• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

biking for the abs/fitness advice in the d.c. area

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was wondering what good biking does in terms of waist/stomach area. i know it's good cardio and my legs have been killing me off and on for the past month, but personally i don't feel any difference above the midsection, and i'm not fat or anything but plenty of times i see what appears to be regular bikers with a gut, and it does nothing to prove my theory otherwise. don't get me wrong, it's still my preferred way to travel but i just wanted to know if crunches/sit-ups are doing more for my abs than cycling.

also, i'm thinking of starting a new fitness plan that would require a diet, i'm comfortable with my weight i just need to tone a lot more than i am, and i was wondering if anyone could reccomend a place where i could get advice from fitness professionals about what i should be doing. hopefully fairly cheap since i am a broke college student.

Tiranis

Reaction score
Cardio takes of fat, crunches build up muscle that is behind that fat. So to your question: no crunches are not doing more for your stomach if you have a gut, as they are simply building up muscle behind all the fat. How often and how much do you usually go on your bike? You also might have a bad diet, too many fats or carbohydrates. If you want to lose weight, you should be eating smaller meals five or six times a day, with more protein and less carbs/fat. Also, 3500 calories = 1lb. as such you need to use up 3500 calories to lose one pound, providing you're eating just the right amount. If you're overeating you might just be preventing yourself form gaining weight. Here's a table of cal/hr for cycling: http://www.nutristrategy.com/fitness/cycling.htm

velobran

Reaction score
Cycling won't do much for the midsection. Possibly mountain biking might do a bit more since you would be moving around a lot more in the saddle. If you are only cycling, I recommend mixing in a little bit of running and working on your diet. Then, you are sure to loose extra midsection fat. Just be careful when doing crunches to keep good form. Cycling already stretches out your back and neck muscles, so unecessary pullling and tugging on them may hurt your cycling form and cause unwanted pain.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cycling won't do much for the mid section in terms of strengthening your abdominal muscles as the other two previous posters had stated. But on the other hand, if you work on having a strong core - mid section it does help with your cycling. If you are climbing a lot of hills, coming out of your saddle, or doing a lot of mountain bicycling, having a strong core is a benefit.

Tweaking your diet, and possibly a full body weight training plan, along with cycling for your cardio will give you the results you are looking for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads