• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belts

What’s your choice of belts? And why?

• Allen Edmonds

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Brooks Brothers

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Anachronist

Reaction score
Personally, I have to add that I don't own any of these manufacturers belts but have looked at them a number of times in their respective shops. The Allen Edmonds belts looked better made and of higher quality leather to me and I assume they make them themselves (which again would also make them more appealing to me) opposed to Brooks Bros, who will source them from several suppliers across the globe. In general I go less by brand rather than quality of craftsmanship and perceived leather quality. There are still a number of small quality manufacturers out there that make lovely leatherware and belts that, whilst being a little more expensive, will last a lifetime.

Sewn on buckles are always a good start opposed to the el cheapo reversible belts (who actually ever reverses a belt to show off the worn inner side??) and/or those with screw fastened buckles.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither. Hermes H buckle, Balmain lizard, soon to be Dunhill 'croc'(?) and a blue polo suede one.

#eurodouche

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of my belts are from Equus Leather. I do have a couple manistee belts from AE to go with my Walnut and Bourbon shoes. I really prefer the bridle leather belts for durability. While the AE belts look nice, they just don't hold up quite as well as bridle leather. But, I do like the better patterning on the manistees. So, it depends on how often a given belt is being worn. For a belt I was wearing 2 or 3 times a week 50 weeks a year it would be hard for me to use anything other than bridle.
For my suits, I wear braces, so the plain styling doesn't matter.

Grownupsfashion

Reaction score
I bought a Boss belt a few years back for around $100 and was sorely disappointed. I figured the quality would be good but the leather is cheap. After only a few months the leather became brittle and started showing white scratches. I also have the Manistee Dress Belt from Ellen Edmond and I like it a lot. Good quality and a fair price. Here is a link https://global.allenedmonds.com/acc...F74011.html?dwvar_SF74011_color=74006#start=3. I have always liked the Bottega Veneta belts because I love the matte dark grey buckle they use. But I didn't want to spend $550 on a belt. I found a very good alternative here https://dalgado.de/en/shop-men/belts/remy?c=63. The quality is amazing and it is almost $400 cheaper than the Bottega belt. Hope that helps!

jaxenro

Reaction score
For daily wear I use the belt that I bought with my concealed carry holster. A bit thick but it’s heavy duty leather

For dressier I have a few Brooks Brothers dress belts. With the employee discount the price just becomes too good to turn down

4fashionssake

Reaction score
For me, it totally depends on the outfit: Smooth leather belts for suits and overall more dressy outfits. I love to pair my Allen Edmonds shoes with the matching Allen Edmonds belt. It is the same color and the same "hole pattern" (sorry for the lack of the proper term). For more casual outfits, I enjoy wearing braided or wool belts. I think it is a very clean look to pair suede Chelsea Boots with a like-colored suede braided belt.

Deluxxe

Reaction score
These are a few standard pieces i keep in rotation. From right to left: White leather Perry Ellis, great for spring/summer wear (linen suits, etc.). Johnston & Murphy American Alligator, standard for suits. Leather Italian belt I picked up while in Tuscany. Snakeskin belt, good for khaki/twill suits.

IMG_4505.JPG

Anachronist

Reaction score
For those of you living in Europe, the German belt manufacturer "Kreis" is a recommendation : http://www.kreis-ledermanufaktur.de/ ... unfortunately the website is only in German :-/

Outstanding leather quality and craftsmanship (especially their cordovan belts last a lifetime) and the ability to even customize your own belt make this manufacturer a good choice.

bigwilly

Reaction score
I have more belts then I could possibly ever need. The best value belts from my collection I feel are the Allen Edmonds, Magnanni both are crafted of good quality leather.
Flashy name brands like LV and Salvatore Ferregamo are nice but overpriced for what it is. The quality of leather is meh and you really are paying for the name.
Prada and Canali are nice and in my experience the quality of the leather is better than the above noted 2 brands.
Hermes belts are crafted with very fine leather and the buckles are finished to the nth degree but at the price it should be.

Hope this helps

Prakash kumar

Reaction score
Such a subtle addition to a man's outfit. It is easy to see why a man would go for one of cheaper quality. However, I would highly advise against this. Along with being a practical accessory, a belt can be a great transition piece between your bottom and top halves. I firmly believe that every man should own a few belts. However, you may be hesitant to spend more than you need to for one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads