• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Compact Digital Camera

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Panny Lumix series is EXCELLENT bang for the buck.

+1

Just picked up an inexpensive DMC-FS7.

Has a good selection of manual controls, pretty good lens. Very good low light performance for a P&S ultracompact. Very fast too.

Great for a beater camera.

Mauby

Reaction score
I've had a Canon ELPH for years. It takes great pictures and I'm no photographer nor do I pretend to be.

jcru

Reaction score
I am glad this thread came up, because for me, it will always be about reconciling "best" (as in picture quality) with "compact" (size matters, after all). After years using a Panasonic Lumix (whose Leica lens produces wonderful pictures), I just bought my first Canon Elph SD940. The nominal wide-angle is surpassed only by the compactness of this sturdily-built camera, and thus far, I love it! You might consider the Canon SD1400, as well: it's a later model and feels lighter & more ergonomic in the hand. Prices should range between $200-240.

Good luck in your search!

legit

Reaction score
I love my Canon and think it takes excellent pictures for what it is. I've stuck with the brand through the years.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I'd recommend a Panasonic Lumix or a Canon. Ixnay on the Sony, they're usually not good p&s cameras.

Originally Posted by gumercindo
Panny Lumix series is EXCELLENT bang for the buck.

I agree with this, excellent quality for the price.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I've got the Canon PowerShot SD780IS, so far its the best camera I've used to date. It takes great HD video as well, it looks really good.

If I could do it all over again, I'd get a Cannon SLR for good photos, and get a cheap Kodak/Polaroid Point and shoot, possibly get a water/shock/dust resistant point and shoot.

The photos from the $100 Kodak/Polaroid P&S look just as good as my $200 Cannon. But the SLR blows all those out of the water.

yodawg

Reaction score
is ricoh a good brand? i'm looking at the r10, which is the cheapest. it's made in china though. but reviews say quality is good anyway.

CHenry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yodawg
is ricoh a good brand? i'm looking at the r10, which is the cheapest. it's made in china though. but reviews say quality is good anyway.
Ricoh is a very good brand. They are better distributed in Europe and Asia than in North America, but the online retailers carry many of their models. Their lenses have been very highly regarded for a long time, both in their film and digital products. Their specialty is compact cameras. Their GXR line mates the lens to a specific sensor in a complete module that is interchangeable, a unique offering in the digital market. Ricoh has the reputation as a photographer's camera maker. I have the GX200 which is a 3x wide to short telephoto zoom compact. It is a very good small traveling camera.

yodawg

Reaction score
thanks CH! which model do you rec for just a p&s? i'm not really an expert photographer or anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads