• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Options for 1L Summer Job in this Economy?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
now is the time all 1L's study for exams AND start applying for jobs/internships for the summer ...
due to poor economy, most paid jobs will be taken by 2L's who can't find jobs themselves, which limits options for 1L's

so any lawyers/firms on here hiring, haha? or recent grads of law school that can point out options, pointers, etc.?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck on finals, dude. I'm gearing up for my first one ever, Contracts, in a few days. This will be my last post on StyleForum for now.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
McDonald's. Sorry to say, but you're goign to law school at a terrible time. I'd be very open-minded, look for pursuits outside of law firms (that's the route I wound up taking)

theincumbent

Reaction score
I'd recommend applying for part time positions with small or solo firms. Look for those
that do General practice - such as PI/Family/Criminal.

It seems like Solo/Small Firms are doing better than their BigLaw counterparts in this economy.

Its not going to be a higher paying job with the big PI firms that top 1Ls got in the old days, but it will give you experience with a variety of different fields of law. You may end up with more practical experience than others.

Good Luck.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do something, even if you aren't getting paid. It'll give you something to talk about in the 2L interviews.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dominate your exams. That will give you a big leg up in 1L hiring season (which may be better than you expect, at least based on some reports that some firms are already double-dipping on 2L hiring).

If all else fails and remunerative employment can't be found, volunteer-clerk for a judge (preferably in a city you hope to practice in).

- You will potentially get a broad exposure to the law (criminal and civil).
- It will look much better for getting a future judicial clerkship than working at XYZ Law Firm
- Judges have big networks, and can help you out in the future.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol was hoping for better answers ...

makes sense but was trying to optimistic
eh.gif

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
lol was hoping for better answers ... makes sense but was trying to optimistic
eh.gif

Ha! Sorry, you're going to be a lawyer? And you wanted to be optimistic? I've never met an optimistic lawyer in my life (except some broad who worked for the City). You want to be optimistic, be a weather forecaster instead!
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
makes sense but was trying to optimistic
eh.gif

FAIL. Leave that to bankers who get FAILouts and politicians who peddle hope and change. You should be planning next summer, not based on short term plans, but on where you want to be your 3L year. I just noticed you're at Georgetown. Your city is full of internship options for the summer. There are 80,000-ish lawyers in the DC area. A volunteer clerkship on the DC Circuit, Court of Federal Claims, Tax Court, or in an administrative branch will set you up much better for 2L and 3L than working for a solo or small law shop.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah im planning on going the judicial internship route at one of the courts (hopefully federal)

thanks all

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, paid or unpaid, make sure it's legal related so you can have something to talk about in 2L OCIs.

Law school grades aren't as important after the first semester of 1L (and maybe 2nd semester).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads