• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BMW 3 Series vs BMW 5 series

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the 3-series coupe flow but the wheelbase of the 5 ... so I bought a six series.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Cid

Reaction score
I had the good fortune to experience the BMW Performance Driving School last year - 1 day treating a 335i (sport package) like a rental car! No doubt the best driving adventure I have encountered - far surpassed anything I could get my '81 911SC to do. There are a few decent videos about the Performance Driving School on youtube if you want a taste.

I live close to where BMW makes their Z3 and X5, so there are tons of BMW model variants all over the roads here. Several friends have 7 series models. For the value and performance, though, I would go with the 3 series... if my driving record could afford it, of course!

Reaction score
I prefer the 5 series to due to the space and comfort. I'm about 6'1 and i love the head and leg room. Everytime i drive the 3, i feel really crammed. I own both a black E60 5er and white E92 3er. My fiance drives the 3er and I drive the 5er. BMW family all the way. I must say that the 5 series with the sports package handles very well, I take my car to the canyons and have no problem whats so ever. What do u plan on doing with the car. If u want a car to commute and be comfortable, the 5 series is the way to go. If you want a fast car get a 335i and get the procede V3 chip, you will be able to blow past E92 M3s. You can pm me any questions regarding either the 5 series or 3 series. I'll be glad to answer questions

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only attractive BMWs are M variants and the 335 coupe. I have had 5 series as loaners and the are too big, and 328s as loaners and they feel cheap with that horrid thin-rimmed vinyl feeling steering wheel. The 335 is nice.

New 3 series sedan - ugly

Current 5 series - ugly

Current 7 series - ugly

6 series - boat, definitely a wealthy woman car

M6 is a whole different beast. Nice car.

New M3 is ugly with those stock wheels which look like they've got brake dust not cleaned in years. The 19 upgrade is much better.

Still think the outgoing M3 and E46 performance-packaged facelifted coupe are better looking than anything they make now.

KBW

Reaction score
I'd take a 550 over a 3. I just bought a condo right off campus as gas prices, my firm being right off campus, fiance four hours away at med school, and the fact that my schedule will be spread out the next two years in grad school it made sense to live off campus instead of my lakehouse 25 mins away...I can look outside my window and count 8-10 3 series and not one 5. There's far too many 3's out there and I live near the greenville/spartanburg bmw factory so that makes the 3 even more numerous (workers there get them on lease extremely cheap with free service/tires/etc). I've never liked them though. I've driven a 550 and my mother had an m6 for a while and those two and the current higher end x5 are the only current bmws i'd own.

Beta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BallinOnABudget
I prefer the 5 series to due to the space and comfort. I'm about 6'1 and i love the head and leg room. Everytime i drive the 3, i feel really crammed. I own both a black E60 5er and white E92 3er. My fiance drives the 3er and I drive the 5er. BMW family all the way. I must say that the 5 series with the sports package handles very well, I take my car to the canyons and have no problem whats so ever. What do u plan on doing with the car. If u want a car to commute and be comfortable, the 5 series is the way to go. If you want a fast car get a 335i and get the procede V3 chip, you will be able to blow past E92 M3s. You can pm me any questions regarding either the 5 series or 3 series. I'll be glad to answer questions

+1 to 335 with twins, although im personally looking at 2001 Audi S4 (twins) or same yr. 540i Sport (torque!)

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
I'd take a 550 over a 3. I just bought a condo right off campus as gas prices, my firm being right off campus, fiance four hours away at med school, and the fact that my schedule will be spread out the next two years in grad school it made sense to live off campus instead of my lakehouse 25 mins away...I can look outside my window and count 8-10 3 series and not one 5. There's far too many 3's out there and I live near the greenville/spartanburg bmw factory so that makes the 3 even more numerous (workers there get them on lease extremely cheap with free service/tires/etc). I've never liked them though. I've driven a 550 and my mother had an m6 for a while and those two and the current higher end x5 are the only current bmws i'd own.

So you have a condo, a lake house, and your mother had an m6... yeah, those gas prices must really be killing you.
musicboohoo[1].gif

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
I just bought a condo right off campus as gas prices, my firm being right off campus, fiance four hours away at med school, and the fact that my schedule will be spread out the next two years in grad school it made sense to live off campus instead of my lakehouse 25 mins away...

What the hell does this have to do with anything? Good for you..

Walter Ross

Reaction score
I have the 2001 bmw 530i sedan and if I sit in the front some one small has to sit behind me I'm 6 ft and there is not that much room in the back of a 530i. I have my sister sit behind me driving once and she said it was fine but if she was any taller she said it would be uncomfortable and she is 5"4 and my friend has the 328i 2000 and I have no room in that car unless I sit in the front and it is smaller than my car but we take my car usually now
:slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads