• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless they were asking STUPID prices....

They upcharged on other stuff (11% total tax rate, but even then I paid $90 for 1.75L of Weller 12 and $320 for a bottle of Kentucky Owl. For reference, I got two bottles of KY Owl at the store down the street for $220 each). But I'm fairly certain they only charged $100 on BTAC, which is less than what I paid at the store down the street.

CaesarSTL

Reaction score

Like every store in Manhattan?

A store by my apt has a 1L of weller special reserve on the top shelf for over $150.

Wow... I know they're cannibalizing the line, but is basic Weller that hard to get in NYC these a days?

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to buy mine over the phone so it wouldn't sell out before I got to my liquor store. And that's in Kentucky.

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
Wow... Just got the Weller Antq (not the BTAC one, the 53.5% one) back on the shelves over here. I only see it from time to time, guess I better start stocking up, great QPR on it!

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow... Just got the Weller Antq (not the BTAC one, the 53.5% one) back on the shelves over here. I only see it from time to time, guess I better start stocking up, great QPR on it!

Had that for the first time last Christmas … very good stuff! :)

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Weller Special reserve better than your standard Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark, and Knob Creek? It's cheaper and I'm almost finished my bottle of WL Weller 12, which is not available here anymore.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weller is a wheated bourbon, so fairly different than BT or Knob, both of which use rye. Makers is also wheated. "Better" is always in the eye of the beholder, but Weller is nice if you like wheated bourbons. It's too hard to find here, though, so I don't bother. Everyone knows it's the same mash bill as PVW and snap it up far faster than it's worth. Maker's is overpriced for what it is, but it's also a fine wheated bourbon if you're looking for that. And you can get it everywhere.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grabbed the Weller special reserve on my way home today and compared it to the Weller 12 that I have left. I'm not very sophisticated so I didn't notice a significant difference other than the 12 year had a. It more complexity and less of an alcohol bite, but other than that it was great. Should get another bottle- $40 CDN and they have 12 in stock.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did a little research on this today and it sounds interesting … considering I got 3 bottles for the price of one (about the same price as a bottle of Jack) it couldn't be terrible. :happy:
btw… Thank you Ralph's booze sales rack!

Re the above … my Weller was Old Weller 107 … not sure if that's the same, different, or same same but different.

Last edited:

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weller Special Reserve is their 90 proof entry-level offering. Inexpensive and great for making cocktails/mixing, but imo not ideal for drinking neat.
Old Weller Antique (107) is their higher proof offering, and supposed to be a shelf staple. Very good, especially for the retail price (mid $20s), but not the nectar of the gods. Still, very good. Before it was difficult to find, I'd always have a couple bottles on hand.
Weller 12 is their older 12 year 90 proof offering. Supposedly the highest end regular release from the label. Again, it's good, and for the retail price it's a great daily pour, but at the prices it commands nowadays on the secondary market, there are plenty of better things that are generally easier to find (Four Roses private selections, Russell's Reserve, etc.) and for less money.

William Larue Weller is the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection offering at barrel proof (60+%). It is a very limited release, released once a year, and pretty darn good. One of my favorite pours, but I will say that it isn't worth the price it commands on the secondary market.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's even expensive on regular release here- I only drink bourbon with coke or in a Manhattan/Old Fashioned. More of a scotch guy.

The way I figure, WL 12 isn't available at all here, I've never even seen Antique, so Special Reserve is a good compromise for $40. $4 more than Bullitt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads