• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
thanks! Hmmm, will give it some thought then. Might just be better off sticking to scotch in NYC and getting the standard 4RSB here.

LEVOOSH

Reaction score
Picked up 2 bottles of the Stagg Jr at the LCBO last night and 2 bottles of the 4RSB today.

I loved Stagg Sr. so much but cannot get my hands on it in the last 4 years. Looking forward to trying the Stagg Jr., if only for nostalgia.

Based on reviews I've read the second run is much better than the first 2014 release which was apparently awful.

sftiger

Reaction score
OWA and Boookers are my go to bourbons, the former neat and the latter in a Manhattan. Always available, never too expensive.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a few bottles of 4R SB at 25 € per bottle a few months ago and I'm loving it. Haven't tried the 4R SB CK yet but it's on my list.

I also enjoy Booker's a lot. Sadly, my bottle is almost empty.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up a bottle of Elmer T Lee Sour Mash, one of the selected barrels. It's quite good for a $25 bottle. Definitely a score if you see it. Nice mashbill with the rye in it, gives it some spice. There's no age listed but it's supposed to be 8-12 years and tastes it.

joelscott7

Reaction score
Picked up 2 bottles of the Stagg Jr at the LCBO last night and 2 bottles of the 4RSB today.

I loved Stagg Sr. so much but cannot get my hands on it in the last 4 years. Looking forward to trying the Stagg Jr., if only for nostalgia.

Based on reviews I've read the second run is much better than the first 2014 release which was apparently awful.
Let me know how you like the Stagg jr. I saw a bunch of bottles today, but the $85 they are asking for it makes we want to make sure it's worth 2 FRSB
I picked up a bottle of Elmer T Lee Sour Mash, one of the selected barrels. It's quite good for a $25 bottle. Definitely a score if you see it. Nice mashbill with the rye in it, gives it some spice. There's no age listed but it's supposed to be 8-12 years and tastes it.
I think it's the best value for the money. I really like it, but it's hard to come by here.

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think it's the best value for the money. I really like it, but it's hard to come by here.

I'm thinking about grabbing another bottle or two of the county selected bottling, and then another one of the regular bottling to compare. Might as well at this price. I usually get Buffalo Trace or Evan Williams Single barrel for my $25 bottle, but this kills those two (and they're not at all bad).

Doesn't excite passions the way the Staggs/Pappys/etc do, but hey, nice finding some remaining budget scores.

Tried to get some Birthday Bourbon today but it was all reserved. Bastards.

LEVOOSH

Reaction score
Just tried the stagg Jr. I drank it neat and found it excellent. Balanced despite the high abv with some great flavours.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I paid ~$101 for the van Winkle rye this week, but I had to go through the county lottery to get a chance to buy it. They were selling the 23 for $250, the 20 for $150, and the 15 for $80. I hate to think about how many lottery winners went right back out on the secondary market.

It's damn tempting though. People on Craigslist are offering $450 for the rye and you could probably get more. $350 profit is nothing to sneeze at, but the rye has been my unicorn and I'll never make myself pay 70/ounce at a bar so this is probably the best way.

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I paid ~$101 for the van Winkle rye this week, but I had to go through the county lottery to get a chance to buy it. They were selling the 23 for $250, the 20 for $150, and the 15 for $80. I hate to think about how many lottery winners went right back out on the secondary market.

It's damn tempting though. People on Craigslist are offering $450 for the rye and you could probably get more. $350 profit is nothing to sneeze at, but the rye has been my unicorn and I'll never make myself pay 70/ounce at a bar so this is probably the best way.

Rye is going for 550-600 secondary now. And to be honest, it may be worth it. It is one of the finest whiskeys out there. So refined, so lush. I don't buy into all the Pappy nonsense, if I can get it at retail I will, and sometimes I trade for other stuff, sometimes I drink, but that rye is knock your socks off good.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone knows of any good spots in MA to find some more unique Bourbons. Seems where I am its pretty much the basics. Knob Creek, Bulleit, Woodford, etc.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am curious if anyone knows of any good spots in MA to find some more unique Bourbons. Seems where I am its pretty much the basics. Knob Creek, Bulleit, Woodford, etc.

Federal wine on state st is my go to. Ask for Joe, he is the man

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads