• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Begs the question"

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JaPo
Jesus, yes.

Right under the thumb. Ouch.

How people ignore the absolute redundancy of that statement is beyond me.

It's not redundancy. It's missing a negator. And knowing is half the battle.

gijoe.jpg

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JaPo
Jesus, yes.

Right under the thumb. Ouch.

How people ignore the absolute redundancy of that statement is beyond me.

I think most of them could literally care less.

JaPo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
It's not redundancy. It's missing a negator. And knowing is half the battle.

gijoe.jpg

That's what you're here for, Teach.

Noted.

trollface.png

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wingcat
good spelling and proper syntax are, to my mind, signs of good manners and civility. also, being an older guy, i always thought Shampoo was one of the movies that defined, among many other movies, modern american culture.
I am enjoying the fact that you eschew capitalizing the first word of each sentence but still make the effort to capitalize the movie title.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
+1
people got to be stop being tightwads (except for lawyerdad) around here. it is the webz. trust me, i didnt graduate no college or submit work papers using no capitals all the time.

Damn straight, I spent years developing my tightwadosity and am not about to cast it aboveboard now.

And for what it's worth, I was always down with "decadent".

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
cromulent

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Can we say hoisting with one's own petard?
I'll allow it, but assuming this thread is "Pedanticon 2009: how to parse phrases over-literally", I would claim to have no clue what you meant.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
oh i caught it. i used the wrong word. not tight wad. but basically, dont get your panties in a bunch. was what i meant.

It was clear what you meant. That's why I prefer boxers.

wingcat

Reaction score
lawyerdad's comments are well taken regarding not capitalizing the first letter of sentences when i post on the internet, however i believe, and maybe i am wrong, that internet posts generally do not observe that grammatical necessity. you will also note that i do not capitalize "I", again because internet posts in general do not observe that rule. in my opinion it is important to kmow the rules and know when you are breaking them. i try to do that but i am not perfect. i try to conform to internet protocol although i know that it is the easy way out.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Interestingly, "grammar" and "glamour" have the same etymological root. As does "grimoire".

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
It's annoying that everyone says "Having said that" after everything. You could tell an audience, "You're all a bunch of idiots. Having said that, I'm very happy to be here."
Nice CYE plagiarism
fing02[1].gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wingcat
lawyerdad's comments are well taken regarding not capitalizing the first letter of sentences when i post on the internet, however i believe, and maybe i am wrong, that internet posts generally do not observe that grammatical necessity. you will also note that i do not capitalize "I", again because internet posts in general do not observe that rule. in my opinion it is important to kmow the rules and know when you are breaking them. i try to do that but i am not perfect. i try to conform to internet protocol although i know that it is the easy way out.

Capitalization is a matter of style, not grammar.
teacha.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOLOLOL
Originally Posted by HomerJ
OK fine. This needs to said. Sho'nuff: Please stop abusing the word qualitative In the month of November alone: THIS **** HAS GOT TO STOP

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads