• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black shirts

maufic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Black shirt with ties is the bank teller's uniform in California. Sometimes they even pair black shirt with gray suits. Perfect color combination for marsupialed city college drop outs.

What kind of stupid comment is that. There are a lot of people that think a black shirt with a gray suit looks good, on some.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed that the hatred of black for daywear is overdone here. I can think of several good uses for a black shirt:

Paired with a white tie it would be great if I were auditioning for the role of Nathan Detroit. (With apologies to Manton--I got that from his book!)

If I wanted to join a neo-fascist organization or just express my admiration for the heroic Duce!

Beyond that, I'm not so sure....

MrFab

Reaction score
in my opinion it could be possible but it's insanely hard to oull off. the only time i ever wear one and it looks good on myself is if I'm pairing it with something super casual like a pair of jeans and some casual shoes like a converse and I wear that instead of a tee or something. On the other hand, if you're having trouble getting into a club you can dress it with a suit and theyll mistake you for security and let you in (just bring a change of clothes once you're in)

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
I'm guessing they're bouncers.

Friend of my fiancee runs an company of bouncers and security personnel. They all look like that.

Google "Georgi Iliev".

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Black shirt with grey or black suit (no tie) works really well. It can also be used with success casual monochrome looks. I have a couple of black dress shirts, I only pair them with other black pieces, and rarely at that, but I honestly don't understand the distaste for black you e-Genteelmen have.

Tuesday

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Yes, Clooney seems to have nailed it!

When one has George Clooney's face, it is always beneficial to frame it well. For the rest of us...

Musketer

Reaction score
I don't have George Clooney inferiority complex
smile.gif

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
dont care for black shirts. they bring back ugly memories of the fascisti.
brown shirts, the horrible nazis .
they are just colors but they bring back things i try to but cant forget.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Balloney- what you really mean is you can't pull it off... (nor can I, nor most others...) but some do very well by it:
st_Clooney_narrowweb__300x347,0.jpg
george-clooney-org.jpg

This is a sport shirt, not a dress shirt. A dress shirt is worn with a tie, not unbuttoned like you're channeling Matt. And the other poster's argument that they make them so they must be okay is utterly ridiculous. They make white spandex shorts in XL too. Does that mean they are a good idea?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics