• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I don't like liquefied candy you nincompoop.
I don't think it's fair to say Maker's isn't a very good liquor. As for being liquefied candy, I've just grabbed my nosing glass, gone to the bar and pulled Makers, Knob, and Woodford from stock and had a little taste test. Makers, not surprisingly, is the lightest of the three. I get roasted corn silk right upfront on the nose, then toffee, treacle and vanillin. This is repeated with water at 10%BV, and on the palate more of the same, definitely some vanilla creme caramel going on. It is sweet on the tongue, but this sense is synthetically heightened by the perception of sweetness given by our familiarity with the scents -- caramel is sweet, therefore, that which smells like caramel is sweet, even though that's not necessarily true. Woodford darn near takes your head off with organic solvents, Xylene, gasoline, ethylene, but with an undercurrent of floral and fruity notes. With water, it backs off to the lighter fractions -- overripe bananas, aldehydes and esters. On the palate it's surprisingly mild, given that nose, with gentle spice and something vaguely orangey, like an orange tobacco or somesuch. It's still sweet on the tip of the tongue, but it is not reinforced by the nose. The Knob is even heavier, but all heavy esters, not that dancing Xylene, and leather, and nutty wood in place of the fruit. On the palate it's more of the same, but with allspice and rum. Differences in sweetness on these is really subtle, and complicated my associations with the spirits' noses. I doubt if any are far off in terms of residual sugar -- to call it liquefied candy is the narcissism of a minor difference, though a case can be made around the noses. The surprise for me here is that while Woodford gives me the most of what I'm after, Makers is the most elegant of the three. Go figure. ~ Huntsman

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so you're saying makers isn't actually that much sweeter than the others, but we perceive it to be so because of the smell? interesting and very viable hypothesis

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
so you're saying makers isn't actually that much sweeter than the others, but we perceive it to be so because of the smell? interesting and very viable hypothesis

Mmm yes, indubidably old chap.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manhattan Maker's.
Old Fashioned Knob.
Straight up Scotch.

Personal preference.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like a lot of bourbons, so making a list would be kind of useless. I almost always drink it diluted with an equal amount of water to kill the alcohol burn. When I mix, though, I use cheaper bourbons, as I can't justify spending a fair amount of money on something whose flavors will later be marred or masked. My favorite of the cheap stuff is Ancient Age. Actually, it's pretty good on its own, too, far better than anything else in its price range.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
woodfords my go to, after that makers mark.

recently, in a steak house, they served me makers in a martini glass, shaken with ice. it was intersting - very cold, a little waters down, but all in all good. I ususally have a shot next to a beer.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to be a bigger bourbon fan than I am now. Scotch is much more interesting as a whiskey to me. Bourbon can be used better for mixed drinks for what it's worth.

hi-val

Reaction score
I'm fond recently of a little dash of bitters in my bourbon. Anyone else go for this as well?

Morgan

Reaction score
I picked up a bottle of Old Forrester recently and that stuff is terrific. Also, if you're in Virginia or Kentucky, and maybe a few nearby states, pick up a bottle of Ancient Age ten year old (not ten star). It's a cracking good whiskey at a bargain price. I think it's the same stuff they're now bottling as Buffalo Trace, but way cheaper.

Southern Beau

Reaction score
+1

I have been known to down the occasional Old Forrester. It is a staple at just about any SEC tailgate and does sip well with a splash of water.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Favorite bourbon? The one with alcohol.

I keep around Dickle #12 and Fighting Cock. Dickle is much sweeter, while the Cock is drier, stronger, and has a strong peppery rye flavor. I enjoy Maker's when out as an apperitif to a meal, since it's a sweet candyish drink available at most restaurants.

Morgan, Southern Beau - are ya'll drinking the base Forrester, or their more expensive offering?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads