• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bored on weekends, Need Help

tyates

Reaction score
I recently took a 3 year work assignment in DC. I'm busy during the weekdays but bored as hell during Friday and Saturday evenings. Yes, I admit I have no social life. The only friends I managed to make are some coworkers that are married and don't want anything to do with a single guy on weekends. I joined a health club and there are several meetup groups that I checked out but there is little to offer for making the most out of weekend evenings.

I do most of my work at home so when it comes to the weekends, I am dying to just get out of the house and have some fun. The problem is that I can find things to do during the day but can't find anything to do during the evenings. I'm not into the bar scene so that takes out most of what the nightlife has to offer. But I'm hopeful there is more out there other than this.

Any ideas on hobbies or activities that someone like myself can do on a Friday or Saturday evening?? I've thought about getting into a poker or bowling group but I don't know much about poker and I'm fairly sure I suck at bowling.

tyates

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Hang out with the President. I hear he's a nice guy. Maybe you can meet him at Five Guys or something.

I think he prefers Ray's Hell burgers to Five guys based on his last burger outing..

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Volunteer to walk dogs at a dog shelter. You get to walk dogs and meet girls.

What did you do for friends at your last posting?

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) During the week - Scan newspapers and weekly papers for events that will be happening on Weekend
2) Have a good restaurant or two in mind (one fun, one very good food)
3) Go to Tryst in Adams Morgan during the afternoon on Sat/Sun
4) Find some girl who is interesting & strike up a conversation about that book she is reading
5) Early in the conversation, drop that you are going to this "cool (insert type here) event" later, then drop it and continue conversation
6) Later in conversation, tell her "You should go with me to the (event name). Give me your number." (or just take her directly to the event). Dinner is optional - only if you really want to go there

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The easiest answer is that you should do what you like to do. What have you enjoyed doing with weekends in the past?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sniping? dc needs a new one.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does your college have any alumni associations active in DC? Definitely connect with them.

You could join a gym and get in on some pick-up basketball/racketball/tennis and meet people that way.

Meeting people requires some effort. Just chat up some people that you see often. Most of the friends Ive made in my adult life have just been people I bump into on a regular basis- people in my building, neighborhood and favorite book store.

Once you meet a few solid people, your contacts will expand exponentially as they introduce you to their circles. The first few friends in a new city are the toughest.

tyates

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
1) During the week - Scan newspapers and weekly papers for events that will be happening on Weekend
2) Have a good restaurant or two in mind (one fun, one very good food)
3) Go to Tryst in Adams Morgan during the afternoon on Sat/Sun
4) Find some girl who is interesting & strike up a conversation about that book she is reading
5) Early in the conversation, drop that you are going to this "cool (insert type here) event" later, then drop it and continue conversation
6) Later in conversation, tell her "You should go with me to the (event name). Give me your number." (or just take her directly to the event). Dinner is optional - only if you really want to go there

Thanks for the details.. ok, about Tryst - heard about it, never been there. I live in Cleveland Park - about 5 min drive (not including find parking) & 10 min bike ride from the area. Not big on hanging out at coffee places but willing to give it a try if I can make out on some free wifi with my laptop without having to struggle with finding an open table. The parking for me in that area is such a hassle that it's not even worth it. BTW, I'm from California which explains my desire to use the automobile as the primary form of transportation.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't drink?
confused.gif
Yeah, good luck with that. These kind of topics always depress me a little for some reason.

rexthedestroyer

Reaction score
DC is full of young single people. I am surprised that you have a problem meeting people. If you are a young guy, the bar scene has to be where you go. In the 22-35 age group, the bars are the primary place to meet people. Passing up on going to bars will highly limit your ability to meet people (Women). What you might want to do is join some social groups such as running and rock climbing clubs. Any kind of group where young people would participate in. Once you are in that group, befriend some of them and go from there.

Push come to shove, I say hit on as many women during that day that you can, and then go on a lot of dates. You might not have the guy buddies that you want, but at least you will be getting laid a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads