• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best pair of Summer shoes: Penny Loafers vs Bucks vs Boat Shoes

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking to grab a pair of summer shoes, can't decide which one to pick up. I want a pair of penny loafers, but I want to save up for a more higher quality one—so its taking some time.

I see the j.crew and brooks brother classic bucks are looking sweet.

But the boat shoes look very slick as well.

I can't decide, what do you guys favor?

Its just for casual hang outs or casual work day shoes.

Thanks in advance!

rwaldron

Reaction score
1. Save up money for the loafers.
2. This leaves you to choose between Bucs and Boat shoes, which is a question of function rather than one of style. Boat shoes are designed to be worn sockless with shorts, and are especially helpfully in slippery environments (nautical locations, outdoors with the possibility of rain (i.e. the south during the summer), bars with slippery floors after you've reduced your ability to maintain sure footing as easily). Bucs, can be worn sockless with shorts, but I think it looks funny, and find them better with long pants or even a suit.

Thus the question is, are you looking for something to wear to BBQ's, Bars, Boats; or are you looking for something to wear to dinner and weddings?

Jkhan82

Reaction score

Thus the question is, are you looking for something to wear to BBQ's, Bars, Boats; or are you looking for something to wear to dinner and weddings?

Just wear on casual fridays to work, grad school classes and some local errands during the weekends.

Even tho boat shoes have a purpose, I've seen casual new yorks walking around with'em

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Since you seem to be on a bit of a budget just get a pair of Top-Siders and call it a day. No need to invest heavily in boat shoes and Sperry makes a pair that wear and age very well. Plus they're far more versatile than bucks.

Have more of a concern for quality and spending when it comes to penny loafers. Look for Blake construction and I'd go with shell cordovan, but that's just me.

jlewis

Reaction score
Boat shoes. They provide a very classic casual look and go well with shorts. I have 3 pairs of Sperry Top Siders that have been serving me well for about a year. They're very durable and can be cleaned easily if they get wet or dirty.

minervau

Reaction score
I'd actually vote for penny loafers for versatility. Boat shoes are too casual to be worn with chinos and blazer, but penny loafers can go with shorts and a polo.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know your lifestyle better than anyone so let the need dictate the choice. Most of us here have one pair of each and would encourage you to do the same.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go for driving mocassins as opposed to your choices.

Loafers are more formal, bucs are more spring/fall, and I just don't like boat shoes.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go for the bucks. I have a pair and everyone comments on them. They are perfect for just hanging, walking around and can actually be casual dress if needed (I've worn mine with a cotton suit). In addition, the red sole ones are very comfortable. That is the #1 reason I wear them.

Boat shoes are good if you are going to be active outdoors and hanging. Not all of them are comfortable for walking any distance. I don't know what you do for work but they can't be used for casual dress, just casual.

Loafers are nice but I would rather walk around a city or travel in my bucks. However, most loafers will be good for year-round wear.

I would watch the sales and perhaps you can pick up two of the three on sale and have the greatest versatility.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Google Image Search = Stupid Question Prevention Tool

Last edited:

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My bad, I thought bucks were short for something else, hence the question. Thanks for the pic though.

rwaldron

Reaction score
I go for driving mocassins as opposed to your choices.
Loafers are more formal, bucs are more spring/fall, and I just don't like boat shoes.

I had a nice long conversation with a shoes salesman (I believe it may have been at Perlis, but I may be mistaken on that one), where I learned that driving shoes are for driving and nothing else. Apparently, the upper wraps around to the bottom and it is not designed to come into frequent contact with materials like concrete or rocks. Essentially walking damages them. Furthermore, since the bottom is typically the same piece of leather as the upper, repairing these shoes is rarely possible. The short of it: Driving shoes are meant to be kept in the car. Put them on when you get in, take them off when you get out. Because of this, I opted instead for a simple pair of bit loafers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads