• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Speaker Cables?

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
I'd like to mention that, as a degreed engineer, I am surprised that more audiophiles don't electrocute themselves. Especially given the half assed technical explanations given by the makers of the above said AC power cables.

Some people should read up on wikipedea what AC power, DACs, filters, shielding, and composition of copper and specifically what a dielectric is (and specifically the dielectric constant and what its used for and how its measured).

But actually knowing how things work means you can't use your ears!

ms244

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
But actually knowing how things work means you can't use your ears!

Your wallet will thank you for it.
bigstar[1].gif

On a side note, about expensive cables. Lots of industrial and scientific equipment requires their own cables (ex. PLC controllers). These are usually normal cables but with some proprietary connectors which can only be obtained from the manufacturer giving them a reason to rip you off some more.

turboman808

Reaction score
I admit I was using the crappiest speaker wire you could imagine. I changed it out last week for some cheap but better 14 gauge wire. Sounds alot better.

I think once I get my system all setup I am gonna measure and figureout what I need and order from the Blue jean place mentioned in the begining. Get custom lengths so I don't have wires hanging everywhere.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
I admit I was using the crappiest speaker wire you could imagine. I changed it out last week for some cheap but better 14 gauge wire. Sounds alot better.

I think once I get my system all setup I am gonna measure and figureout what I need and order from the Blue jean place mentioned in the begining. Get custom lengths so I don't have wires hanging everywhere.

Blue Jeans is good stuff no doubt, good value for the money, but I have found there are better cables out there.

Use quality interconnects as well.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Virtual Dynamics cables and power cords (sadly, the company is now defunct). They were terribly overpriced. Built like hoses. Speaker cables be damned, but the power cords made all the difference in tightening the bass on my Conrad Johnson/Proac D25's/ MF CDP system

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some Nordost Flatline speaker cable off of eBay. I don't "believe" in cables but do believe in looks (or lack thereof, I don't want to see cables) and quality of termination. They were cheap, construction seems to be of high quality and their color disappears nicely against my wood floor. Nearly invisible :slayer:

Chuck Daly

Reaction score
You make a great point. This is a hobby, and aesthetics should play a role. I am part owner of a hifi shop in Rhode Island and I never push expensive cables, but it not right for me to poo poo on someones desire to own expensive cables with pretty connectors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads