion!

One interesting new term is now HBT "Hollywood Black Tie"
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
where by people dress down, in Dark Suits, often no ties and dark shirts with double cuffs, without cufflinks! - cuffs folded outside the jacket sleve e.t.c. These people who do not follow convention. - Is this Style? or merely self-centred rich people wishing to show off.
boxing[1].gif

Whilst I would put HBT into the general backet of 'fashion' - personally I would not consider it to be 'stylish'.
rimshot.gif

The advantage of traditional black tie, was not to show off, but to show others around you how much you respect them being there. Not to turning up scruffy. Also it would put all chaps on the same playing field. You could be rich or just the 'average Joe' but when everyone conformed to the same dress code, it was then just left to personality and actions to differentated everyone.
blush.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well put, Topper...and welcome to the forum (I may be a little late on that one).

I would prefer no hat with black tie; then again, I'm not a hat guy anyway. If one were to wear a hat, I'd go with some of the others here and recommend the homburg. I don't think a bowler would be all that bad, but a homburg would probably work better. My own sartorial sense tells me that toppers are only for tailcoats or frock coats due to vertical balance issues: the length of the skirt/tails balances out the height of the topper, whereas this is not the case with a tuxedo.

Topper

Reaction score
Hi Thanks for the welcome!

For those who are wondering what I mean by a "formal bowler" there is a good picture of the great man himself Churchill wearing one here:

Woud consider it to be more permissible than the standard bowler to wear even if have black tie underneath - But once again only when outside travelling to an event with overcoat/cape.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stateside, the bowler is strictly costume--for mimes, SASS, if you are a re-enactor in "Old West Days"--something like that.

I would concur in the recommendation of a Homburg. I am pretty sure that a black or dark grey fedora is also acceptable with black tie, per vintatge Emily Post, Amy Vanderbilt or both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads